New Idea For Gift For Customers - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

New Idea For Gift For Customers

Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

New Idea For Gift For Customers

My wife has been pressuring me to put together a gift basket for big master bathroom remodeling projects to give to the customer at the end of the job. (I think she just wants to go shopping at Bath & Body works on the company dime ) She says I need to do this, and fill it up with all kinds of nice smelling bath stuff for the wife. I keep telling her I don't want to get a reputation as the gay bathroom guy.

Well, yesterday it finally dawned on me what I need to give out. Walking through the customers house yesterday the sun was shining just right and I couldn't believe the dust all over their hardwood floors and counters, I thought we were being careful, but somehow we dust bombed their house! We got the push broom out and some rags, but we're not maids, so I think it might have been worse after we got done.

Anyways, it dawned on me like a ton of bricks, I could give these customers a house cleaning gift certificate at the end of the job. No matter how careful we are, dust is always our enemy, I think it just gets carried through their cold air returns and blown through there house no matter how much masking off we do. Leaving them a nice free house cleaning after the job with a note along the lines of "As careful as we want to be with your home, sometimes we just can't help making a bit of a mess, this one is on us." or something along those lines.

Anybody else do this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

Re: New Idea For Gift For Customers

I'd stick with the bubble bath and lotion basket.

Some people will never hire a cleaning lady since they are afraid of strangers in there home.

But, if they let you in their home, i doubt they'd mind a cleaning lady.

Matt

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

Just yesterday,when I had one of the girls revising my "End of Job Evaluation for Customer Satisfaction" form, I came up with the idea that; If you are not 100 % satisfied with our crews final yard clean-up, just let us know! We will send out a professional lanscaping contractor for you, "NO QUESTIONS ASKED", to provide you with a higher quality landscape detailing to ensure that we have left you completely satisfied.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #4
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

Mike,

I think there are two great ideas in your post.

You have identified a possible problem/ complaint and found a way to turn it into a positive. Being pro-active is the best way to avoid problems.

Your wife has identified a great way to add value to the entire experience. After the disruption and inconvenience of a remodel, what better way to celebrate than with a gift basket of "smelly good stuff".

Contractors are rude, crude, and socially obnoxious (that's the common perception). Anytime we can do anything to contradict that perception is usually good. Those 2 ideas blow that perception out of the water. Pun intended.

Brian Phillips
Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

professional house cleaning gift certificate is a GREAT idea! You'd be sold in my book as the best EVER! Other great ideas, depending on where you are located and what kind of clients you have....
1. Definitely the smelly stuff your wife suggested(although be wary here because not everyone likes the same scents and not everyone takes baths)
2. A little gift basket with garden gloves, maybe a few inexpensive flowering plants(impatients or pansies work great), a knee pad to kneel on, a package of seeds, and a $20 gift card to Home Depot or some other kind of hardware/garden one stop shop.
3. Many banks have gift cards now that can be used anywhere, so giving a client "dinner on us". They get a nice relaxing evening at their favorite restaurant and you get to pay the tab with the gift card
4. Last but not least... a gift certificate to a spa. I had a client give these away to her clients and the women just loved him for it. They all got wonderful massages and were able to destress after their home improvement projects were completed.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Pro

Thanks for posting, JW, it's good to get another perspective. Good ideas too, like for the spa and gardening stuff.

Broker out a package with a local spa to buy the gift cards for 25 % of cost. They usually run deals with one free visit or 50 % off anyway, so its added $$ in their pockets. Win-Win.

Ed
Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Ed - you give me an idea, I wonder how cut throat the house cleaning business is? I know around here I get flyers in the mail, door hangers and all kinds of stuff from them all begging to give them a try.

I wonder if I can find a long-sighted house cleaning business owner who would do it for free in order to get his companies foot in the door with a new client? hmmm.... I'm liking this idea better and better.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: marketing

One referral gift that I think works, is partner with your local florist and create an account. And regardless of what type of job you do, send a flower arrangement to the wife of the house to her workplace.

