USPS Every Door. - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

USPS Every Door.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Sponge

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 150

USPS Every Door.

Has anyone tried this service from the post office?

You give them your flyers and they drop it off on the routes you choose.

No more messing with addresses!

I signed up and the rates seem better than paying a walker $80 to throw your door hangers in the trash.

I figured at $80 a human would have to hit up 470 doors on foot to equal out.

I just need to finish flyer design.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Re: USPS Every Door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
Has anyone tried this service from the post office?

You give them your flyers and they drop it off on the routes you choose.

No more messing with addresses!

I signed up and the rates seem better than paying a walker $80 to throw your door hangers in the trash.

I figured at $80 a human would have to hit up 470 doors on foot to equal out.

I just need to finish flyer design.
Make sure you research the EDDM program carefully
CAREFULLY!!!!

ask me later about the 2 boxes of post cards I now own that EDDM REFUSES to deliver,LOL

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post

ask me later about the 2 boxes of post cards I now own that EDDM REFUSES to deliver,LOL
Tell us about it
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
GRB (08-04-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Make sure you research the EDDM program carefully
CAREFULLY!!!!

We're at 20,000 pieces plus this year.

Do tell what we should avoid.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

I mailed out my first few hundred two weeks ago. No results yet.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I've done a few now and I have some more on my coffee table to do next week. I usually send out a "recently completed in your neighborhood" card to the route the people live in (not all projects, just select projects). I've had some response but I think as we do more and more in specific neighborhoods it will get better.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
We're at 20,000 pieces plus this year.

Do tell what we should avoid.
timo- basically-check your size carefully

we direct mail via first class mail 5-1/4x9-1/4 post cards at least 4 times a year directly to slate and tile customers-it's expensive-maybe $700/drop but it typically nets us over $10,000 per drop so it's worth it

this spring I thought I would try EDDM
However- I was an idiot and did not understand the program as completely as I thought.
It can be confusing for a layman if you don't know the post office definition of a post card vs. a "flat" for example

basically I am now stuck with boxes of post cards measuring 4x6 which don't meet post office requirements for EDDM. also-since I designed the cards to go EDDM- I can't salvage the lot by labeling them and stamping them because they were not designed to be labeled and stamped.

This all is entirely MY fault and no one elses, BTW- I won't blame anyone else--------- however in my opinion , since the P.O. is targeting EDDM at small inexperienced direct mail users- they could have been a little simpler and clearer on their requirements

but again,ultimately it is MY fault.

in hindsight I would have contracted with an experienced printer who did a lot of EDDM for the first year or so, rather than foolishly attempting to do it on my own-mea culpa,mea culpa,mea culpa

Stephen
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

The USPS appears to be offering free seminars on EDDM. I signed up for one in our area this week, so I'm assuming they're being offered in other markets as well.

I also found a webinar on EDDM via NFIB (?) on Youtube. Haven't watched it, but maybe it's worthwhile.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRB For This Useful Post:
MagicPoolSvcs (08-06-2012), martisplumbing (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

I'm interested to see results about this. That video was a bore and after their statistics about the 18-24 age class pretty much closed off my interest as a contractor. I'm sure if I had an ice cream shop it would be a valid attempt. So far, my customers range from 32 - 80+ which I think is pretty standard.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I have had limited success with post card mailings. Seems like it pays off but not in a measurable amount of time. One client handed me a post card for 15% Off that expired in '05. I spoke with stephenH about his tactic of highly targeted mailings which is in my opinion the way to go. I am formulating a list of new homes with unfinished basements which will get a post card geared towards basement finishing only.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Tech Dawg (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

I have a local company here do it for me, they work hand in hand with the printer and the PO, make the whole thing very easy.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill
I have a local company here do it for me, they work hand in hand with the printer and the PO, make the whole thing very easy.
Do you get any business from it?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

Guys I've done a few EDDM campaigns. It's worked great for me. Responses of 1 to over 3% depending on the message/ deal/ timing and route.

Minimum size is 6.5"x9". That means 6"x9" DOES NOT work. It has to be a stiff card stock, so postcard thickness.

Make sure the message/ deal/ timing and route is the best you can come up with; it's very important. Use a quality printer, full color images front and back and make your contact info very clear. In two seconds anyone from a first grader to an old fart should know 3 things:
1. What your business does.
2. What product or service you are promoting.
3. How to contact you.
If anybody has to study the card at all to figure that out, too late, you lost them.

My business is called ArboRx, which takes a second to figure out, so instead of putting my biz name front and center, I might say:

Tree Spraying
Season package from $110
Call 555-5555

That right there will get me a 1% response just because it's clear and simple. Add some nice photos, a little (little) extra info, website, and I might get 2% response. If I advertised something that was cheap, like $40, I'd get 3-4% response, which is even better because I get to meet more prospective customers and may be able to sell additional work.

Well worth the time, effort and money in my opinion. Keep in mind though that all my services are annually renewing, so one sell brings in money for years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leeson1776 For This Useful Post:
GRB (08-04-2012), MagicPoolSvcs (08-06-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Owner

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 10

My marketing guy told me about this program and it sounded cool especially since I'm paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.00 per click with adwords (I'm not sure).

I figure if its just costing me $1400 or so to reach out to 10,000 people in my area then its probably a waste of time.

but...then my marketing buddy suggested that I try and collaborate with some non competitors and come up with a collective of us that are willing to spread the cost about and we'll all be on the same card.

The beauty was that if we're not competing and if we all offer value then there's a better chance for our information to be received by the people in that area getting their mail.

there's more value in that type of mailing anyway?

So he says I should get at least 10 of us together and then all of a sudden that $1400 can be had at anywhere from $140 (if I want to try and round these people up myself) to about $350, which is still a fantastic deal if you can get someone else to do all the leg work...which is what I hired him for.

Anyways, I hope that my two cents helped you guys out.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #15

Trade: Epoxy Garage Floors, Concrete Sealing
Rewards Points: 155

While you're splitting the cost, don't you think you'll also dilute your impact? It's enough to see one advertisement in the mail, let alone 10.

I've gotten out of monthly home magazines for just that reason. Why do Iwant to pay for an ad with 4 or 5 others that offer the same service (or to theaverage consumer, a perceived same service). I realize you're going fornon-competing businesses.

I haven't tried EDDM yet-but like it's chances, since I quit spending onprint advertising, referrals and Internet have been keeping me busy all year. Meanwhile many of those in that same mag 1 or 2 years ago, have gone away, and aren't competitors anymore.

Last edited by jhutch; 08-05-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Pro

If I was going to do split advertising I'd only do a 9x12 card and I'd only split it in half. You put too much on the card and people will never see it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I'm with the guys concerned about impact. Instead of splitting the cost with a bunch of other unrelated companies, how about finding a single company that offers a supporting product? As an example, if you're selling windows, team up with a window treatment company. If you do decks, see if there's a local patio furniture/outdoor rec equipment place you can bring in.

Seems more likely to get results for both companies & neither of you are just a face in a crowd.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB
I'm with the guys concerned about impact. Instead of splitting the cost with a bunch of other unrelated companies, how about finding a single company that offers a supporting product? As an example, if you're selling windows, team up with a window treatment company. If you do decks, see if there's a local patio furniture/outdoor rec equipment place you can bring in.

Seems more likely to get results for both companies & neither of you are just a face in a crowd.
Someone's on the right track...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #19
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

Fushion Marketing
Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Residential remodel
Rewards Points: 216

Most everything I get in the mail ad-wise goes straight in the trash. Im not sure even $80 is going to be money well spent on advertising. Keep us posted on the results.

Advertisement