Please Review My New Website - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Please Review My New Website

Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

Please Review My New Website

This site was built by Carl Sorenson and the design was done by Keith from KBK Graphix.

What do you guys think? Any and all feedback is welcome.

http://www.onedayfloorpro.com/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

Re: Please Review My New Website

I like it. I like how it handles multiple service areas. I have to work on that with our site.

If I was to nit pick - The fonts on the top bar "call 855..." etc. looks choppy on my screen.

Advertisement

lawndart (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,752

Most of the site read well on my phone. The top title banner and the testimonial section did not scale down.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhark123 For This Useful Post:
lawndart (01-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 892

It looks great to me. I am a grammar nazi and though I didn't read through all of it, your writing and lack of dumb spelling errors impressed me.

Many sites looks like an 8 year old wrote the verbiage.
lawndart (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

Nicely done John, Is it really that much different than Mr. **** less ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eaglei For This Useful Post:
lawndart (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
The Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglei View Post
Nicely done John, Is it really that much different than Mr. **** less ?
I'm glad you picked that up. Although my service is similar we are using UV site applied finishes that cure instantly. Mr [email protected]$$ is using a water base finish that still take 3 days to cure. The UV finishes are also much harder and more durable than any two part component water based finish on the market.

In addition to the above we also do re-sanding unlike MR. [email protected]$$.

Thanks for the feedback
The Following User Says Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
Eaglei (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Do you have several vans / trucks? I believe the service area thing is for search engines in the various locales. But, there has to be a more subtle way of doing it. I just don't think that stuff is a good look, especially on the home page.
lawndart (01-17-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 10,832

The site is great. I love orange on sites. The menu drop downs are nice. On my note 4 the whole header doesnt fit right. But the rest does.

You could no follow houzz. If you put it in the widget just fix it so its no follow. I would even go a step further and make it an image and not clickable.

I would like to test how much weight is given to site wides in footers. I would doubt it would fluctuate individual pages. A map with a radius is less "wall of text".
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
lawndart (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Knucklehead in charge

Trade: Interior Renovations
Rewards Points: 396

Common boiler plate type website with the usual phony people pictures and usual fluff that shows you're no different from the rest of the crowd.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Knucklehead For This Useful Post:
lawndart (01-17-2015), TNTRenovate (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #10

Trade: Consultant
Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Do you have several vans / trucks? I believe the service area thing is for search engines in the various locales. But, there has to be a more subtle way of doing it. I just don't think that stuff is a good look, especially on the home page.

I agree. I would replace this area with the testimonials from your customers. Otherwise very nice site.

To drive more traffic you could post pics to Pinterest and Instagram that link back to your site. Quality back links can increase your SEO and when you start ranking you can eliminate the list of service areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to GovtContractor For This Useful Post:
lawndart (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #11
The Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knucklehead View Post
Common boiler plate type website with the usual phony people pictures and usual fluff that shows you're no different from the rest of the crowd.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. This is essentially a startup business for me which is why you see what you do.

Hopefully, I will be updating in the future with jobs and customer photos.

I don't think my site looks like a template though. I spent a bit of money on graphics to create a brand and business model that is unlike any others in my market.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
Mr Knucklehead (01-18-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
The Finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtContractor View Post
I agree. I would replace this area with the testimonials from your customers. Otherwise very nice site.

To drive more traffic you could post pics to Pinterest and Instagram that link back to your site. Quality back links can increase your SEO and when you start ranking you can eliminate the list of service areas.
Thanks. I'm working on building back links through directories, social media sites and hired a content writer to blog for me.

Hopefully all of the above will help me rank well in the serps
Old 01-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Give one example of a site you think is doing things correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (01-19-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
A competitor, but, here is an example of a sharp website: http://www.accessheating.com/.

If L.D. is a smaller outfit, I would say that he should let it show. Many people want small time. In my opinion, although p.1 is attractive, it makes one think that said company one of the bigger outfits in town (nothing wrong with that either). Which is fine, if he is dispatching.

I just think that the first page should accurately portray who you are.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Pro

That site is nice sure but its not going to convert customers any better then the other one.

People get emotional about their sites when they shouldnt. They should get greedy about their sites. Conversions and how much money you make from it are all that matter period. It is the only reason to have one.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Board Shortener

Trade: Carpentry / Remodels
Rewards Points: 706

Looks good.

Didn't read the whole thing, but there are a few grammatical errors on the "Sandless Wood Floor Refinishing in One Day" page under "Services". A few punctuation and run-on sentences as well.

