Securing Positive Online Reviews - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Securing Positive Online Reviews

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Pro
 
artinall's Avatar
 
Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,159
Rewards Points: 4,520

Securing Positive Online Reviews


While I have been involved in finish trades for years (mainly painting/drywall work) only recently have I begun to concentrate online. Mainly Google. The free business listing, linked to a private site. So 5 star reviews are needed for rankings.

Even though I've had customers promising rave feedback, reviews have been scarce to none. As an observation, it seems that once a job is left with the customer more than satisfied...their words of promise simply fade. The last check paid.

What's the best way to get it?
artinall is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Follow up

Advertisement

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
artinall (07-10-2019), hdavis (07-09-2019), TheConstruct (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,327
Rewards Points: 2,780

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Once you are sure you have a satisfied customer, you can ask for a rating and here's the key. Give the link for a 5 star rating for your business. That makes it less convenient for them to give you any other rating.
hdavis is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
artinall (07-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
Pro
 
artinall's Avatar
 
Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,159
Rewards Points: 4,520

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
Follow up
I did with the last who promised, who only put it off.

As a one man operation, I do jobs that last weeks usually. So I have customers, but no big numbers of them. Which is part of the challenge.

The last customer was moving into a new residence, which I do a lot of. They didn't have internet set up but promised "they would once they have it".

- But you're right. I should follow up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
...Give the link for a 5 star rating for your business. That makes it less convenient for them to give you any other rating.
...all my customers are satisfied, and this is no exaggeration. I put the work above profit.

I didn't know you could give a five star link. Great idea.
artinall is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
I did with the last who promised, who only put it off.

As a one man operation, I do jobs that last weeks usually. So I have customers, but no big numbers of them. Which is part of the challenge.

The last customer was moving into a new residence, which I do a lot of. They didn't have internet set up but promised "they would once they have it".

- But you're right. I should follow up more.

...all my customers are satisfied, and this is no exaggeration. I put the work above profit.

I didn't know you could give a five star link. Great idea.
I too am a small operation. I have to follow up three or four times to get a review.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #6
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,327
Rewards Points: 2,780

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Setting up the 5 star review link

https://phoenixseolab.com/how-to-cre...-with-5-stars/
hdavis is online now  
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #7
Pro
 
artinall's Avatar
 
Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,159
Rewards Points: 4,520

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
I too am a small operation. I have to follow up three or four times to get a review.
There's a little bit of tact called for this, without seeming "pushy".

You mention other things first? So as not to be pestering and keep things on the up-and-up?

I'm always upfront. Never want them thinking I am attempting to somehow slip in the back door...to right there with them at the pc or other device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Thanx for that - will have to do once I finally get my smartphone!

Last edited by artinall; Yesterday at 04:49 AM.
artinall is online now  
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #8
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
 
MOTB's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Rewards Points: 3,280

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
What's the best way to get it?
This happens to be one of the cornerstones of our Marketing Plans with our clients. When done correctly, you can use your current clients like 24x7 salesreps for your future clients. That is both in Written and Verbal form. Usually we are met with resistance and contractors explaining all the 'special' reasons why their clients will not provide testimonials, or how hard it is to follow up. People are people, and it is how you go about getting them in the first place.

Keep in mind I am jealous of many contractors since you will probably meet the vast majority of your clients face-to-face, go into their homes or businesses and establish a more physical personal relationship. I do not have that opportunity yet have still be able to get over 100 reviews and about a half dozen video reviews.

I will show real contractor examples at the end, but for now just read how they achieve the objective.

The first thing you want to do is set expectations during the close process. You subtly ask "which way would they prefer providing a customer review at the end of the project, via an email, Facebook or Google or even possibly a video?" Notice this is not a Yes-No question, but the assumption of YES, I WILL PROVIDE A REVIEW AND THIS IS HOW I PLAN TO DO IT. This is not 100%, but you will be surprised how effective it is.

The second thing you want to do when you are finishing the project and getting your check, right there, when you are in front of them, say "Before I leave, it would be great to get that review you promised me too". Now it is an obligation for a "promise". Then you say "If you would not mind, it would be great if you can just get your phone or tablet and give it to me now so that I can close the project out". This is not 100%, but you will be surprised how many will give you the review on the spot.

Each of the two steps above are designed to simply make you more and more effective. There is more but I can only go so far in a post reply.

Really doesn't matter the trade, so here is an example of two folk who had all the excuses why "their special customers would not give them video reviews". I challenged them to try a different approach, and here is one who then moved on to their own video reviews and another moved on to professional videos. And it is impossible for me to explain how effective these landing pages help them close other deals, especially when up against another good competitor.

