Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Steps Involved In The Successful Sale.......

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MattCoops 
#1 ·
I had a desire to wait to make this post, which is my 5,000nth on this board, for a topic that could be meaningful, have a voracious follow-up and hopefully be filled with enough informative content, that it will be looked at as an entire reference guide from all of the well thought out input from all of the brilliant posters on this forum.

I always like to use downtime for pursuing goals, reinforcing past lessons, doing research about pertinent topics to either life or business, or improve my understanding of lead follow up and understanding how my own psychological uniqueness develops forward towards achieving a higher rate of personal achievement and closing sales, which enhances those personal goals.

Much is always discussed about lead generation and turning that dust into gold. There are many interpretations on how to make a sale, but in reality, unless one is giving away their services, there are common steps to successful sales. If there were not, all of those business coaching and sales Guru's would not be re-inventing the wheel with their own introspective analysis on the subject.

Lets try to provide an overview of a successful sales, from inception to formal closure and beyond.......

The primary source for the initial overview of this topic is taken from Dale Carnegie and his focus on personal fulfillment and additionally, from his book on "How To Win Friends and Influence People".

Carnegie's concepts and methods point out, which should be so obvious, that "People are all different and therefore all have different perspectives. The more we can emphasize with the other parties goals and feelings, the better off we will be able to develop a relationship of trust with them and can better off reach a mutual agreement with both parties goals, which can achieve an acceptable level of understanding and commitment by each of the parties involved.

Rather than just posting a response to others, telling them to: "Read This Book", I figured that we could actually discuss and enhance the topic in the open forum.

Let me start this off and now see what plateau we can climb to.......

Successful Steps To The Sale:

The Steps of the sales process can be looked at as the entire process involved in arriving at the final desired destination.

For this summary outline, let's presume that the lead has already been generated or the cold call appointment has already been agreed to, so that we stay on track and do not go off in tangents on how to get them to contact your company for your services in the first place.

1. Planning And Preparing For The Appointment
  2. The Introduction And Opening Warm Up
  3. The Interview Process, With Questions And Answers
  4. Presenting Your Unique Selling Benefit
  5. Trial Closes And Overcoming Objections
  6. Securing An Agreement, AKA, Closing The Sale
Oh, you thought that was going to be the final one? No, the next one is critical for future work and referrals.

7. Following Though And Delivering At Least Or More Than Expected

Starting with point number 1:

"Planning And Preparing For The Appointment"

Does the Sales Presenter know his product inside and out?

That should be a given, but is just taken for granted that a gifted "Closer" can fill up the presentation with enough smoke and mirrors to deflect from actual real hands on knowledge of the services offered, with only a cursory understanding of what needs to be done. Does the representative have a clear understanding of the problems or desires that the customer is contemplating? The advantages and benefits that you propose must be a precise fit with the customers objectives. Are they relevant to your customer, or does the rep just go on auto-pilot and deliver the same canned specifications for everyone? Pry as much information out of the customer, for their own good, that will better equip your company's proposed solution to them.

If the sales rep over promises and the team under delivers, that can be fatal down the line, either through buyers remorse or by the follow up performance not meeting the customers expectations due to superfluous incentively laden items thrown in, just to close that sale immediately.

Does the Sales Representative truly understand the features and benefits of the products and services they are attempting to provide?

How can the Rep best create an image or vision in the customers mind, on how their company's unique delivery of the product and services will be an added benefit to their dilemma? What is your, or it's Unique Selling Benefit? How can that best be demonstrated to the customer?

Determine the true time-line that they would like to undertake the project.

Find out their motives for pursuing this project at this time.

Determine who will be the key decision maker that needs to become a believer in your process.

What is the initial open budget gap that they considering and are interested in?

Does this customer need any unique aspects tailored to their problem, desire and solution? If so, get them prepared in advance. These can include, but are not limited to; A photo album of similar jobs or a grandiose variety of multiple talent levels available within your company, Reference lists for them to review and check up on, current projects underway for them to see your team in action, business accreditations and organizations that you belong to, all of the bonding-licensing and insurance requirement certificates needed for legal contract fulfillment, a lap top presentation slide show or digital photo frame to highlight unique applications which would allow the imagery to do your companies talking for you, unique photos of your potential customers problems so that your visual solutions shown can provide them with peace of mind clarity in their decision, the company literature and/or brochures that they can review in a pre-appointment package, and finally, samples of the product offerings that you allow them to choose from.

Some or most of the information that needs to be gathered and understood, must initially come from whomever answers the phone cal for the request for an estimate. So, if that person is not the sales representative, they need to be tutored and conditioned on how to incite the caller to provide as much of the related information as possible. Prepare a list and practice it over and over again, to make sure you can obtain all of this advance knowledge.

Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
Hold on, this is going to take a million pages.

I'll be the first to reply. Give me a few months to put something together.

How about one step at a time, starting with answering the phone, or mock and entire sale, the way you would do it, from the beginning.

I did one for plumbing, but remodeling sales are much different. I would imagine most customers don't sign for several days.

#4 ·
I'll be the first to reply. Give me a few months to put something together.

How about one step at a time, starting with answering the phone, or mock and entire sale, the way you would do it, from the beginning.

I did one for plumbing, but remodeling sales are much different. I would imagine most customers don't sign for several days.
PC,

Although that is a significant step, which I briefly addressed in the very last paragraph, since it is so vital, I wanted to allow just the assumption that the initial call was handled correctly, properly tweaking out all of the limited information that the customer was willing and able to provide at that time, I did not want to cloud up the actual sales presentation process.

Yes, it can be convincingly argued with explicit merit, that the initial contact may be equally as important as any of the other steps, but I digress.....

If you or anyone else would prefer to start off at the point of first contact, we will just back-track a little bit and then get into the sales process and how to properly perform that so that both parties come out a winner.

One thing I would hope to do, is to go in order, for continuity and clarity's sake, for anyone that will look at and use this thread as a reference for ethical and administrative procedural guidance.

Ed

#7 ·
Good stuff Ed! We are taking the no pressure selling 4 day bootcamp in Feb......can't wait.

When I say we, I mean my husband. :)
HOT,

Could you please start a new thread about the 4 day Sale Boot Camp, unless you see that information about that upcoming seminar can provide intrinsic valuable content to this specific topic, for clarity purposes.

I am sure that would be interesting.....From Who or which organization and how much are the fees and what materials does it cover and what about future coaching and follow up feedback?

But, for the content of this thread, let's try to stick precisely on topic, so it does not become unnecessarily long and convoluted.

Thanks,

Ed

#9 ·
The word unique was used and a statement worthy of reflection is that all customers are different. “Carnegie's concepts and methods point out, which should be so obvious, that "People are all different and therefore all have different perspectives.” In preparing and planning for the appointment, how many of these unique people can a single salesman prepare for? In saying this, was Carnegie not also saying that not all customers are your customers based on their uniqueness. And that you need to understand during the interview process that you are to decide this fact. It is no different than the hiring process, you are not taking them to the second interview if the have not passed the first. During your preparation, you need to have an exist strategy. Honesty is the best policy, the job is too small, or maybe you do not do roof patches. Sometimes the backing away from a job brings the customer closer, and they align with you criteria.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Before this information seems to try to lay out a scripted sales process that must be rigidly followed, I want to point out, especially after Woodmagman's post, that it is only a guide, or a map of a route to take.

I, in no way, follow any mapped out course precisely. Consider taking a leisurely drive with time on your hands. If you see an interesting place to visit, you should veer off the mapped out course to check it out.

Since every customer has their own unique envisionment of the project at hand, there will be necessary ad-libs that need to be pursued.

But, at least with a mapped out destination, the final destination for both parties should remain clearly in focus.

The key to knowing when and how far to deviate may be dictated by obtuse questions, which may seem at first consideration, to be off of your targeted plan, but it is obviously something that the customer wishes to discuss, so that means that a true customer diagnosis was not revealed during the initial intake phone call, otherwise you would have been able to more properly plan for those likely concerns.

Now, how about the customers who call in and are either too short of time or are holding their perceived cards close to their vest, not wishing to engage in a more genuine dialog, which could more realistically reveal their true desires and intent? This happens frequently, so it must be overcome, preferably during the intake phone conversation, but can also be picked up during the measurement call.

Ed

#11 · (Edited)
Before this information seems to try to lay out a scripted sales process that must be rigidly followed, I want to point out, especially after Woodmagman's post, that it is only a guide, or a map of a route to take.

I, in no way, follow any mapped out course precisely. Consider taking a leisurely drive with time on your hands. If you see an interesting place to visit, you should veer off the mapped out course to check it out.

Since every customer has their own unique envisionment of the project at hand, there will be necessary ad-libs that need to be pursued.

But, at least with a mapped out destination, the final destination for both parties should remain clearly in focus.

The key to knowing when and how far to deviate may be dictated by obtuse questions, which may seem at first consideration, to be off of your targeted plan, but it is obviously something that the customer wishes to discuss, so that means that a true customer diagnosis was not revealed during the initial intake phone call, otherwise you would have been able to more properly plan for those likely concerns.

