Question For The People That Do Home Shows..... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....

Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds
Rewards Points: 500

Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....

Hi guys...I was simply wondering how the year so far is treating you guys in regards to home shows.

We've just done our 5th home show this year as of this past weekend. Unlike alot of the other vendors that have their fishbowls full of candy, we instead don't make it a point to give candy away, nor take part in any "sign up here to win a house full of windows" gimmicks. We have quite an attractive display, and strive to talk to as many homeowners who are kind enough to stop by and express an interest in having some work done to their home.

Personally, I prefer to schedule the estimate right on the spot, as opposed to going into the office first thing on Monday to rifle through a shiatload of people who "signed up to win" some freebie. The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

Sorry for rambling, but my question is,......Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Re: Question For The People That Do Home Shows.....

...we've never done a home show, but there's many of them that take place down here in South Florida on a consistent basis. What would you recommend to do?

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

not me but i know Patricks doin one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I did a show 3 weeks ago, I have a great display and I dressed well.
Got a lot of "were just looking for ideas" could not set appointments that well.
I qualify hard and ended up giving out litearature for the most part.
I have a table top show Saturday, I'll see how that goes.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds

I wish you luck...

We have a few more shows, maybe about 5 left for the year,....Still however trying to touch base with some contacts from our last 4 shows though....Making the calls,...Sending the emails,....Sending literature....

Next step? Smoke signals.

Nonetheless, good luck with your show....And by the way,....I was reading some older threads,...and noticed your folks are from Manchester....Small world, considering that's about 10 minutes from my shop.

All the best-
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Certified Remodeler

Thanks,
It's tough out there for some of us, you just have to hang tough.
I just got a confirmation for my truck display for "Customer appreciation day" at a local bank. So there is some more face time for Silvertree.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Your looking at a guy that has never took info at a home show, simply given our our cards and waited for the phone to ring, this year however we are setting appointments at the show
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Certified Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Your looking at a guy that has never took info at a home show, simply given our our cards and waited for the phone to ring, this year however we are setting appointments at the show
Then I need to get better at it, or get another job. I tried. My show truck proved difficult because its intimate, and if you got 4 people in there it was crowded. I had a family of large people enter the truck 5 of them, then 2 of their friends, I'm guessing 250lbs each, or more, plus the display. I had to adjust the stairs after they left.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Heres what we got done today, will finish it up tommorow and move in all the window displays
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
Then I had a family of large people enter the truck 5 of them, then 2 of their friends, I'm guessing 250lbs each, or more, plus the display. I had to adjust the stairs after they left.
better mud set all the tile floors then.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Certified Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
better mud set all the tile floors then.
Floating cork floor in the truck, funny, when the large people moved, the back of the truck sqeaked, you could hear it above the noise of the show.

Patrick, I like your display, very cool.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom Modular builder
Rewards Points: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Heres what we got done today, will finish it up tommorow and move in all the window displays
Patrick - Is that a wall or is it a whole house you are building? Looks great.

Terry
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhands View Post
Hi guys...I was simply wondering how the year so far is treating you guys in regards to home shows.

We've just done our 5th home show this year as of this past weekend. Unlike alot of the other vendors that have their fishbowls full of candy, we instead don't make it a point to give candy away, nor take part in any "sign up here to win a house full of windows" gimmicks. We have quite an attractive display, and strive to talk to as many homeowners who are kind enough to stop by and express an interest in having some work done to their home.

Personally, I prefer to schedule the estimate right on the spot, as opposed to going into the office first thing on Monday to rifle through a shiatload of people who "signed up to win" some freebie. The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

Sorry for rambling, but my question is,......Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~
I'm not buying anything with-out getting some candy!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #14

Trade: window,siding and roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 75

We just finished a spring home show and we were able to get 900 leads in 3 days. We had 4 of us in the booth and aisles and 2 back ups getting us coffee etc. We talked to every person that walked by, and made a game of seeing who could get the most leads per 1/2 hour. We sank alot of money in this and wanted to see big results. We all have worked the home shows for 20 years and have never got more tan 200 leads in 3 days. We did give away a $2500. gift away towards any home improvement over a $5000 job. It worked and it worked real well.
We hired two guys in their twentys to start calling and setting appointments first thing monday morning. We have been running 6 leads a day Mon - Sat since then. We have sold 12 jobs so far.
We think that since most homeowners are not buying a new house, boat, car or vacation they now need to work on the house that they would have just sold before.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
The only thing I'm noticing is as many interested people I talk to at the homeshow, I would expect more of the people who gave me their information to be willing to schedule an estimate.

#1 Lots of people will give you information when you ask as the less painful alternative to telling you the truth

#2 Lots of people have the desire to keep purchasing, but the voice in their heads over-powers that desire with fear right now.

I would say what you are experiencing is typical for the current economic situation.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #16

Trade: Replacement Windows
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxwindowdude View Post
We just finished a spring home show and we were able to get 900 leads in 3 days. We had 4 of us in the booth and aisles and 2 back ups getting us coffee etc. We talked to every person that walked by, and made a game of seeing who could get the most leads per 1/2 hour. We sank alot of money in this and wanted to see big results. We all have worked the home shows for 20 years and have never got more tan 200 leads in 3 days. We did give away a $2500. gift away towards any home improvement over a $5000 job. It worked and it worked real well.
We hired two guys in their twentys to start calling and setting appointments first thing monday morning. We have been running 6 leads a day Mon - Sat since then. We have sold 12 jobs so far.
We think that since most homeowners are not buying a new house, boat, car or vacation they now need to work on the house that they would have just sold before.
Out of the 900 names you collected how many did you set? Must of been a huge home show.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Are any of you experiencing the same "trend"? (of being able to get information of prospects, only to have them never answer their phones or return emails?)--Just curious.

Thanks for the insight~
We were at the HomeXpo this past January, and it was our first show.
I wasn't too impressed with the results. Most of the people we spoke to and scheduled to do quotes later turned out to be tire-kickers, not solid prospects.

It seemed that people are very willing to speak to you and decide on a quote in the heat of the moment, following up and booking the job is a very different thing.

Then again, you might get that one business card that brings in thousands later on. It's a gamble. I'm not sure if we'll do the expo again next year. Its very hard work!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Theater
Rewards Points: 150

In a tight ecomony, many attendees are looking for new products and not necessarily new products that come with contractors attached. Do it yourself is something that we have to figure out how to play with.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdown View Post
Do it yourself is something that we have to figure out how to play with.
Why is that?

Last time I checked we were all contractors not Home Depot.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #20

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

We can definitely choose not to play with those that want to diy.

But...

I think that what duckdown is saying is that the percentage of people wanting to diy is increasing. We can either wish them luck and pursue the shrinking number of customers who are willing to hire pro's, or develop strategies to overcome their desire to save a few $'s.

I know I can save a few bucks by changing the oil in my trucks and wife's car, but at this point it's still not worth it for the time, mess, and disposal involved...

Advertisement