Before looking at the pages as an example, remember, initially they were complaining how hard it was to get reviews .... but now we are more focused on how best to use the reviews.

You do not need to follow word for word, but rather, just have the idea to set expectations up front and remember the best time to follow through is before you walk out the door. Good luck.

https://www.vintagewindowrestorationllc.com/reviews/

http://www.buildittolast.com/reviews/
__________________
Helping contractors find work with website marketing education & strategy planning
MOTB is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #9
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
There's a little bit of tact called for this, without seeming "pushy".

You mention other things first? So as not to be pestering and keep things on the up-and-up?

I'm always upfront. Never want them thinking I am attempting to somehow slip in the back door...to right there with them at the pc or other device.


Thanx for that - will have to do once I finally get my smartphone!
Absolutely there is an art to it. I read the situation and make it as easy as possible for them as I can. I put links in my communications and always focus on them.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #10
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
This happens to be one of the cornerstones of our Marketing Plans with our clients. When done correctly, you can use your current clients like 24x7 salesreps for your future clients. That is both in Written and Verbal form. Usually we are met with resistance and contractors explaining all the 'special' reasons why their clients will not provide testimonials, or how hard it is to follow up. People are people, and it is how you go about getting them in the first place.

Keep in mind I am jealous of many contractors since you will probably meet the vast majority of your clients face-to-face, go into their homes or businesses and establish a more physical personal relationship. I do not have that opportunity yet have still be able to get over 100 reviews and about a half dozen video reviews.

I will show real contractor examples at the end, but for now just read how they achieve the objective.

The first thing you want to do is set expectations during the close process. You subtly ask "which way would they prefer providing a customer review at the end of the project, via an email, Facebook or Google or even possibly a video?" Notice this is not a Yes-No question, but the assumption of YES, I WILL PROVIDE A REVIEW AND THIS IS HOW I PLAN TO DO IT. This is not 100%, but you will be surprised how effective it is.

The second thing you want to do when you are finishing the project and getting your check, right there, when you are in front of them, say "Before I leave, it would be great to get that review you promised me too". Now it is an obligation for a "promise". Then you say "If you would not mind, it would be great if you can just get your phone or tablet and give it to me now so that I can close the project out". This is not 100%, but you will be surprised how many will give you the review on the spot.

Each of the two steps above are designed to simply make you more and more effective. There is more but I can only go so far in a post reply.

Really doesn't matter the trade, so here is an example of two folk who had all the excuses why "their special customers would not give them video reviews". I challenged them to try a different approach, and here is one who then moved on to their own video reviews and another moved on to professional videos. And it is impossible for me to explain how effective these landing pages help them close other deals, especially when up against another good competitor.

Before looking at the pages as an example, remember, initially they were complaining how hard it was to get reviews .... but now we are more focused on how best to use the reviews.

You do not need to follow word for word, but rather, just have the idea to set expectations up front and remember the best time to follow through is before you walk out the door. Good luck.

https://www.vintagewindowrestorationllc.com/reviews/

http://www.buildittolast.com/reviews/
Seems like a couple of slimy methods. I never want to assume or make them feel like they have to give me a review. I want it personal and organic. I want it from the heart, not some high pressured me staring at them when they can't say no or look like a dick method.

It's much better to be personable, ask how they found you and tell them how great it would be if they would take a few minutes to write a review when they have the time.

Sure your method might get more reviews, but I would rather have 3 quality well thought out reviews over a shotgun review. Honestly, they are not worth leaving them with that impression.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (Yesterday), cedarboarder (Today), griz (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #11
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 36,478
Rewards Points: 17,944

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


One thing I tell them when signing a contract, is my goal here is to get a 5 star review from you. There's only one way to do that. I might say something like we don't get 4 stars. That's a failure to us. Works like a charm. Of course they really do want to give me the good review when I'm finished. Work speaks for itself.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is online now  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
artinall (Today), cedarboarder (Today), griz (Yesterday), hdavis (Today), KAP (Today), TNTRenovate (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #12
Pro
 
artinall's Avatar
 
Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,159
Rewards Points: 4,520

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
One thing I tell them when signing a contract, is my goal here is to get a 5 star review from you. There's only one way to do that. I might say something like we don't get 4 stars. That's a failure to us. Works like a charm. Of course they really do want to give me the good review when I'm finished. Work speaks for itself.


Mike.
Insightful advice from the get go. THX

Sets the right tone and thought process without leading them by the leash.

Something to be integrated rather than "planned out".