Not only will she be surprised, but everyone she works with will remember you.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

6306 posts, and this is your best yet, I LOVE it, good idea, Mike. (If I'm ever down your way you can cook me dinner and I'll clean up after ). Rich.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #10

Trade: Tile/Stone/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

All large remodels we do we have a professional cleaning crew come in after we are done. The cost is included in our contract. It sets us apart form the rest and you will be remembered for it. It a great selling tool.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronO View Post
One referral gift that I think works, is partner with your local florist and create an account. And regardless of what type of job you do, send a flower arrangement to the wife of the house to her workplace.

Not only will she be surprised, but everyone she works with will remember you.
Any chance that the woman might take the flowers the wrong way??
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
Maybe send the husband some golf balls on the same day.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
New Guy

Trade: marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
Remember the flowers are coming from your company, not you personally. You have the florist put in one of your company business cards or thank you cards. The flowers are not coming from you per se.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

I side with the wife's idea of the gift basket because of the personal side of it. It's a gift..and a gift that brings personal pleasure and "warm fuzzies" in some form stays in the mind longer. I'd stock it with 2 sponges, 2 rolled decorative washclothes monogramed with their last initial, some lotions and body wash, scented soaps- a his and hers scent and even include a popular magazine tastefully rolled up and tied with ribbon as the centerpiece for those long reading times in the new bathroom. All of the items are inexpensive and easy to keep made up in advance. ( Buy a pack of common letters for monogramed wash cloths at any Sears or JC Penney)

The cleaning gift certificate does have good qualities about it, but it also could possibly offend some. "Hmpf, that bathroom contractor thinks my house needs cleaned! "
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #15
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

I've posted this here somewhere. One of my guys sent a homeowner a box of panties that her kids opened. Her husband (separated) kept calling he wanted to kill the my guy. His final pay check was in the mail on the same day and I have not seen him since. Clean criminal background, excellent work history, great finish guy something just came un-wired in his head.

My suggestion is not to send panties.

Last edited by dougchips; 01-26-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #16
Pro

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #17
Pro

At first, when I came up with the landscape detailing idea, I tossed around the potential of having the hungry small landscaper do it for a reduced price due to the potential of acquiring a repeat customer.

Done with the thinking part.

NO! Remember, in my view, I am providing an additional service, (which is included in my price already), to take care of and ensure 100 % customer satisfaction at the end of the job. If I negotiate a cheaper deal for a cheaper style job, I may not get the desired results of this extra landscape detailing I promised. Now, I have potentially really let down my customer instead of overwhelmed them. This should not be the place to lean on a hungry sub-contractor to provide the customer with their final perspective of your companies committment to the extra details. This would be comparative to the hungry cleaning lady companies.

I think that your post may have been more relating to the spa salon reduction in price available to you. First, these are usually near the type of customer come-on-ins that they would gladly offer anyway. Secondly, this service is at their business location, and their reputation depends on satisfying each of their clients.

In my discounted landscaper analogy, what do they really have to lose if they do a poor job or do not show up when required because they have a full price job to go to instead. Let them get payed properly for their service as we would like to be payed as well and hopefully, they have the incentive to continue to provide your customers the service you requested from them.

Ed
Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 250

I vote for the house cleaning. Everyone could use some, but few are willing to admit it. It's a tactful way to give them something they've probably always wanted. For big jobs you might want to include the basket as well.

I know a business owner who runs a $30 an hour maid service and they are marketing to upscale clientele, so you're probably looking at $50 to $100 for a 2 hour cleaning, depending on your local economy. Ed seems right on the mark about avoiding the hungry ones.

Hee hee, I'm not a sports fan, but wouldn't it be funny to toss a copy of Sports Illustrated in the gift basket for the guys to read in that nicely remodeled bathroom
Old 01-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Maybe the swimsuit edition!

I really like these ideas. I'm going to have to jump on this one, and fast.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeler/Deck builder
Rewards Points: 150

I have included a carpet cleaning on the whole house when I have done a bsmt finish. This has gone over pretty good.

It also helps that my father inlaw owns the carpet cleaning business. So it is a in win win all the way around.

Mark

Advertisement