Question For The People That Do Home Shows..... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Pro
 
handyhands's Avatar
 
Trade: renovations of all kinds
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast
Posts: 539
Rewards Points: 500

Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Hi guys...I was simply wondering how the year so far is treating you guys in regards to home shows.

We've just done our 5th home show this year as of this past weekend. Unlike alot of the other vendors that have their fishbowls full of candy, we instead don't make it a point to give candy away, nor take part in any "sign up here to win a house full of windows" gimmicks. We have quite an attractive display, and strive to talk to as many homeowners who are kind enough to stop by and express an interest in having some work done to their home.

Personally, I prefer to schedule the estimate right on the spot, as opposed to going into the office first thing on Monday to rifle through a shiatload of people who "signed up to win" some freebie. The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

Sorry for rambling, but my question is,......Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~
handyhands is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
 
CF Construction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 162
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


...we've never done a home show, but there's many of them that take place down here in South Florida on a consistent basis. What would you recommend to do?

Advertisement

CF Construction is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Pro
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Trade: siding
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 17,271
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


not me but i know Patricks doin one
Tom Struble is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


I did a show 3 weeks ago, I have a great display and I dressed well.
Got a lot of "were just looking for ideas" could not set appointments that well.
I qualify hard and ended up giving out litearature for the most part.
I have a table top show Saturday, I'll see how that goes.
silvertree is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Pro
 
handyhands's Avatar
 
Trade: renovations of all kinds
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast
Posts: 539
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


I wish you luck...

We have a few more shows, maybe about 5 left for the year,....Still however trying to touch base with some contacts from our last 4 shows though....Making the calls,...Sending the emails,....Sending literature....

Next step? Smoke signals.


Nonetheless, good luck with your show....And by the way,....I was reading some older threads,...and noticed your folks are from Manchester....Small world, considering that's about 10 minutes from my shop.

All the best-
handyhands is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Thanks,
It's tough out there for some of us, you just have to hang tough.
I just got a confirmation for my truck display for "Customer appreciation day" at a local bank. So there is some more face time for Silvertree.
silvertree is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Pro
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,196
Rewards Points: 2,364

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Your looking at a guy that has never took info at a home show, simply given our our cards and waited for the phone to ring, this year however we are setting appointments at the show
__________________
Originally Posted by Celtic
Like I said...I'm sure you are very good at what you do ~ whatever that is and where ever it happens.
Patrick is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Your looking at a guy that has never took info at a home show, simply given our our cards and waited for the phone to ring, this year however we are setting appointments at the show
Then I need to get better at it, or get another job. I tried. My show truck proved difficult because its intimate, and if you got 4 people in there it was crowded. I had a family of large people enter the truck 5 of them, then 2 of their friends, I'm guessing 250lbs each, or more, plus the display. I had to adjust the stairs after they left.
silvertree is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Pro
 
Patrick's Avatar
 
Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,196
Rewards Points: 2,364

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Heres what we got done today, will finish it up tommorow and move in all the window displays
Attached Images
   
__________________
Originally Posted by Celtic
Like I said...I'm sure you are very good at what you do ~ whatever that is and where ever it happens.
Patrick is offline  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Remodeling GC
 
kevjob's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,725
Rewards Points: 2,616

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
Then I had a family of large people enter the truck 5 of them, then 2 of their friends, I'm guessing 250lbs each, or more, plus the display. I had to adjust the stairs after they left.
better mud set all the tile floors then.
kevjob is online now  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
better mud set all the tile floors then.
Floating cork floor in the truck, funny, when the large people moved, the back of the truck sqeaked, you could hear it above the noise of the show.

Patrick, I like your display, very cool.
silvertree is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Pro
 
modterry's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Modular builder
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 178
Rewards Points: 160

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Heres what we got done today, will finish it up tommorow and move in all the window displays
Patrick - Is that a wall or is it a whole house you are building? Looks great.

Terry
modterry is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Pro
 
threaderman's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oklahoma city
Posts: 1,178
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
Hi guys...I was simply wondering how the year so far is treating you guys in regards to home shows.

We've just done our 5th home show this year as of this past weekend. Unlike alot of the other vendors that have their fishbowls full of candy, we instead don't make it a point to give candy away, nor take part in any "sign up here to win a house full of windows" gimmicks. We have quite an attractive display, and strive to talk to as many homeowners who are kind enough to stop by and express an interest in having some work done to their home.