Last edited by artinall; Today at 06:35 AM.
artinall is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to artinall For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (Today)
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #13
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 6,777
Rewards Points: 6,632

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


I have over 100 reviews now from Angieís, HA, google. I send a link attached to the email with their invoice. If they donít leave a review after that Iíll send one email with the link again. After that I leave them alone. I say 25% never leave a review.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (Today)
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #14
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 15,945
Rewards Points: 7,780

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
I have over 100 reviews now from Angieís, HA, google. I send a link attached to the email with their invoice. If they donít leave a review after that Iíll send one email with the link again. After that I leave them alone. I say 25% never leave a review.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I offered and followed thru for a positive review of a auto service place.

I did not know you had to sign up (I think it was Yelp) before I could make the review. What a GD pain in the arse.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #15
Kowboy
 
Kowboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Countertops
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 1,597
Rewards Points: 8,302

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
Seems like a couple of slimy methods. I never want to assume or make them feel like they have to give me a review. I want it personal and organic. I want it from the heart, not some high pressured me staring at them when they can't say no or look like a dick method.

It's much better to be personable, ask how they found you and tell them how great it would be if they would take a few minutes to write a review when they have the time.

Sure your method might get more reviews, but I would rather have 3 quality well thought out reviews over a shotgun review. Honestly, they are not worth leaving them with that impression.
Sorry TNTRenovate, but if you're leaving a high pressure or dick method using this technique, you're doing it wrong. Same thing in sales.
Kowboy is offline  
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #16
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,980
Rewards Points: 33,744

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


The time when a customer is most happy (at the end of a project) and actually discussing with you how happy they are is the best time to mention a review...

"One of the ways we measure ourselves as a company is how our customers feel we've done at meeting the expectations we laid out when we first met. Because most of our customers are referrals we rely on that feedback to keep our business moving forward. Thanks for all the nice things you've had to say to me today about your project, really appreciate it... but as a small family business, if I could ask a little favor... since, as I said, we rely on our customers for their feedback, would you mind taking a few minutes sometime today after we leave to put those kind words into a quick review at (whatever site)? (they'll most likely say "sure") Thanks so much..."


If they're not going to do it after that, they're most likely not going to do it, but nothing wrong with sending one more follow-up email with a link along with a reminder for them they said sure...
KAP is offline  
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #17
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder
 
MOTB's Avatar
 
Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Rewards Points: 3,280

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRenovate View Post
Seems like a couple of slimy methods. I never want to assume or make them feel like they have to give me a review. I want it personal and organic. I want it from the heart, not some high pressured me staring at them when they can't say no or look like a dick method.

It's much better to be personable, ask how they found you and tell them how great it would be if they would take a few minutes to write a review when they have the time.

Sure your method might get more reviews, but I would rather have 3 quality well thought out reviews over a shotgun review. Honestly, they are not worth leaving them with that impression.
Hi TNT,
Unfortunately it may come across that way in text, but the point is we guide people in different methods to get the reviews, especially with the video reviews. Not sure if you went to the sites of the two examples, but they have done wonders for lead generation efforts and sales cycle. Everyone has a different approach based on the service and persona, but I would never leave it to one just to assume a customer will volunteer, let alone for a video review. But indicating you would love to feature a client and/or their project isn't slimy at all. And most important, like the original poster asked, it is a method to get the reviews. It does work, is tactful and produces results. Hope all else is well.
MOTB
__________________
Helping contractors find work with website marketing education & strategy planning
MOTB is offline  
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #18
GC/carpenter
 
Calidecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 36,478
Rewards Points: 17,944

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


My caddy rep gets 50 bucks for every solid 10 review. Been taking my car to him for about 17 years. Bends over backwards for me. He knows I give good reviews.


Mike.
_______________
Calidecks is online now  
Old Today, 12:46 PM   #19
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
Sorry TNTRenovate, but if you're leaving a high pressure or dick method using this technique, you're doing it wrong. Same thing in sales.
English much?
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #20
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,213
Rewards Points: 1,036

Re: Securing Positive Online Reviews


Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Hi TNT,
Unfortunately it may come across that way in text, but the point is we guide people in different methods to get the reviews, especially with the video reviews. Not sure if you went to the sites of the two examples, but they have done wonders for lead generation efforts and sales cycle. Everyone has a different approach based on the service and persona, but I would never leave it to one just to assume a customer will volunteer, let alone for a video review. But indicating you would love to feature a client and/or their project isn't slimy at all. And most important, like the original poster asked, it is a method to get the reviews. It does work, is tactful and produces results. Hope all else is well.
MOTB
Your video method wasn't the object of my opinion. It's the sitting their staring at them asking for a review when collecting the final payment and wording things in such an expectant matter.

Advertisement

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?