Sales Gurus - Overcome This Objection - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Sales Gurus - Overcome This Objection

Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Sales Gurus - Overcome This Objection

this was "inspired" from someone's post in another recent thread (Utlimate/Finley)

YOU: "Ok, how does that sound?"

PROSPECT: "Great"

YOU: "great - I have an opening on July 10th - does that work for you"

PROSPECT: "Well we need to talk it over"

or "Well, we're waiting on 2 other estimates"

I'm getting a LITTLE bit better at objections ... but I "lock up" at those two and just nod my head

how would you salesmen react to either of those statements (or similar BS)?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Class A Contractor "BLD"

Trade: Remodeling and home improvements
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sales Gurus - Overcome This Objection

I would say OK thank you for your time and we look forward to working with you (this is easy for us to say because we stay pretty busy through word of mouth).

Nothing worse than seeming desperate for work by trying to convince them to making a ($20,000) decision on the spot.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential (marine) piers
Rewards Points: 150

Last edited by bill r; 04-08-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt diggler View Post
PROSPECT: "Well we need to talk it over"
"Great. I have a quick phonecall I need to make that will take a few minutes. I'll go outside to the truck and make my call, and you two can talk it over. Back in a few".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt diggler View Post
PROSPECT: ""Well, we're waiting on 2 other estimates"
"You said earlier that price wasn't your only concern. When I showed you blah, blah, and blah, you said that was perfect. When I showed you blah, blah, blah.... So, you really don't need to wait on those estimates. How's Thursday the 24th for you to start work?"
Old 04-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Monkey Scratching Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,456

First make sure that they understand that your opening is only open at this point, and probably will not be next week. Second, ask them if it is OK for you to check back in a couple of days, then give them (another) card, and wish them a good day.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
DGR,IABD

A lot of these "wait" type objections can be headed off early in the presentation by asking innocent questions such as, "If I can show you how you can get XYZ at a cost within your budget, are you prepared to (whatever... sign, pay, schedule)?". If you get a yes, then they can't put you off in the end.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
A lot of these "wait" type objections can be headed off early in the presentation by asking innocent questions such as, "If I can show you how you can get XYZ at a cost within your budget, are you prepared to (whatever... sign, pay, schedule)?". If you get a yes, then they can't put you off in the end.
What do you do if they say no?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Pro

Last edited by bill r; 04-08-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #9
DGR,IABD

edited

Last edited by mdshunk; 04-08-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: because
Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougchips View Post
What do you do if they say no?
You build up to it with a series of 'yes' questions. I gave you the condensed version. The fact that you get these objections at the end is basically a symptom that you didn't head off any possibility of getting them earlier on in the presentation. I might add that these are not even the real objection. Stalling type objections are never about waiting. They're more about "see ya later". The real objection is something totally different.

Last edited by mdshunk; 04-08-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Pro

Last edited by bill r; 04-08-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

I meant after the warm up when you ask the question and they say no.

"Marge and I always get 3 estimates and your the first one so we are letting you know now that while you might be a nice guy and all that there is no way in hell that we are buying anything today."
Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #13

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

"We need to talk it over..."

---While we were speaking about "this project" you both mentioned concerns on "price, value, quality". While we spoke, you both agreed that the price was within range, we selected a quality product which created an excellent value. Mrs. X...do you have any questions at this time? (if yes, answer questions) No? ok, Mr. X...do you have any questions at this time? (if yes, answer) No, ok.

(here, i might steal the "phone call in the truck idea". Upon return, I would ensure that I killed any objections, then repeat the previous. After which, I would follow with)

Now that we have clarified any questions, would you prefer to start on Monday or Wednesday?

In regards to the 2 estimates idea. If you haven't already, this is the time to become their friend.

---It's a smart idea to shop around. It's good to see smart folks like you who do their homework. Many of my customers have done the same thing. Most see that my price is right with the quality of my product / service. I regret that some have chosen someone that they found cheaper, but then called me up X months later re-do the project because they were not happy with the results.

When are your appointments for the estimates? Ok...today's monday and your appt's are for wed and fri. Then, over the weekend you can compare everything and I'll check back in with you next monday and see if you have any additional questions. Is that fair? What time would be best, morning or evening?

(the phrase "Is that fair" is a killer. No one wants to seem unfair and when you ask this, they automatically respond with a YES)
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

I agree with mdshunk's approach. I solate the objection - find out what they're real reason for stalling is.. and close from there. I'd pretty much use an assumtive close from that point.

If oyu get a lot of this... it's usually a case of two things - not using trial closes thorughout the presentation... or they're giving you the "go-away" pill. Do you get many of these people to buy from you after walking away from the appointment? If so... i owuldnt try to close hard... just work on your "after-presentation" info - additional testimonials, info, product details, whatever.

if a majority are not buying from you after you walk - it doesnt make sense to walk... does it? Work on your presentation.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008
Red face

I wrap it up & send a thank you note a few days later, that generally gets them moving...

if they are stubborn refer to the signiture at the bottom of this post

Last edited by POOLMANinCT; 04-08-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #16
DGR,IABD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR View Post
If oyu get a lot of this... it's usually a case of two things - not using trial closes thorughout the presentation...
Yes, use your A-B-C's....

Always Be Closing.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

Have them sign the contract and put a deposit on the job with a clause, that they can call you within a exact period of time if they have a change of heart......
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows

these are just smoke screens and not real objections! 1st you need to go back and find out the real objections, but as far as think over , the phone call scenerio works well or the paperwork i need to finish up on from my last cllient today so you just flick the porch light on a couple times when your done thinking it over and i'll be in. ( always leave something in the house like siding sample or coil colors to get back in. they call this the porch light close! next the other estimates, ok mr & mrs, soso, what other products would you like to talk about? pull out another contract hopefully from your competitor and show them more estimates then give them your apples to apples form and tell them they have 30 days to match your quality and service and if they find someone cheaper you'll pay the difference. key here is to have great quality products not lumber yard grade like most your comp has. provide better service and back it up with a life time labor warrenty! hope this helps. and for the guy thats really busy to ask for the work he's not really busy making money but rather just taking orders. and probably having trouble paying his bills and staying consistant with great jobs at a great profit margin. so don't let him tell you any different. overcome those objections and keep on asking for the jobs at your price you will be much further ahead in the long run actually you may find yourself doing less work for much greater profit and isnt that what we all want to acheive. and then grow from that to doing more work at better profits? less # of jobs at higher profit margins = success more free time to spend with family. more work for less money = so busy don't know what way to go. no time for family, and no money to pay bills when the work ends. ooops! out of business. later
Old 04-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

I'm not a big fan of the recision close. I've used on one-leggers... and 90% of them cancel. If the buying committee is there... I wouldn't use it. You'll be let down on a whole lot of business you mistakenly thought you had.

This is another great example of using a questionaire to start your presentation. If, in your industry, you can show the homeowner their options... get them to commit to the option you recommend... you've killed the above excuses not to commit. The only answer they can give you is that they want to compare prices... which sets you up for a price drop close.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows

yep! take the customer survey at the start of your meeting with the customers and in thAT Survey ask the question of how long have you been thinking about doing this project? then when they say i want to think about it you got ammo. ok mr mrs soso i see here you have already been thinking about this for 7 years isn't it about time to set your mind at ease and get this project off the table and onto your home. so you have more time to think about other things like billies baseball tournament this weekend?

Advertisement