Presentation Takes Time - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Presentation Takes Time

Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 516

Presentation Takes Time

What do you think is the optimum amount of time to spend on a presentation?

It takes me about one hour and forty five minutes to cover everything and get the contract signed.

Most people I talk to these days are pressed for time and I want to make it easy for my prospect to buy from me.

I wonder if asking the prospects to invest that much time would cause them to not want to set the appointment.

That is the dilemma; they may not want to invest enough time to get everything they need to arrive at a decision and how much time is actually needed to cover all the issues.

Do you feel that I should try to speed up the process?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Presentation Takes Time

tellem 10 minutes of their time and when u arrive, make it count.

usually about 1 hour, 45 minutes!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

Tell them it will take less than 30 seconds.

They sign the contract and you will go back to the office and fill it in!!

Really though the average attention span is less then 45 minutes. Speed it up.
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 152

Tell them it takes about 30 minutes, depending on how many questions they have. After your in the door do your presentation!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

If I have to meet anyone, I try to be in and out in 10 minutes. Most of mine are done by e-mail.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 150

My appointements run on average 2 hours. Now this is measuring the roof, taking pictures, crunching the numbers and a full presentation. If the homeowner asks how long the appointment will last, i tell them, about an hour depending on their questions.
I am not concerned about the amount of time it takes. When the average homeowner is spending about $8,000 on a new roof, i make sure i am thorough and do not rush it.
Every once in awhile i get someone who is in a hurry, but most people understand that the estimate is a free service and let me do my job.
Oh and i call my presentation the "Shock and Awe" presentation.
I make it informative and fun!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roofman20033 For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (01-17-2010), Magic Hammer (01-16-2010), nlgutters (01-16-2010)
Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

I run about 1-2hrs at most, unless further discussion is needed. After my presentation, I'm just about always roped into a sports conversation, food, etc.. or something. Other than that, I guess it's my personality -- I'm very persuasive in a conversation I've been told, not in a bad way lol..
Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Co View Post
I run about 1-2hrs at most, unless further discussion is needed. After my presentation, I'm just about always roped into a sports conversation, food, etc.. or something. Other than that, I guess it's my personality -- I'm very persuasive in a conversation I've been told, not in a bad way lol..

If you can keep them busy/interested for 2 hours i would say generally the job is yours!!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Sales, Consulting
Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
What do you think is the optimum amount of time to spend on a presentation?

It takes me about one hour and forty five minutes to cover everything and get the contract signed.

Most people I talk to these days are pressed for time and I want to make it easy for my prospect to buy from me.

I wonder if asking the prospects to invest that much time would cause them to not want to set the appointment.

That is the dilemma; they may not want to invest enough time to get everything they need to arrive at a decision and how much time is actually needed to cover all the issues.

Do you feel that I should try to speed up the process?
I think you're right on time wise...

I get the "how long" question every once in awhile and I tell them an hour or so depending on how many questions they have. Then I ask if they have something they have to run off to. If they say yes i ask when they're leaving. If it's within the hour I reset it. I've found once you get going they'll usually stick with you because you have what they want...the price!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exteriors as a whole
Rewards Points: 530

I agree with Daimond. Our demos take about 2 hours to close the deal. You simply can't do a good demo in less time.

We also qualify strongly on the phone. If they tell us they only have an hour we find another time to meet. If they refuse we don't set it.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
I agree with Daimond. Our demos take about 2 hours to close the deal. You simply can't do a good demo in less time.

We also qualify strongly on the phone. If they tell us they only have an hour we find another time to meet. If they refuse we don't set it.
Thanks for the input.

Sometimes my appointments go 2 hours also.

I recently started using aerial photographs to do my estimates so I have the price for the roof figured out before I get there. When I get there all I have to do is confirm the pitch and sometimes add in a few items like ventilation improvements.

Anyway the point is I can do it all in one visit and it might be a benefit to the prospect if I can do it in less time.

When prospects ask how long it will take you have to give them an accurate answer or one of them may have to leave before you are done.

Lately itís been hard to get both decision makers there for the appointment. So on the last 2 appointments l lowered my standards and went on a one legger. Fortunately I got the jobs but it required another trip back for both jobs.

It would have saved time for me and the prospect if they had agreed to my process. We could have taken care of it in one visit.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
Thanks for the input.

Sometimes my appointments go 2 hours also.

I recently started using aerial photographs to do my estimates so I have the price for the roof figured out before I get there. When I get there all I have to do is confirm the pitch and sometimes add in a few items like ventilation improvements.

Anyway the point is I can do it all in one visit and it might be a benefit to the prospect if I can do it in less time.

When prospects ask how long it will take you have to give them an accurate answer or one of them may have to leave before you are done.

Lately itís been hard to get both decision makers there for the appointment. So on the last 2 appointments l lowered my standards and went on a one legger. Fortunately I got the jobs but it required another trip back for both jobs.

It would have saved time for me and the prospect if they had agreed to my process. We could have taken care of it in one visit.

We have found ourselves in the same position with respect to one leggers. We are running them more than ever and we do sell a few of them.
When we go on them, we do a full demo just like we do with a two legger.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for share
Old 01-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Pro

I hate one leggers!!
I can't tell you how many i have run and my closing percentage is way low with them.
I try to avoid them at all costs.
This is what i tell them if they only want to meet with one of them.
"Mr Jones, the reason i like to meet with you and your wife at the same time is because she may have questions you can't answer and you may have questions she can't answer. So by meeting at the same time everyone is on the same page. Makes sense doesn't it?"
They will usually agree with no problem!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofman20033 View Post
I hate one leggers!!
I can't tell you how many i have run and my closing percentage is way low with them.
I try to avoid them at all costs.
This is what i tell them if they only want to meet with one of them.
"Mr Jones, the reason i like to meet with you and your wife at the same time is because she may have questions you can't answer and you may have questions she can't answer. So by meeting at the same time everyone is on the same page. Makes sense doesn't it?"
They will usually agree with no problem!

Buyers today are pretty sophisticated. They know exactly what your trying to do and will avoid it at all costs. We've had them lie to us, commit only to get there and find the wife or husband is at a social event or something.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: sales

guys,very simple with one leggers.
"mary, will both you and your husband be home? i ask this because we now follow the better business bureau guidlines when giving an estimate. we are supposed to meet with both owners of the home when any kind of home improvement is involved. this helps eliminate future problems such as : Mary, why the heck did you order pink siding! i kind of make a joke about that.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
guys,very simple with one leggers.
"mary, will both you and your husband be home? i ask this because we now follow the better business bureau guidlines when giving an estimate. we are supposed to meet with both owners of the home when any kind of home improvement is involved. this helps eliminate future problems such as : Mary, why the heck did you order pink siding! i kind of make a joke about that.

Do you have a link to the bbb guideline?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Pro

no link but its what i use and it works. i was told this was a guidline so i went with it and it worked. makes the customer more confident as well when you throw that in.
however,for some reson i do believe the bbb does mention something to that affect.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by welterweight View Post
no link but its what i use and it works. i was told this was a guidline so i went with it and it worked. makes the customer more confident as well when you throw that in.
however,for some reson i do believe the bbb does mention something to that affect.

I really like that one. Whether it's true or not it's strong
Old 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
Pro

all kidding aside,its strong and it works . i am also being a bit more aggressive on calls WHEN I HAVE TOO. bottom line,they called me for a service so lets just get the friggin thing done! that works too.

Advertisement