Now, how about the customers who call in and are either too short of time or are holding their perceived cards close to their vest, not wishing to engage in a more genuine dialog, which could more realistically reveal their true desires and intent? This happens frequently, so it must be overcome, preferably during the intake phone conversation, but can also be picked up during the measurement call.

Ed
:thumbsup:Like where this is going.

#12 ·
A mapped out course

Your sales are different than mine because I am selling from service calls and I close my sales on-the-spot, but I follow a very rigid and mapped course.

Even for your sales, there is a specific and predictable pattern of thoughts the customer goes through. After, years of experience, we, as sales people, have the ability to predict these thoughts and changes in the pattern, as the sale progresses.

Before starting, everyone should write a list of the obstacles, we must overcome, to close a sale. Then, we need to write down how we overcome each of these obstacles.

desire - The customer must really want your service.

chaos - Everything is confusing. Contractors are beating the customer from all ends. The customer's thoughts, paperwork, numbers, and confusion causes chaos.

fear - You know what this is. There can b e 1,000 different fears.

mistrust - Mistrust about many things

bad timing - The customer may want the job. Maybe the price you quote causes a change in timing.

disbelief - This covers a wide range of obstacles.

failure to see value -

lack of need for immediate action.

I wrote a 17 page story about these obstacles. I will post the story, later this evening, in MS word and Adobe. In this story, I tell how we close a sale, from the time we park the truck. Meanwhile, making your own list, of obstacles, may be a methodical way to make this thread more productive.
Perhaps, we can agree on a list of obstacles, the order they occur, and elaborate on each one.

I added desire to your list. Your customers must have the 'desire' or really 'want' your services, such as a $50,000 room addition. Many of your customers, may be only dreamers, and they are waisting your time. When my customer's sewer is broke, desire is not an obstacle.

#13 · (Edited)
This is my 3 cents

This is a 17 page story I wrote about sales. It is too long to post and much easier to read on paper.

This is a step-by-step explanation regarding how we close sales from the time we receive the initial phone call, according to the request in this thread.

This system shows you how we overcome the obstacles for closing sales.

Only open this link, when you have about 30 to 45 minutes, to read.

http://bestlineplumbing.com/RolexWatchStory.htm

This is the exact system we use for closing sales. We vary only a little from this system. My employees must follow this system as close as possible. It is different, than selling room additions, but the concept is close.

Unfortunately, it would take about 15 minutes, to explain this system, and explaining the reasoning, takes many pages.

#14 ·
I believe that there is a 95 percent rule that states a prospect knows he will buy from you from the initial phone call. I think that the initial phone call is in fact an interview. You need to know how to communicate to the client in order to get him to give you information so that you can ask the right questions. Once the right questions are out there, you can give him in correct insight on his project and portrait your self and your company as professional. Avoid common phrases like, "I don't know"..."I've never seen that before", etc. My problem is getting the phone to ring at a reasonable cost. I get plenty of referrals but I want to get my business to the next step, Any ideas?

#15 ·
Customer end of job surveys work well, with a space alloted for their own comments and spaces for them to fill in their referred friend.

Also, targeted radius marketing from and around the current job that you have going on seems to pique interest, from all of the nosy neighbors and incites neighboritis to keep up with the Jones'es.

A pre-job start mailer, with a on start mailer and then an immediate end of job mailer will keep your services on the top of their mind for maximum awareness. You need to create separate messages for each sequence in the mailing campaign, with their own unique call to action message or concept that draws their attention.

Ed

#17 ·
Customer end of job surveys work well, with a space alloted for their own comments and spaces for them to fill in their referred friend.

Ed
Ed dont you have your end of job survey posted somewhere? I am currently working on mine.

I was also thinking of some sort of incentive plan for en employee who gets specifically mentioned by a customer in the survey, any thoughts? Im looking for ways to get my guys to go above and beyond. I had an older customer that was thrilled cause a couple of my guys cleared the snow off of her car one morning, we have gotten quite a few referral jobs since she really brags about us now.

#16 ·
This is a 17 page story I wrote about sales. It is too long to post and much easier to read on paper.

Pcplumber, Very interesting on marketing even more important in economic climate. I'm interested to see the "rolex watch story" but the link no longer finds the page. Is there a new location?
Thanks much, Dave

Ed, thank you also for the marketing information, very helpful!!

#18 ·
All this is grand, and I applaude you for taking time out of your schedule to sit down and construct these profitable thoughts. But these writings are better suited in your business plan's documentation that you submit to investors to fund your business system.

There's a good book at your local library called "Anatomy of a Business Plan". It is a hard cover with transparent jacket and it is gold writing on a scarlet case. good luck:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.