Who Does Radio Ads? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Who Does Radio Ads?

Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Who Does Radio Ads?

I've been mulling over the idea of radio advertising. I'm wondering what others impressions are?

Locally there is a window and door guy who has probably spent 6 yrs doing consistent radio ads, and IMO it works From a homeowner perspective he's be my first call the name is so familiar.

My expectation from a radio campaign would be.
-name recognition
-I'd expect 3-6 months before I saw any real roi.
My goal is to get people to know I exist, and go to my website or phone.

I have 3 ways I am looking at.

-19k/yr (5) 15 sec commercial /day 365/yr
-12k yr 3 weeks on 1 off (5) 15 sec spots /day
- 6k yr a weekend spot sat or sunday, 6 15 sec spots on either day.

It's christian music station so Sunday may be the perfect spot.
The demographic for the station is 30-45 yr old women $ 50k-100K family income.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Who Does Radio Ads?

Hey Hugh, Try a search. Question been posed before.

Start here:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f12/radio-time-90929/

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Design + Remodeling

Trade: Interior Design and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

We run a 3 week on and 1 off schedule. We also only advertise on Mon, Tues, and Wed. We are on 6 stations and all ads we run are endorsements ads from that station's personalities. I am hoping to expand to more stations very soon.

San Antonio Remodeling | Interior Design San Antonio | Facebook | Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Flooring & cabinetry
Rewards Points: 268

I'm running on one station. Started Feb 2010 and Feb-Mid May of 2010 got some decent results, enough to pay for a year of the campaign. Then went dead. Suspended it the end of October 2010 after 5-1/2 months without even a call. Started back up late April this year (2011). In the 5 weeks back I've had one call from a bottom feeder.

All sorts of opinions on it. I think radio can be good, but if the market is dead then NOTHING works. Have my doubts that radio is GREAT unless you have the money to do a wide-spread campaign on multiple stations.

I'd try the $12,000 program if you have the budget to risk.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Subcontractor
Rewards Points: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarSA View Post
We run a 3 week on and 1 off schedule. We also only advertise on Mon, Tues, and Wed. We are on 6 stations and all ads we run are endorsements ads from that station's personalities. I am hoping to expand to more stations very soon.
I would think the radio personality point is key. Did you ever advertise on radio without using the personalities?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

About 6 months ago, BamBam was considering it. He decided against it. There was a thread about it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Someone say my name??
Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Design + Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Control View Post
I would think the radio personality point is key. Did you ever advertise on radio without using the personalities?
We ran ads on one station for 2 years and usually got 3-4 calls a month from them. We then switched to having the morning drive and afternoon drive personalities give live endorsements at the beginning of this year. Then we started getting 3-4 calls a week from the ads. After getting those results, I went to 5 other news talk and sports stations and had everyone of their personalities do live endorsements for us.

What is great about the live endorsements is that typically they are done right when going to commercial break so your commercial is not jammed in the middle of a break and the your spot feels like its part of the show. Also the listeners trust the personality so there is not as long of a break-in period before they trust you and decide to call.

Also station personalities typically will only endorse one company and will not endorse any of your competitors. So it makes sense to lock-in as many of the top personalities in your market as possible. So far I have all the personalities from both sports talk stations in town and all the personalities from 2 of the top 3 news talk stations in town. I am planning to go after that station very soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to BRAVI For This Useful Post:
Solar Control (05-28-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/gc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarSA

We ran ads on one station for 2 years and usually got 3-4 calls a month from them. We then switched to having the morning drive and afternoon drive personalities give live endorsements at the beginning of this year. Then we started getting 3-4 calls a week from the ads. After getting those results, I went to 5 other news talk and sports stations and had everyone of their personalities do live endorsements for us.

What is great about the live endorsements is that typically they are done right when going to commercial break so your commercial is not jammed in the middle of a break and the your spot feels like its part of the show. Also the listeners trust the personality so there is not as long of a break-in period before they trust you and decide to call.

Also station personalities typically will only endorse one company and will not endorse any of your competitors. So it makes sense to lock-in as many of the top personalities in your market as possible. So far I have all the personalities from both sports talk stations in town and all the personalities from 2 of the top 3 news talk stations in town. I am planning to go after that station very soon!
What does that cost you?

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Design + Remodeling

3.5k a month

Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/gc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarSA
3.5k a month
: i am sure you are seeing a great return but I guess the old saying is true takes money to make money

"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker
Old 05-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 44

We run a 30 second spot at 9 am once a week on a popular country station. Costs me $10/week, for 52 weeks. Mainly for name recognition. Must be working, cause I've had quite a few people tell me they hear my ad. One mid range job will pay the entire year's bill.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Design + Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bweikel

: i am sure you are seeing a great return but I guess the old saying is true takes money to make money

It depends on your market. Here you can get 30 sec spots for around $20 plus talent fees. The most expensive spots here are $170. I know in larger markets you can't even get close to those numbers.

However smaller markets can be even cheaper like $5-$10 a spot. Might be worth checking out.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Flooring & cabinetry
Rewards Points: 268

LoneStar, you have really cheap rates! For the number 3 or so AM station here, a much smaller city, I'm paying $50 a spot plus about $500/month talent fee.

Used to be able to get "remnant" time and could get spots for $2 to $10 for a short run. Can't anymore. The parent company has claimed all the remnant time and packages it to national advertisers.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Design + Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG007
LoneStar, you have really cheap rates! For the number 3 or so AM station here, a much smaller city, I'm paying $50 a spot plus about $500/month talent fee.

Used to be able to get "remnant" time and could get spots for $2 to $10 for a short run. Can't anymore. The parent company has claimed all the remnant time and packages it to national advertisers.
We are a large city but the rates are very reasonable. The talent fees are not really expensive at all.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

For my market near Milwaukee I thought the rates were reasonable also.....all things considered.

I designed 5 preliminary radio ads as a possible marketing solution but still not sure if I really want to go that route.

My message is 100% about pushing my audience to my website and having them ask questions about plumbing help for free. Basically letting my audience pick the blog subjects. I will be able to answer them by blogging, YouTube, and interactive on screen drawings through screen capturing sofyware. Like I said though, I'm still not totally sold on radio. I think it works well for some and not so well for others depending on demographics etc.

Mike
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Design + Remodeling

Thats a good idea Mike. I have the guys mention my blog in the spots and it has really helped me increase my subscribers which allows me to add them to my email marketing campaigns.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Lonestar, you do a great job marketing your business.
I have a question for you. Do you ever have issues marketing out of your service area? Radio here covers such a dam large area its got me concerned.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
Design + Remodeling

Well I do get several calls a week from out of my service area but I think that I run into that problem with most of my advertising efforts; email, social, seo, broadcast television and radio. The only ones that do not produce out of area calls is direct mail and cable television.

Radio might creep outside my service area but more importantly it blankets my entire service area.

The Following User Says Thank You to BRAVI For This Useful Post:
Mike's Plumbing (05-28-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
About 6 months ago, BamBam was considering it. He decided against it. There was a thread about it.

I did read that before posted the thread, but he decided against it, so there was nothing to learn from it.

Advertisement