Suggestions For Plan Of Action To Target A Small Group Of Homeowners? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Suggestions For Plan Of Action To Target A Small Group Of Homeowners?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Window Tinting
Rewards Points: 81

Suggestions For Plan Of Action To Target A Small Group Of Homeowners?

In about a week or so I will be doing work in a neighborhood I'd like to target for more work.... My current plan is to mail out postcards to them tomorrow... and then once I am done the work at the one house I'll be working at would be to canvass the neighbors. Going by whitepages.com there are about 30 homes in the neighborhood.

So I figured each nite I'll go D2D.... I'll probably be there three days... so 10 houses a nite or until I speak to someone at each house. (Which hopefully between three nites I'll get everyone at home)

Anyone have any other suggestions??

Unfortunately I'm out of lawn signs.... If I can I might try and get one made up before I start the job. I've wanted to get one that I could carry around with me for when I do commercial jobs.... storefronts and stuff... set it outside for people who walk by. If I Can get one of them made in time I might try that....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 152

Re: Suggestions For Plan Of Action To Target A Small Group Of Homeowners?

I think you're on the right track.
Job site sign, postcards and then canvass!
Good Luck, it will work!

Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #3

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 75

Most office supply stores can make you a good sized laminated poster cheap and quick, whip up a frame, and you've got a nifty lawn sign to display as you work.

"Your neighborhood has a quality renovator/workman/cabinetmaker doing work here. Don't be shy, ask us into your home too!"

Maybe even have a banner to add when the HO will allow people to visit "Come on in and see how quality work should be done..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

Here's a REALLY neat idea that worked well for us.

Use your postcards and d2d efforts to invite everyone to a neighborhood bar-b-que you're hosting at your clients house. To showcase the work you've done for them, to have good times, etc.

It will definitely draw the neighbors in.

Grill some food - make it fun - showcase the work you've done. Your client will LOVE to tell their neighbors how great you did (assuming that you did do great), which makes it great for you. Instead of you saying you do a good job, you're customer (and their neighbor) is doing it for you.

One party like this that we did resulted in over $70K in sales from the neighborhood. Plus we did a press release about the event and I think a local newspaper picked it up.

Last edited by DamionR; 06-14-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamionR For This Useful Post:
Ewa (06-15-2011), RacerX780 (06-13-2011), TimelessQuality (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: All construction, remodeling, home improvements
Location: Rochester, NY Elmira, NY, WNY, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR View Post
invite everyone to a neighborhood bar-b-que

Instead of you saying you do a good job, you're customer (and their neighbor) is doing it for you.

One party like this that we did resulted in over $70K in sales
I dont always agree with you but this one is totally awesome

Thank you
Old 06-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Good plan; get after it. 30 homes is a reasonable number to canvas.

I suggest you be prepared to introduce yourself and what you do and where you are working in less than 15 seconds and have a handout or brochure. It will take you 4 evenings to get to 25 of the owners; the other 5 will be out of town or may not answer..leave info.

Good luck, this is solid marketing.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Vendor
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:

Use your postcards and d2d efforts to invite everyone to a neighborhood bar-b-que you're hosting at your clients house. To showcase the work you've done for them, to have good times, etc.

Grill some food - make it fun - showcase the work you've done. Your client will LOVE to tell their neighbors how great you did (assuming that you did do great), which makes it great for you. Instead of you saying you do a good job, you're customer (and their neighbor) is doing it for you.

One party like this that we did resulted in over $70K in sales from the neighborhood. Plus we did a press release about the event and I think a local newspaper picked it up.
Innovative idea Damion, I like it.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/gc
Rewards Points: 250

I don't think most HOs want people grilling in there yard and having people parade in and out of there house.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
New Guy

Trade: marketing
Rewards Points: 10

I will be using this for a landscaping company I am working with. No one has to go inside and since we specialize in patios, fire pits and outdoor kitchen this is awesome. Only thing is I wonder why I have never thought of it
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #10
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 1,012

Be careful and make sure the HO agrees to this shindig. You also better have something in writing that covers things like if some gets food poisoning or hurt while on the property. I know it sucks to have to think this way but this is the way of the world now. Everybody wants a free paycheck.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX780 View Post
In about a week or so I will be doing work in a neighborhood I'd like to target for more work.... My current plan is to mail out postcards to them tomorrow... and then once I am done the work at the one house I'll be working at would be to canvass the neighbors. Going by whitepages.com there are about 30 homes in the neighborhood.

So I figured each nite I'll go D2D.... I'll probably be there three days... so 10 houses a nite or until I speak to someone at each house. (Which hopefully between three nites I'll get everyone at home)

Anyone have any other suggestions??

Unfortunately I'm out of lawn signs.... If I can I might try and get one made up before I start the job. I've wanted to get one that I could carry around with me for when I do commercial jobs.... storefronts and stuff... set it outside for people who walk by. If I Can get one of them made in time I might try that....
Canvassing IMHO is too intrusive. I imagine you coming to my door and I'm just getting finished eating dinner. I don't care what you're selling; get off my lawn. That's how a lot of H/O feel. I would see if the ppl where you are working know any neighbors, then ask them to introduce you to those people.

Other than that, I would just try to give the client you are currently servicing an awesome experience in every way. They may then tell everyone on the block -- without you asking.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

How did you get the client to agree to THAT? (Bplease don't answer free food )
Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Licensed Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:

I think this is an excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS0303 View Post
Be careful and make sure the HO agrees to this shindig. You also better have something in writing that covers things like if some gets food poisoning or hurt while on the property. I know it sucks to have to think this way but this is the way of the world now. Everybody wants a free paycheck.
Also an excellent point I did not ponder until I read this reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Canvassing IMHO is too intrusive. I imagine you coming to my door and I'm just getting finished eating dinner. I don't care what you're selling; get off my lawn. That's how a lot of H/O feel. I would see if the ppl where you are working know any neighbors, then ask them to introduce you to those people.

Other than that, I would just try to give the client you are currently servicing an awesome experience in every way. They may then tell everyone on the block -- without you asking.
I agree 150% with this statement. I can't think of many things that irritate me more than someone coming to my door uninvited and trying to sell me something. I friggin hate hate hate door to door salespeople. Just my $0.02.

I have found that just going D2D and passing out flyers, but not trying to talk with them is effective. You don't intrude, and I think many people are relieved when I say hello, give them a flyer, and leave. I don't ring bells, just leave flyers under mat or tuck them somewhere (not mailbox). When the HO's are outside, I just approach and ask them if they would like a flyer. They always ask what I do, and I tell them. Most people are very friendly. And I would estimate 90% of them take the flyer. This is my chance to make a good impression.

It is also nice when I double back to hit the other side of the street, and I see people reading my flyers while they carry them into the house.

I don't know if I read it here, but somewhere... Someone said it was better to leave them at the door, than direct mail or paper box because the HO has to see the flyer, and they have to carry it further to get it to the trash can. Many people bring in mail and papers and stand at the trash can, dumping "junk mail". You might only have a few short seconds that your ad is actually in the HO's hands this way.

My humble opinion, take it or leave it. Peace.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

My suggestion is to simply be friendly towards the neighbors. Odds are they will ask what you are doing, and ask how the project is going. If you have a positive demeanor (nothing phony), it's likely the neighbors will inquire about you.

Advertisement

Beanfacekilla (06-30-2011)