Is A Website Useful? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Is A Website Useful?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Is A Website Useful?


What's your experience with your website so far? Is a website a good investment? Is it worth having a website then a facebook page?
Contractorson12 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
test
 
cedarboarder's Avatar
 
Trade: Workaholic
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: BC Bring Cash
Posts: 2,761
Rewards Points: 850

Re: Is A Website Useful?


get it before some one else does. the worlds running out of .com names.
The longer you wait to worse your url name will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Advertisement

cedarboarder is online now  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


3k for the site. $500k in sales. Yea..... think it works


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (03-21-2019), Rio (03-20-2019), TNTRenovate (03-19-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (03-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


That's incredible return on investment. Did you also do the SEO for it or did you use ads?
Contractorson12 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
3k for the site. $500k in sales. Yea..... think it works


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's incredible return on investment. Did you also do the SEO for it or did you use ads?
Contractorson12 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Contractorson12 For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
That's incredible return on investment. Did you also do the SEO for it or did you use ads?


Had a second round of Seo done a year after it was built Thatís sales number is for about 3.5 years of the site


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Pro
 
Fishindude's Avatar
 
Trade: Industrial
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 449
Rewards Points: 960

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Not sure that a website is needed for smaller contractors under $500k to 1 mil in annual revenue. Smaller guys get most of their work from referrals and repeat clients, so hard core advertising is hardly needed.

When you have something to offer everyone, such as windows, or get bigger as a GC and need to generate consistent revenue, I think it's an absolute must to have a website so you can be easily found and have your online brochure out there for people to see.
Fishindude is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


For a service business with a very quick turnover I think itís more necessary To have a site than a company that specializes in 50k kitchens or 300k renovations. The latter is used more as a portfolio than a lead generating source IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (03-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
Pro
 
daffysplumbing's Avatar
 
Trade: plumber
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: California
Posts: 218
Rewards Points: 900

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Every business should have a website even if it has only one page. In fact, I've found that 1-page website are more than enough for most companies. You have to remember (think) that in the past people used yellow pages and white pages to look up businesses. Now, everyone uses their cell phones and computers. How can even your existing customers find your phone number when they can't find you on the internet. Even a 1-page website gives your customers a vote of confidence that says you are a real and established business.

Just a few minutes ago, I was curious about a house flipper I met for the first time today. So, my first move to find out about him was to look to see if he was legit and had a website.

All you need is one web page and you don't need all the fancy 'ABOUT US' and 'CONTACT' buttons and pages. Just about everyone on this planet should be able to make a decent 1-page website for free and in less than 2 hours.

As soon as you create a 1-page website you will get thousands of dollars worth free advertising when Google and other websites automatically list your website, phone number and services you provide and you won't even know this is happening. Not having a website is one-thousand times worse than having a business and refusing to list your business in the free listings in the yellow pages (when they existed).

"To be or not to be"

"To act or not to act”

Was that Shakespeare, or Hamlet?

Why do would you ask the question when the risk is not having a website. Or, put another way, are you willing to risk losing business by not having a website that costs you less that can be created and operated for less than $5 per year.

$5??? per year. Yes!!! It is super simple do do. All you need to do is host the website on your own computer and it takes less than 10 minutes to set up. If you are running a Windows computer type in IIS in your computer's search. Then, all you need to do is pay for the domain name every year and you can get that for as little as $5.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 03-19-2019 at 06:50 PM.
daffysplumbing is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Had a second round of Seo done a year after it was built Thatís sales number is for about 3.5 years of the site


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did your SEO work and how much did you have to pay? Did you see a big difference when you had no SEO on your website?
Contractorson12 is offline  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
How did your SEO work and how much did you have to pay? Did you see a big difference when you had no SEO on your website?


Worked out great. Iím not really the one to ask because I donít keep track well enough of how I get leads. Still canít even figure out google analytics.

Letís just say I might have low balled myself on the return I get from my investment. Some days during the busy season Iíll get 7 or 8 leads from the site. Plus all the Angieís and HA customers view the site as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,643
Rewards Points: 10,350

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Yeah Mr Gutter and I have the same guy, just use sites4contractors.com and move right on past the headache of DIY, hiring website scammers, seo scammers, websites that look great but don't rank, ect. You just don't know the horror you could go through.
JBM is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Yeah Mr Gutter and I have the same guy, just use sites4contractors.com and move right on past the headache of DIY, hiring website scammers, seo scammers, websites that look great but don't rank, ect. You just don't know the horror you could go through.
I'll check it out, 3K for a website & SEO sounds pretty expensive to me. Since I'm in a smaller area then NY. Did you get the same results as well?
Contractorson12 is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
 
MOTB's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,030
Rewards Points: 3,300

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
I'll check it out, 3K for a website & SEO sounds pretty expensive to me. Since I'm in a smaller area then NY. Did you get the same results as well?
Don't judge price without knowing what you are looking for in results. I work with people who will say they spent NOTHING, which really isn't true since they are Do-It-Yourself folks and are not valuing their time into the equation, to services that have sites for less than 1K, to a few K to over 10K.