A couple examples:

The sandless wood floor refinishing process, combined with our UV coat and cure system, will leave you with a brand new looking finished floor that is twice as durable as any other finish manufacturer on the market. There are no lingering odors or chemicals, and most importantly, no down time.

...There are lots of reasons.....

...The process is quicker and cheaper than a full re-sand...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #17
Knucklehead in charge

Trade: Interior Renovations
Rewards Points: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

JBM, His website may be a perfect reflection of his business and is correct for his business model. That I don't know, but what I do know, the website is a run of the mill boiler plate website that anybody can do by purchasing one of those "Boiler Plate" templates.

I'm not trying to degrade his site, I’m giving him my personal opinion as a consumer that uses the internet and gets very bored with a lot of busy pages that makes me do one thing, click off the site.

You can load a site with lots of content and design it to keep you there by not only providing information that is relevant to what you're seeking, but is very smooth and easy to navigate. But you must first capture the consumer emotionally.

I'm not a web developer, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I like to see in a website as a consumer. Most of these web designers have not a clue because they are trying to impress their client with a lot of bells and whistles to justify their fee.

There's too much confusion on the internet, over information and people don't have the time to sift through busy boring run of the mill sites.

For an example I'm posting a link of one I like. It's tailored to the business because the person who designed this website first got to know the people who run the business. He didn’t care (at first) what they did, he wanted to know who they are. The designer set this business apart from the rest by reaching you emotionally the moment you click on the site. The designer I believe hit this out of the ball park because he made it very personal, he put faces of real people who you will deal with first. Not all the BS that we already know about what this business does. If you're a painter I already know you're going to paint and try to convince me you’re the best. I know that because I’m a conditioned consumer and know the hype.

http://jlfarchitects.com/principal/paul-bertelli/
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,906

Quote:

Gimmicky Word Press Plugin type template Whoopee Slow to load ect Only thing missing was music with no volume control. Personally I Despise these artsy websites and consider them general BS propaganda.

Architects' desired audience is WAYYYYYYYY different than a customer who is looking for one day floor refinishing. What you want in an architect is the 'People' as it is an intellectual service. Floor refinishing I want to know it will be done right, on price with clean and proffessional tradesman... Don't really care much beyond that.

All said, beyond personal beefs, they are both good websites and target their desired demographics well. I like lawn dart's site. Not a fan of the template format either, however, an outstanding job of making it feel fresh and unique.

Last edited by Texas Wax; 01-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #19

Trade: Power Washing
Rewards Points: 14

Site looks great. Great choice on both web designer and graphic designer.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sparkle-work...hing-llc-evans
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
JBM, His website may be a perfect reflection of his business and is correct for his business model. That I don't know, but what I do know, the website is a run of the mill boiler plate website that anybody can do by purchasing one of those "Boiler Plate" templates.

I'm not trying to degrade his site, Iím giving him my personal opinion as a consumer that uses the internet and gets very bored with a lot of busy pages that makes me do one thing, click off the site.

You can load a site with lots of content and design it to keep you there by not only providing information that is relevant to what you're seeking, but is very smooth and easy to navigate. But you must first capture the consumer emotionally.

I'm not a web developer, but that doesn't mean I don't know what I like to see in a website as a consumer. Most of these web designers have not a clue because they are trying to impress their client with a lot of bells and whistles to justify their fee.

There's too much confusion on the internet, over information and people don't have the time to sift through busy boring run of the mill sites.

For an example I'm posting a link of one I like. It's tailored to the business because the person who designed this website first got to know the people who run the business. He didnít care (at first) what they did, he wanted to know who they are. The designer set this business apart from the rest by reaching you emotionally the moment you click on the site. The designer I believe hit this out of the ball park because he made it very personal, he put faces of real people who you will deal with first. Not all the BS that we already know about what this business does. If you're a painter I already know you're going to paint and try to convince me youíre the best. I know that because Iím a conditioned consumer and know the hype.

http://jlfarchitects.com/principal/paul-bertelli/
I know what you are saying but im not sure if a customer would see the flooring site as "annoying". Buyers want into, a site that gives them that is a plus. Buyers want to know a company values their image and has a professional business, that site does that.

That architect site doesnt work on my phone well, and just kind of rambles on about the people who work there. Add some nice pictures and there ya go. You are buying a relationship with them, but there is lots of missed opportunity with that site, I suspect it doesnt rank for a bunch of KWs.

I would bet treefiddy the flooring site will get more contact us requests then the designers site.

Advertisement