That After Lunch Dead Zone - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

That After Lunch Dead Zone

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

That After Lunch Dead Zone

cutting some baseboard today. I had to put the baseboard in a closet with a 28.8 deg. angle. It's a dumb closet!

Anyway I cut, and cut and cut - nope. What's wrong?? so I took a break, went for coffee then "aha!" I blame it on low blood sugar. hey that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

So then comes the fun problem of how to cut a 75.6 degree miter on a saw that cut's max 60 degrees.

4 1/4" baseboard, the kapex won't go through it. I set the saw at 60, then used some backing and sorta held the baseboard out another 15 degrees. It cut most of the way through, then I used my hand sander to finish up the rest.

I would have cut it on the flat, with one end of the baseboard held up with something, but the front arms of the kapex kept getting in the way, so I couldn't get the steep angle that I needed.

I'll be darned if it didn't work

I glued it together and let it set before I installed it, as there's no way to get the nailer into that narrow space.

Lesson here is don't run out of coffee after lunch.

Last edited by Mrmac204; 03-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

Re: That After Lunch Dead Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmac204 View Post
cutting some baseboard today. I had to put the baseboard in a closet with a 28.8 deg. angle. It's a dumb closet!

Anyway I cut, and cut and cut - nope. What's wrong?? so I took a break, went for coffee then "aha!" I blame it on low blood sugar. hey that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

So then comes the fun problem of how to cut a 75.6 degree miter on a saw that cut's max 60 degrees.

4 1/4" baseboard, the kapex won't go through it. I set the saw at 60, then used some backing and sorta held the baseboard out another 15 degrees. It cut most of the way through, then I used my hand sander to finish up the rest.

I would have cut it on the flat, with one end of the baseboard held up with something, but the front arms of the kapex kept getting in the way, so I couldn't get the steep angle that I needed.

I'll be darned if it didn't work

I glued it together and let it set before I installed it, as there's no way to get the nailer into that narrow space.

Lesson here is don't run out of coffee after lunch.
As unhealthy as I keep being told it is, I work right through the lunch "area" every day. It just disrupts my train of thought and wastes time and I know that I am VERY unusual in that way. Employees can do that though. When I eat lunch, I tend to get lazy in the afternoon.

Weird eh? But it works for me.

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
designer + carpenter

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 510

Sometimes a good snack around 10ish will help me keep going. Try nuts like walnuts or cashews, they have protein.

So the Kapex won't cut 4-1/4" tall base standing up against fence on that miter angle?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NINZAN STUDIO For This Useful Post:
rotarex (03-14-2014), rselectric1 (03-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,318

I'll eat lunch food on the way to the job, then maybe a snack later. Many days I'll just skip lunch and eat when I get home, even a 12-14 hour day. Stopping to actually leave and eat at a restaurant for lunch looks fun, but I wouldn't get started again.
rselectric1 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
Finishing Carpenter

Trade: finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 720

The kapex cutting capacity is something that I used to know, but I can't remember what it is right now. It's in metric so basically it's a mystery to me anyway.

There's times that I miss my old 12" Milwaukee though, that pig would cut through 10 feet if I set it up LOL not really, but there were times when that huge capacity sure came in handy.

As for snacks, yes I do have something about 10ish or so, some fruit and water. Lunch is kind of an inconvenience, I don't like stopping when I'm on a roll but if I don't I run into problems. Generally it's short, 10 minutes.

I'm trying to cut down on the coffee, boy that's hard to do! this is my get-healthy year. and lose 50 lbs. A good start though, down 1/2 lb this week!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmac204 View Post
A good start though, down 1/2 lb this week!
A week? I do that every morning.

My painter sets his lunch out next to his toolbox. Every time he is over there getting something, he grabs a bite or two.

A few years ago I asked him about it, and he explained the obvious. A lunch break means dried rollers and nozzles. More efficient to eat while working.

I've done the same since, usually eat in my tool belt if working alone. If I stop, I have to start it up all over again. Im like an old truck, best to keep it idling.

Never understood the guys who leave site for an hour for lunch. It's great they have it like that, but that's an hour I'd rather spend with my family and friends at night.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Lunch is more of a mental break for me... I like to bs with the guys about something other than work. A long lunch does drag me down in the afternoon. A short lunch with a sandwich is perfect.

Cole
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ interior systems
Rewards Points: 742

I'm union we get 35 min lunch occasionally we take 15 min to leave early but I think more than 35 min is too much I mean we don't get paid so we have to work that other half hour. I would much rather leave 30 min early!

Advertisement