Personally, I prefer to schedule the estimate right on the spot, as opposed to going into the office first thing on Monday to rifle through a shiatload of people who "signed up to win" some freebie. The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

Sorry for rambling, but my question is,......Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~
I'm not buying anything with-out getting some candy!
threaderman is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Member
 
knoxwindowdude's Avatar
 
Trade: window,siding and roofing contractor
Join Date: May 2008
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 73
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


We just finished a spring home show and we were able to get 900 leads in 3 days. We had 4 of us in the booth and aisles and 2 back ups getting us coffee etc. We talked to every person that walked by, and made a game of seeing who could get the most leads per 1/2 hour. We sank alot of money in this and wanted to see big results. We all have worked the home shows for 20 years and have never got more tan 200 leads in 3 days. We did give away a $2500. gift away towards any home improvement over a $5000 job. It worked and it worked real well.
We hired two guys in their twentys to start calling and setting appointments first thing monday morning. We have been running 6 leads a day Mon - Sat since then. We have sold 12 jobs so far.
We think that since most homeowners are not buying a new house, boat, car or vacation they now need to work on the house that they would have just sold before.
knoxwindowdude is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

Sorry for rambling, but my question is,......Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.
#1 Lots of people will give you information when you ask as the less painful alternative to telling you the truth

#2 Lots of people have the desire to keep purchasing, but the voice in their heads over-powers that desire with fear right now.

I would say what you are experiencing is typical for the current economic situation.
Mike Finley is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Member
 
WindowBiz's Avatar
 
Trade: Replacement Windows
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 68
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxwindowdude View Post
We just finished a spring home show and we were able to get 900 leads in 3 days. We had 4 of us in the booth and aisles and 2 back ups getting us coffee etc. We talked to every person that walked by, and made a game of seeing who could get the most leads per 1/2 hour. We sank alot of money in this and wanted to see big results. We all have worked the home shows for 20 years and have never got more tan 200 leads in 3 days. We did give away a $2500. gift away towards any home improvement over a $5000 job. It worked and it worked real well.
We hired two guys in their twentys to start calling and setting appointments first thing monday morning. We have been running 6 leads a day Mon - Sat since then. We have sold 12 jobs so far.
We think that since most homeowners are not buying a new house, boat, car or vacation they now need to work on the house that they would have just sold before.
Out of the 900 names you collected how many did you set? Must of been a huge home show.
WindowBiz is offline  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
 
Bluepenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 49
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~
We were at the HomeXpo this past January, and it was our first show.
I wasn't too impressed with the results. Most of the people we spoke to and scheduled to do quotes later turned out to be tire-kickers, not solid prospects.

It seemed that people are very willing to speak to you and decide on a quote in the heat of the moment, following up and booking the job is a very different thing.

Then again, you might get that one business card that brings in thousands later on. It's a gamble. I'm not sure if we'll do the expo again next year. Its very hard work!
Bluepenguin is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #18
Pro
 
duckdown's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Theater
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hartford CT
Posts: 177
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


In a tight ecomony, many attendees are looking for new products and not necessarily new products that come with contractors attached. Do it yourself is something that we have to figure out how to play with.
duckdown is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
Pro
 
Mike Finley's Avatar
 
Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Posts: 14,078
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdown View Post
Do it yourself is something that we have to figure out how to play with.
Why is that?

Last time I checked we were all contractors not Home Depot.
Mike Finley is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Member
 
Constructive1's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 30
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....


We can definitely choose not to play with those that want to diy.

But...

I think that what duckdown is saying is that the percentage of people wanting to diy is increasing. We can either wish them luck and pursue the shrinking number of customers who are willing to hire pro's, or develop strategies to overcome their desire to save a few $'s.

I know I can save a few bucks by changing the oil in my trucks and wife's car, but at this point it's still not worth it for the time, mess, and disposal involved...

Advertisement

Constructive1 is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Answer a Question with a Question Nathan Off Topic (Non Trade) 151 10-07-2008 02:07 PM
Todays News: Contractors are dropping prices on home improvements BKFranks Business 6 08-03-2008 10:04 AM
I am Home people. lol Candlewood New Member Introductions 10 05-07-2008 10:13 PM
Custom Home Marketing MikeTheBuilder Marketing & Sales 3 10-24-2007 08:50 AM
Home shows kowdecks Marketing & Sales 19 03-06-2006 12:56 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?