You Can Get This At The Employee Rate - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

You Can Get This At The Employee Rate

Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

You Can Get This At The Employee Rate

This is just something that doesn't sit well with me.Have you noticed the influx of ads that state that "we will sell to you at the employee rate/discount?"Whether it's true or not that you may be able to purchase something at the employee rate,if I were an employee of said company,I would feel like "what the hell",I am not valued anymore then the average customer and I'm supposed be loyal to the company?Any one else feel that this undermines the employee.Just thinking out loud here.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath
Rewards Points: 502

Re: You Can Get This At The Employee Rate

I completely agree and have thought the same thing, seems like something the car companies started.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Professional Handyman

In the case of the auto manufacturers, if I were an employee and those ads kept me employed, I wouldn't care what "discount" the consumer was getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Pro

I believe you're right Orson.I wasn't sure if anyone else had even seen this or if the influx was in just my area.I wonder how many employees have confronted management about this.Depending on the scope of work,I would gladly help out any of my employees at 1/2 price to no charge at all,depending on the individual,or just charging parts,you know what I mean.It's easy to say I guess from my standpoint as I only have one guy that I try to keep busy.You can't go half price on a car,but by golly,you gotta take care of those who take care of you.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailHandyman View Post
In the case of the auto manufacturers, if I were an employee and those ads kept me employed, I wouldn't care what "discount" the consumer was getting.
I understand your point to a certain degree,which is why I'll never be money wealthy,but I always told myself when I was working my way up ,that I would like to treat my people the way I would have liked to be treated.I pay well ,have an interest in thier well-being,and teach them as much as I can[share the knowledge].Many contractors here do business in a similar manner from what I have read,much to thier credit.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
(aka 'The Wolf')

Trade: Home Improvement / Custom Tile Installations
Rewards Points: 150

That whole "employee rate" thing that's sprung up recently is all a ploy to get people to buy because they think they're getting a deal. People love to feel like they're getting the insider's price, retail for wholesale. Another example of this is common in places like St Thomas and stores that brag about selling products "Duty free", especially Duty Free (tax-free) jewelry. Well, the reality is that everything sold down there is Duty-Free, but to the average tourist that comes in on a cruise ship and only there for a day, when they see Duty-Free they lose their biscuits and go nuts buying because they think they're getting some fantastic deals at that store that they couldn't get anywhere else.
http://www.bgpublishing.com/
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Pro

You're absolutely right,so do they tell the employees "hey,we say we're giving the deal" but just stay hush-hush and we all know that we are lying to the public and you folks will still get your good deal,or do they create scepticism within the work place.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
(aka 'The Wolf')

Quote:
Originally Posted by threaderman View Post
You're absolutely right,so do they tell the employees "hey,we say we're giving the deal" but just stay hush-hush and we all know that we are lying to the public and you folks will still get your good deal,or do they create scepticism within the work place.
Really it could go either way. Or they could be depending on the fact that people are just happy to be keeping their jobs -- period.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Pro

Very true.I believe I had posted about this topic before but didn't generate much feed-back.I thought I would give it a little more time to see if these ads were spreading,so sorry if this topic is redundant but they are popping up everywhere here,it's a low-class technique in my opinion,and most likely an outright lie and false advertising.JMHO.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: deck contractor
Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Very true.I believe I had posted about this topic before but didn't generate much feed-back.I thought I would give it a little more time to see if these ads were spreading,so sorry if this topic is redundant but they are popping up everywhere here,it's a low-class technique in my opinion,and most likely an outright lie and false advertising.JMHO.
hi Joe i think your starting to figure this out. when i see this kind of marketing i ask myself who started this first. Auto sales right. in my opinion auto sales people are the most creative in this world. this particular gimmick reminds me of the no haggle price of a Chevy Saturn a while back. The price was clearly printed on the vehicle no haggling down the price it was the lowest Chevy could afford. Now if you purchased this car with cash on the spot if somehow the dealership didn't sink the deal you got a FAIR price. Fair for you and fair for them, OK. But most deals aren't for cash on the spot. Most folks have a trade in, that's where they got ya. If you believed Chevy was selling you a car at the lowest price possible then you might be gullible enough to take a very low trade in price for your old car. Same here just a ploy to get you in there showroom.
If your an employee of lets say GM and you take offence to them giving your discount to the public take it up with your union rep. lol
Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
YourVisionIsOurCommitment

Trade: General Contractor

I wouldn't care. As long as my discounts were in tact and my benefits we still on point, I wouldn't mind sharing my company "benefits"
Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
(aka 'The Wolf')

Quote:
I completely agree... definitely a low stunt to pull. On that same note it's probably not false advertising if you can believe that. Larger ad agencies and lawyers go hand-in-hand like pimps and hookers (not necessarily in that order) and you can bet a gang of suits gave their legal clearance before Day 1 of producing the advertisement. Gotta remember -- they live and die on the margins that Immoral and Illegal are NOT the same.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike stanislaw View Post
hi Joe i think your starting to figure this out. when i see this kind of marketing i ask myself who started this first. Auto sales right. in my opinion auto sales people are the most creative in this world. this particular gimmick reminds me of the no haggle price of a Chevy Saturn a while back. The price was clearly printed on the vehicle no haggling down the price it was the lowest Chevy could afford. Now if you purchased this car with cash on the spot if somehow the dealership didn't sink the deal you got a FAIR price. Fair for you and fair for them, OK. But most deals aren't for cash on the spot. Most folks have a trade in, that's where they got ya. If you believed Chevy was selling you a car at the lowest price possible then you might be gullible enough to take a very low trade in price for your old car. Same here just a ploy to get you in there showroom.
If your an employee of lets say GM and you take offence to them giving your discount to the public take it up with your union rep. lol
You're right Mike,automobile advertising is among the most creative ,right up there with the beer commercials! And the other post is spot on from an employees stand-point,as long as I [the employee] am well taken care of ,I could care less if you gave out gold bars.It just sounds sleazy,get the family price ,get the employee price ,etc,it's hard to take these ads seriously because they are so far fetched.Well,I've wanted to talk to somebody about this particular subject,thanks for amusing me!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: deck contractor
Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
You're right Mike,automobile advertising is among the most creative ,right up there with the beer commercials! And the other post is spot on from an employees stand-point,as long as I [the employee] am well taken care of ,I could care less if you gave out gold bars.It just sounds sleazy,get the family price ,get the employee price ,etc,it's hard to take these ads seriously because they are so far fetched.Well,I've wanted to talk to somebody about this particular subject,thanks for amusing me!
Hi again Joe. ya man you need a sense of homer if your a employee of the big three auto makers.

Advertisement