Pick My Website Apart! - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Pick My Website Apart!

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #1

Trade: concrete leveling
Rewards Points: 81

Pick My Website Apart!

just got this thing live this morning. Let me know what you think before I pay the guys the rest of the moneys. www.powerpumpconcrete.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Pick My Website Apart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart4005
just got this thing live this morning. Let me know what you think before I pay the guys the rest of the moneys. www.powerpumpconcrete.com
It's not displaying correctly on my iPhone

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,778

It seems fine enough.

Though I think the joke about filling the crack of the Grand Canyon falls flat and is not needed.

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,288

I only looked at the home page. I like the header but it needs to scroll with the page or collapse.

Do you ask your dentist to check out the job your auto body guy did before you pay him?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Though I think the joke about filling the crack of the Grand Canyon falls flat and is not needed.

Andy.
I agree completely.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

It's 2014, - - the site should be responsive . . .
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Do you ask your dentist to check out the job your auto body guy did before you pay him?[/QUOTE]

oh, I'll definitely pay them, I've already fronted half like they asked in the contract. You guys just might see something obvious that I missed that needs to be addressed before I say It's okay and move on, like it working on iphones and such.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

Its simple and easy to navigate. I like it.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart4005 View Post
Do you ask your dentist to check out the job your auto body guy did before you pay him?
oh, I'll definitely pay them, I've already fronted half like they asked in the contract. You guys just might see something obvious that I missed that needs to be addressed before I say It's okay and move on, like it working on iphones and such.[/QUOTE]

The site is very thin, content is thin, on page seo is missing, header needs to slide up out of the way when you scroll. Look at how the Avida theme collapses, have them make it like that. http://demo.theme-fusion.com/
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

The before and after pictures on all the pages are terrible and maybe difficult for the average person to understand.

Take all the 'we' words out of the dialogue and the 'we at' raises the hair on the back of my neck. Advertising should only describe your customer's benefits and solutions for their problems.

For pictures, I would go on the internet and find some pictures of concrete being pumped into huge projects and then maybe some smaller projects, but not that tiny job on your website. That little job looks too small for a pump and more likely for a wheelbarrow.

Last edited by pcplumber; 03-22-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
For pictures, I would go on the internet and find some pictures of concrete being pumped into huge projects and then maybe some smaller projects.
You just can't go steal other peoples photos off of the internet.
That could come back and bite you in the rear when you least want it to.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 03-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

The site is very thin, content is thin, on page seo is missing, header needs to slide up out of the way when you scroll. Look at how the Avida theme collapses, have them make it like that. http://demo.theme-fusion.com/[/QUOTE]

explain on page seo?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
Pro

I still think that all the 'Contact Us' and 'About Us' and everything is garbage with the exception of content that advertises your services.

When I open a web page I want to see exactly what I want on the first page and I want to be able to find it in less than two seconds. When I see the service I want the next thing I want to see is the phone number so I can call and see if I can find a clown who will answer his phone.

Think like your website is the yellow page book. You open the yellow page book and you go to concrete pumping contractor. You want to see everything in one neat place. You never had to walk your fingers to different pages.

For concrete pumping I think one web page is more than enough. I don't think even the testimonials are necessary. They look cheesy. A web page that make your company look professional speaks for the testimonials.

Take out all the 'we' words and put more effort into one great web page. All you need for your business is a bullet list and some better pictures. You can find millions of free pictures on the internet, or you can buy pictures on websites for less than $5. Or, go to craigslist and pay someone up to $250 to design your one page.

I should not talk. I have the worse designed web pages in the world because I tried hiring web page designers and I never like what they design. So, I stick with my lousy pages.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
I still think that all the 'Contact Us' and 'About Us' and everything is garbage with the exception of content that advertises your services.

When I open a web page I want to see exactly what I want on the first page and I want to be able to find it in less than two seconds. When I see the service I want the next thing I want to see is the phone number so I can call and see if I can find a clown who will answer his phone.

Think like your website is the yellow page book. You open the yellow page book and you go to concrete pumping contractor. You want to see everything in one neat place. You never had to walk your fingers to different pages.

For concrete pumping I think one web page is more than enough. I don't think even the testimonials are necessary. They look cheesy. A web page that make your company look professional speaks for the testimonials.

Take out all the 'we' words and put more effort into one great web page. All you need for your business is a bullet list and some better pictures. You can find millions of free pictures on the internet, or you can buy pictures on websites for less than $5. Or, go to craigslist and pay someone up to $250 to design your one page.

I should not talk. I have the worse designed web pages in the world because I tried hiring web page designers and I never like what they design. So, I stick with my lousy pages.
You have definitely pointed out one thing that needs to change. I obviously need to be more clear on what service I actually provide. more information on the front page maybe.

One thing that I won't do is use pictures that aren't mine. It seems.....unethical.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Crop the big crack in the sidewalk out of the 'after picture'
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:

One thing that I won't do is use pictures that aren't mine. It seems.....unethical.
I don't follow that theory regarding ethics. Every professional who designs every type of ad layout purchases pictures. Pictures are supposed to tell what your company does and there is no shame if you are not good with a camera and you don't have good pictures. If that is the case there is nothing wrong with purchasing pictures that are better than your pictures and purchase pictures that tell what you do.

I stop at other contractor's jobs all the time, take pictures of their work and put the pictures in my ads and on websites. I see nothing wrong with taking pictures of a job where concrete is being pumped and then put the pictures on your website. When the pictures are taken outdoors they are free to the public from all copyright.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
I stop at other contractor's jobs all the time, take pictures of their work and put the pictures in my ads and on websites. I see nothing wrong with taking pictures of a job where concrete is being pumped and then put the pictures on your website. When the pictures are taken outdoors they are free to the public from all copyright.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
I don't follow that theory regarding ethics. Every professional who designs every type of ad layout purchases pictures. Pictures are supposed to tell what your company does and there is no shame if you are not good with a camera and you don't have good pictures. If that is the case there is nothing wrong with purchasing pictures that are better than your pictures and purchase pictures that tell what you do.

you most certainly have a different theory regarding ethics.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
The site is very thin, content is thin, on page seo is missing, header needs to slide up out of the way when you scroll. Look at how the Avida theme collapses, have them make it like that. http://demo.theme-fusion.com/
explain on page seo?[/QUOTE]

Youll have to google this.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #20

yep, I'm googling it.(seo that is)

I'm questioning if my site is even registered with google. I copy a phrase from my site, put quotes around it and nothing comes up when I search for it.

Advertisement

Tags
pc scammer