ServiceMagic Changes Name To HomeAdvisor - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

ServiceMagic Changes Name To HomeAdvisor

Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #1

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 10

ServiceMagic Changes Name To HomeAdvisor

Monday ServiceMagic ran out of magic and changes their name to HomeAdvisor.

Why would a company with so much invested in online marketing and brand awareness change their name.....

I have a good idea why they would...what do you think??
The Following User Says Thank You to ridercoach For This Useful Post:
eagleandbaby (10-08-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: ServiceMagic Changes Name To HomeAdvisor

Because they're all out of people to scam? They figure with a new name they can try to scam the same people again...

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
Andrew Millard (01-06-2013), dprimc (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Rob got it in the first post. Service magic is good for my business because it keeps the hacks busy chasing their tails and not my clients.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Andrew Millard (01-06-2013), greg24k (12-18-2012), killerdecks (12-02-2012), MattK (01-26-2013), RobertCDF (10-02-2012), ryanshull (12-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
Rob got it in the first post. Service magic is good for my business because it keeps the hacks busy chasing their tails and not my clients.
Lol, so true. At first I was like "What is that idiot doing using SM, they're losing money for sure" then I was like "oh... yeah... keep using SM, waste your marketing dollars there..."

I saw a work truck the other day (no idea who it was or what they did) that had a large SM logo on the side of it, NOTHING about who they were or contact info, so they are sending people who would have called them direct, right to SM just for SM to sell it back to them and a few others along the way... Wow... someone is really dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
JBM (10-09-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF

Lol, so true. At first I was like "What is that idiot doing using SM, they're losing money for sure" then I was like "oh... yeah... keep using SM, waste your marketing dollars there..."

I saw a work truck the other day (no idea who it was or what they did) that had a large SM logo on the side of it, NOTHING about who they were or contact info, so they are sending people who would have called them direct, right to SM just for SM to sell it back to them and a few others along the way... Wow... someone is really dumb.
I wish that guy was a player in my market..
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Old House Mechanic

Trade: Old House Mechanic
Rewards Points: 342

Recall the saying "The names have been changed to protect the innocent..."

Maybe it should be changed to "The names have been changed to protect the guilty..."

J

The Following User Says Thank You to RenaissanceR For This Useful Post:
lowellmason (02-11-2013)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: All Trades
Rewards Points: 75

Good afternoon guys

I just wanted to clear up a few of the concerns or questions around our change. We changed our name because HomeAdvisor is easier to remember and more appealing to all of our customers. Along with the change, we redesigned the site and added additional resources to help better educate our homeowners before, during and after the match. We are fully committed to providing a positive customer experience so please, let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Mandy
HomeAdvisor, formerly ServiceMagic Support
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Mandy,

Are you going to send that guy new decals for his truck?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: All Trades
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor
Mandy,

Are you going to send that guy new decals for his truck?
Yes, we are working on getting new magnets sent out to the people who had the SM ones.

I'd have to agree that having a magnet or even no magnet, you should have your direct contact information on your truck. Probably not the best idea for that person.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,282

This is classic
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
Andrew Millard (01-06-2013), leeson1776 (03-05-2013), lowellmason (02-11-2013), Max10 (10-04-2012), ROVACON (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

That was a smart move for Service Magic

If you were a home owner the name "Home Advisor" makes perfect sense. And given that it's owned by IAC InterActive, who enjoys an already growing internet presence, I would think they are getting ready to push to the next level.

They own companies like - match.com, about.com, vimeo, ask.com.....and the list continues.

Lets face facts here folks. Contractors continually screwing up created a gap in the market. Service master filled it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
HASupport (10-04-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by HASupport View Post
We are fully committed to providing a positive customer experience so please, let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Mandy
HomeAdvisor, formerly ServiceMagic Support

The problem isn't your commitment to the customers experience, it your lack of commitment to your contractor's experience, and they pay your bills.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dprimc For This Useful Post:
AlbacoreShuffle (01-20-2013), Andrew Millard (01-06-2013), BCConstruction (10-09-2012), CompleteW&D (10-03-2012), fez-head (12-10-2012), Jimmy Cabinet (10-08-2012), JSM_CC (10-04-2012), killerdecks (12-02-2012), larry228 (10-03-2012), MattK (01-26-2013), ProWallGuy (01-14-2013), skcolo (12-02-2012), Tech Dawg (10-03-2012), vividpainting (01-01-2013)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprimc

The problem isn't your commitment to the customers experience, it your lack of commitment to your contractor's experience, and they pay your bills.
What HA needs to realize is that their customer is the contractor... not the homeowner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
AlbacoreShuffle (01-20-2013), fez-head (12-10-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF

What HA needs to realize is that their customer is the contractor... not the homeowner.
Totally disagree. As long as they convince home owners they own it ~ contractors are like a puppet. And given so many contractors can't finance a hot dog with 99 cents down and can't market a business, they will do exactly what HA tells them to do. HA specializes in weak pathetic contractors. Obviously, a smart business owner knows how to market and knows how to grow a business..... they simply don't, and will never, need HA.

Home owners need work done and HA is the road block for people who can't run a construction business. Brilliant!

Last edited by Oconomowoc; 10-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
dprimc (10-03-2012), Gary H (10-07-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc

Totally disagree. As long as they convince home owners they own it ~ contractors are like a puppet. And given so many contractors can't finance a hot dog with 99 cents down and can't market a business, they will do exactly what HA tells them to do. HA specializes in weak pathetic contractors. Obviously, a smart business owner knows how to market and knows how to grow a business..... they simply don't, and will never, need HA.

Home owners need work done and HA is the road block for people who can't run a construction business. Brilliant!
There are smart business owners that use HA/SM... whatever. That's the companies with cut throat sales teams that offer financing. Those companies thrive off of these leads so you're wrong on that side of things
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #16

Mandy, Can you please mail me some t shirts and posters for my shop?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Andrew Millard (01-06-2013), Gary H (10-07-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg

There are smart business owners that use HA/SM... whatever. That's the companies with cut throat sales teams that offer financing. Those companies thrive off of these leads so you're wrong on that side of things
Nope, i'll stand my ground on this 100%

A real construction business excels at marketing. The very fact that a large number of home owners simply don't trust contractors is the fault of the contractor. It's a very simple thing to understand.

In a marketplace where a consumer trusts a contractor FIRST without needing Service Magic speaks volumes about the quality of the organization. THAT company has a well executed and well run business model. Anytime a business is reliant on a third party to make the connection for the consumer is a seriously failed model. Profit margins are lower, trust is minimal, it's a poor customer, loyalty is absent and the business becomes controlled by the mediator....... Service Magic. That is the business Service Magic is in. It couldn't be more clear.

Why does Service Magic exist? Because they found a problem. Fortunately, not all businesses have this problem. And they don't need SM.

Remember something, not all contractors need Service Magic. Contractors who can't find work end up using SM. If a company has plenty of work would they need SM? Of course not.

Some plumbers in my market use SM and some don't. Care to explain why?

Quite frankly I don't want the customer that requires SM to find me. I want them to find me based on reputation.

Last edited by Oconomowoc; 10-03-2012 at 11:00 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (10-04-2012), bentampa (04-14-2014), MattK (01-26-2013), Tom Struble (10-04-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #18

The problem for the homeowners that use SM is that most contractors who cant find there own clients cant find their own clients for a reason thus in essence making the entire business model a good contractor filter.

Unless Mandy comes off of some t shirts for me and the fellas, which would be in essence like blowing a whole in the filter allowing only the best contractors in the world to get through.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc

Nope, i'll stand my ground on this 100%

A real construction business excels at marketing. The very fact that a large number of home owners simply don't trust contractors is the fault of the contractor. It's a very simple thing to understand.

In a marketplace where a consumer trusts a contractor FIRST without needing Service Magic speaks volumes about the quality of the organization. THAT company has a well executed and well run business model. Anytime a business is reliant on a third party to make the connection for the consumer is a seriously failed model. Profit margins are lower, trust is minimal, it's a poor customer, loyalty is absent and the business becomes controlled by the mediator....... Service Magic. That is the business Service Magic is in. It couldn't be more clear.

Why does Service Magic exist? Because they found a problem. Fortunately, not all businesses have this problem. And they don't need SM.

Remember something, not all contractors need Service Magic. Contractors who can't fond work end up using SM. If a company has plenty of work would they need SM? Of course not.
I don't disagree with your other points but I have seen large, reputable companies use SM... It does happen in other states but SM is definately not for me.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #20

....... What works for some will NOT work for all ......

Advertisement

Last edited by ohiohomedoctor; 10-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
HASupport (10-04-2012)