But there are massive differences in the numbers. For example, a handyman can get away with a less visual appealing site, while a remodeling contractor will need to create a vision to attract a certain type of client.

And then a plumber or electrician may not need to have a visually appealing site, but may need to get specific into the types of plumbing and electrical work they do (residential versus commercial versus industrial).

So ask yourself, are you looking for a site to be more of a postcard online? Are you looking for any-and-all-leads or do you want a specific type of client? And then, compare to a handful of your competitors to position yourself accordingly.

My point is, there is no one specific answer so position accordingly and do not let a specific price determine where you want to be with your business next year. Time flies so fast, and planning on where you want to go is better than simply looking at it on where you are today.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Helping contractors find work with website marketing education & strategy planning
MOTB is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Don't judge price without knowing what you are looking for in results. I work with people who will say they spent NOTHING, which really isn't true since they are Do-It-Yourself folks and are not valuing their time into the equation, to services that have sites for less than 1K, to a few K to over 10K.

But there are massive differences in the numbers. For example, a handyman can get away with a less visual appealing site, while a remodeling contractor will need to create a vision to attract a certain type of client.

And then a plumber or electrician may not need to have a visually appealing site, but may need to get specific into the types of plumbing and electrical work they do (residential versus commercial versus industrial).

So ask yourself, are you looking for a site to be more of a postcard online? Are you looking for any-and-all-leads or do you want a specific type of client? And then, compare to a handful of your competitors to position yourself accordingly.

My point is, there is no one specific answer so position accordingly and do not let a specific price determine where you want to be with your business next year. Time flies so fast, and planning on where you want to go is better than simply looking at it on where you are today.

Hope that helps.
Well, that does makes sense. Thanks for your input. I'm just swamped with work/calls already and get a lot of referrals from friends and family. Why should I invest in one, if I'm getting leads from word of mouth?
Contractorson12 is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #16
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,643
Rewards Points: 10,350

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
I'll check it out, 3K for a website & SEO sounds pretty expensive to me. Since I'm in a smaller area then NY. Did you get the same results as well?
3k is a bargain. Yes I get a lot of work from it.
JBM is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
Well, that does makes sense. Thanks for your input. I'm just swamped with work/calls already and get a lot of referrals from friends and family. Why should I invest in one, if I'm getting leads from word of mouth?


Then you answered your own question about a site if youíre that busy. . Btw, 3k is so cheap for the amount of money youíll pull in Iíd pay 15k.(just kidding Carl) I got about 5k worth of leads just today from it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 03-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Contractorson12's Avatar
 
Trade: Handy Man
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Then you answered your own question about a site if youíre that busy. . Btw, 3k is so cheap for the amount of money youíll pull in Iíd pay 15k.(just kidding Carl) I got about 5k worth of leads just today from it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm skeptical because I've been burned with some stuff like this in the past. Do you sell your additional leads to other people or company?
Contractorson12 is offline  
Old 03-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,028
Rewards Points: 7,222

Re: Is A Website Useful?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractorson12 View Post
I'm skeptical because I've been burned with some stuff like this in the past. Do you sell your additional leads to other people or company?


No. Iím a gutter installer not Home Advisor lol. Getting a lot of leads dosnt always translate into closing on a lot jobs. My type of business requires a lot of leads/ jobs to stay busy. Installs go very quick.

I have to do a lot of selling. I probably wouldnít make very much money without my website. Itís that big of a deal to me


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 03-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,643
Rewards Points: 10,350

Re: Is A Website Useful?


More leads, more cherry picking, higher prices, add a helper... nothing but positives

Advertisement

JBM is offline  



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Website review if you have the time TLHWindows Websites and SEO 35 09-16-2013 12:48 PM
3D Design Video for Your Website? Rob Pankow Websites and SEO 0 01-04-2013 05:05 PM
Website Review Input tonyc56 Websites and SEO 12 01-02-2013 05:26 AM
new! glad i found this website sam2424 New Member Introductions 2 10-22-2012 05:51 PM
What is the purpose of your website? Crete Buster Marketing & Sales 4 01-28-2009 02:44 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?