Van Wrap- Does It Work? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Van Wrap- Does It Work?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Van Wrap- Does It Work?

I'm thinking about investing on have my van wraped with picures of our work and our contact information.

Does anyone generated leads from this?

I was thinking if I'm at a job site in a fatted comunity which allows no soliciting, this would be a good way of advertising my business.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Re: Van Wrap- Does It Work?

Every little bit helps. Like you said, it's a sitting billboard when you're on the job site. When people encounter your other ads, they'll say or think, "I've seen the vans before." Every point of contact brings you one step closer to the sale.

I've recently shared this story here, but I'll share it again anyway. Several years ago when I used to do signs and vehicle graphics, I had just finished lettering a van. I had pre-arranged with the client to drive the van back to their shop when it was ready. As I stopped at a convenience store along the way, a couple pulled in behind me and asked for a business card.

Does vehicle advertising pay? I believe the answer is an absolute yes unless it is ugly, tacky, and unprofessional. Even then, someone might still call.

I should add one more thing even if I risk sounding self-promotional. As a "former" sign guy, one reason I'm no longer in the biz is because the current market supports sign producers and sign designers, but rarely will you find both under one roof. If you find an "old school" sign guy, he will be the exception to the rule, but generally speaking, it's best to hire design and production separately. I highly recommend your local sign shop to produce and apply the graphics, but if you rely on them for design, you'll likely get sub par work.

If you want your vehicle to really stand out in the crowd, you'll need above average design. But keep in mind, there's a careful balance between above average and looking like the customer can't afford you (unless you want to look exclusive).

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 516

Thinking of doing this with a van I bought about a month ago instead of just the basic info. I like the look of it and think if done right looks very professional, however I don't know how effective it is for just one vehicle. I could see this helping tremendously with building a brand, and recognition in a fleet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #4

Trade: Interior Trim Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I've had my vehicles/trailers marked/wrapped for years and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, no other advertising has given me close to the same ROI. It also makes you look more professional when you pull up to the site. I would highly recommend it, but caution you not to over do it. Too much in too small of a space can just end up looking messy. Just my opinion, but I would suggest looking into a partial wrap, verses full wrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trim-man For This Useful Post:
FremontREO (06-14-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim-man View Post
I've had my vehicles/trailers marked/wrapped for years and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, no other advertising has given me close to the same ROI. It also makes you look more professional when you pull up to the site. I would highly recommend it, but caution you not to over do it. Too much in too small of a space can just end up looking messy. Just my opinion, but I would suggest looking into a partial wrap, verses full wrap.

Can those wraps be removed if/when you want to sell the vehicle?
The Following User Says Thank You to SK Remodeling For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (12-10-2015)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

I have a lot of people stop me and ask for a business card. They always say the same thing “I see your van every around town working on jobs, nice work got a business card”
Attached Thumbnails
Van wrap- does it work?-van-pics2-1-2-1-001.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
MagicPoolSvcs (11-07-2011)
Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #7

Trade: Windows,Siding,Roofing,Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post

Yes they can. I had my 2009 Chevy wrapped, and its been a attention getter and ROI
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim-man View Post
Agreed, don't bury your message in clutter.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk071077 View Post
Sure can, I just did one last weekend. Got an 04 GMC last week in trade for $$ owed (Needed another company vehicle anyway). It had been wrapped by the previous owner. Just do it on a warm day in direct sunlight. Take your time and it will peel right off. Getting a new wrap next week.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Construction Guru

Trade: Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickr3166 View Post
I'm thinking about investing on have my van wraped with picures of our work and our contact information.

Does anyone generated leads from this?

I was thinking if I'm at a job site in a fatted comunity which allows no soliciting, this would be a good way of advertising my business.
Advertising on your van is a really good idea. I don't know how long your projects typically take, but when you think about it, if you are parked outside of the same house for multiple days or weeks and all the neighbors are seeing it they will call you. Its the whole "keeping up with the Jones'"

Also, you will get alot of exposure from just being in regular traffic. Also, if the van does not to be used for a long period of time(overnight,vacation,lunch break) I would park it in a high traffic area.

You may also want to think about getting your advertising on a magnet and then attaching it to your van. This will increase the resale value when it comes time to get rid of it.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #11

Trade: Flooring

How much do wraps cost?
Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool34 View Post
You may also want to think about getting your advertising on a magnet and then attaching it to your van. This will increase the resale value when it comes time to get rid of it.
Great points in your post, but I'd recommend against the magnet. Although they usually stay on, they are known to fly off. The biggest reason to not use one is it makes you look like a hobbyist. That can send the wrong message and seriously limit the effectiveness.

If we were to take a vote here (or almost anywhere else), I doubt very many of us have ever bought from a company after seeing a magnet sign. I know I haven't.

Although your point about the resale value of the vehicle has merit, which would you rather have: tens to hundreds of thousands in jobs sold or an extra couple grand when you sell the vehicle?
country_huck (12-16-2011)
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #13

Trade: Windows,Siding,Roofing,Gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMPFDAS View Post
How much do wraps cost?

I paid $2700.00 for my full body wrap on my 2009 chevy pick-up. That included artwork, material and install.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMPFDAS View Post
How much do wraps cost?
Partial on truck $850.00 and that included perf on back window. The van partial next week will be about $1800.00.

I agree with Steve.......pass on the magnets.

I might also mention, to use your own pictures you will have to have very high resolution photos to use for a wrap.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #15

This is who I use www.dreamstreetgraphics.com. This might be a good sight to check out. A lot of nice work, but also several good examples of too much. The truck one of my sons drives (white 07 Ford) is in the "trucks" section. It's not hard to find and we have had a lot of compliments on it. Our trailers are also marked with the company logo etc but not wrapped.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

i paid $200.00
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #17

Trade: Skyhook operator

I had my truck lettered with my company name/number etc. and I know lots of people see it, but have only had a few calls which mentioned it. They were either from guys looking for work or a few advertising companies. Also, be prepared to be one of the most courteous drivers on the road!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by codaman View Post
Also, be prepared to be one of the most courteous drivers on the road!
Excellent point! When I used to sell vehicle graphics, I had people who refused to do them simply because they didn't want to be identified on the road (I guess they drove like I do ). That was before everyone had cell phones, so now it's an even bigger concern. The graphics can earn you a significant amount of business, but codaman's advice should be carefully heeded too.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #19

Trade: air duct cleaning

Wholeheartedly agree! The best promotion we've got going for our air duct company is our three vehicles out on the road. Clean, professional look, not over the top. Even have a picture of a vehicle in our ads.

Like the tip on being careful how you drive too!

GK
Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,439

Works for me. I get a lot of work off my vans.

Advertisement

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 70,000 Subscribers and over 11,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (12-08-2011), MagicPoolSvcs (11-07-2011)