New Coffee Mug Campaign - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

New Coffee Mug Campaign

Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

New Coffee Mug Campaign

We are currently purchasing 40,000 11 ounce coffee mugs from China for about 25 cents to 30 cents each. That is only about $12,000 + shipping $1,000 and all we need is one or two jobs to pay for the mugs, but I believe this is going to be one of the best campaigns ever because people keep the cups for many years. I have coffee cups from businesses that are over 20 years old and we use them in our office every day.

Our goal is to hand-deliver about 300,000 cups within the next year so every home has at least one. From doing our last 4 weeks of door-to-door canvassing we learned that every homeowner is familiar with our company and every home confirms that they received our 5 x 7 magnet calendars, ink pens, and brochures for many years.

When we deliver the cups we will put an ink pen inside each cup and a brochure.

Last edited by pcplumber; 04-11-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: New Coffee Mug Campaign

Advertisement

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Haha, I like that emoticon, cool framerman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

.....seems a little over abundant to me, especially since you've already drilled your company into the minds of these people. I guess it all depends on the demographic because I know out here in Miami, the possibility of you being called through a "coffee mug ad" is slim to none.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Multi-tradesman defender

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 250

You are not trying to get somebody to call you because of the mug, you want them subconsciously being Marketed to so your name is top of mind, when they need something.

Have you ever bought anything , just because you saw an "ad"? Usually, you are looking for something, see an ad, that starts you researching and may turn into a sale for the ad or its competition.

WOW coffee with Silvertree probably wont get him a job, but people love free stuff. And they remember how they got it.

Good luck with the mugs. No lead in them, right? What kind of liability would that bring?

http://www.yourhandymansite.com

Last edited by Handymanservice; 04-11-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Marketing equates to advertising, no matter how you look at it.

Personally speaking, I just think it's over the top to do it, especially since he has branded his name out in his community. I wouldn't take this approach, but I'd definitely look into other marketing options, one being building a much firmer online presence, especially within local searches. I'm not downing him for the choice, but it's definitely not something I would be doing, but to each his own.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Trade: Replacement Windows
Rewards Points: 75

I use the plastic mugs everyday...have around 5 or so. off hand I couldn't tell you one of the names on them...to me you just wasted $13,000
Hopefully you do get a job or two to pay for them...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Construction View Post
Marketing equates to advertising, no matter how you look at it.
Chances are, you probably didn't mean this the way it sounds, but since this is a common misconception, I will be forced to disagree.

I prefer to explain marketing by defining it at its simplest level. When you get past all the complexities of marketing, it's really just getting inside the minds of your customer and persuading them to buy from you. Branding, reach, advertising, and research are some parts of marketing, but none of these are marketing by themselves.

Advertising only serves to get your message out, and without good marketing, the message will be mostly ignored no matter how much advertising you do, or where you advertise.

If I can illustrate this one step further, let me outline an observation I see quite a bit. For some, they say phone book advertising works well while others say it doesn't. Some do very well with a web site while others don't. Almost any form of advertising can be either successful or useless. It's the marketing behind it that makes the difference.

As for the coffee mug method, it's advertising. It has a touch of branding, and reinforces the reach for everyone who receives one. The only real marketing is talking directly with potential customers when they are hand delivered. Every delivery offers the potential to get to know the customer and what is important for them. It's an opportunity to get inside their mind. Personally, I think pcplumber is thinking like a business person should.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Contractor hosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
We are currently purchasing 40,000 11 ounce coffee mugs from China for about 25 cents to 30 cents each.
I love this idea.

But I wonder how you are going to 'hand deliver' them. Usually people are not at home during the day.

You will have to revisit neighborhood multiple times to fully cover or you will have to do this on the weekends.

If you can't do the homes you can put them in businesses. Most people work downtown in office towers and commute to the suburbs. It would not take long to drop off 10 mugs to each office in a large tower.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunnt View Post
I love this idea.

But I wonder how you are going to 'hand deliver' them. Usually people are not at home during the day.

You will have to revisit neighborhood multiple times to fully cover or you will have to do this on the weekends.

If you can't do the homes you can put them in businesses. Most people work downtown in office towers and commute to the suburbs. It would not take long to drop off 10 mugs to each office in a large tower.
I have 12 people who are currently hand-delivering flyers. We will just leave the mugs on porches with an ink pen and a brochure.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

you must have a huge market, doesn't work that way in my neck of the woods.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Remodeler Extraordinare

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 510

So being these mugs are from China, will you be dispursing 40,000 lead laden mugs to unsuspecting people.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Good for you, is there an option to buy American mugs?

On my coffee giveaway, I give it when visiting, it just says WoW.
Nothing else.

Now my friend John (Cape Cod Bath) says I should do this at my next event.
Have a clam meal sent from Cape Cod for my raffle. I like that!

Last month I raffled a coffee pot with WoW coffee, but it was dumb because the show people got the credit and all I got to do was slip a business card into the coffee maker box, and I stapled one to the coffee bag.

Giving coffee is marketing, giving a calendar or mug is advertising. You have to do both.

Ever get a Social disease?
The person who gave you that, were they marketing or advertising?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 506

Pens, mugs, cheap lunch boxes, paper weights, coolie cups, key chains, etc... are all a waste of money and overdone IMHO.

On the other hand a good quality screen printed or embroidered t-shirt, polo shirt, cap or jacket have always done VERY well for us and folks are always asking if we have anymore to give away. Sponsoring a softball team also worked very well.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
Good for you, is there an option to buy American mugs?

On my coffee giveaway, I give it when visiting, it just says WoW.
Nothing else.

Now my friend John (Cape Cod Bath) says I should do this at my next event.
Have a clam meal sent from Cape Cod for my raffle. I like that!

Last month I raffled a coffee pot with WoW coffee, but it was dumb because the show people got the credit and all I got to do was slip a business card into the coffee maker box, and I stapled one to the coffee bag.

Giving coffee is marketing, giving a calendar or mug is advertising. You have to do both.

Ever get a Social disease?
The person who gave you that, were they marketing or advertising?
I read the negatives, but many contractors think about their personal dislikes. I don't like salesmen knocking on my door, but our knocking on doors has made us some money. It works! Many people don't drink coffee, and they may put the cup on their shelf until someone visits and wants a cup of coffee. I vision 300,000 homes that have my coffee mug for many years, even if they don't use the cup. Many relatives and even other contractors are going to see these cups. I see many neighbors telling each other that they also received a cup, and I see many relatives in different cities receiving and talking about the cups.

You would be very surprised to know how many businesses we go to and people are using our ink pens even though we did not deliver the pens directly to them.

Key chains are too small, they can cost as much as a coffee mug, they always break, and many people already have an abundance of key chains. I did coffee mugs about 30 years ago and they were very successful, but I did only a few hundred. Shirts are too expensive and they are more difficult to give to customers. Most of my customers are over 55 and don't wear tee shirts.

One advertising campaign we did that was very successful in the 1970's was we gave a Mr. Coffee Maker with every estimate for a copper repipe. That was when the repipe business was super hot and people were getting estimates. Today, there are less people getting estimates because most of the repipes are completed. I think! But, I don't know if they would work again for something else.

I give flavored coffee to some of the customers we do large jobs for. We buy 50 to 100 pounds of flavored coffee at a wholesales called Gavino (Gavina???) for about $4.75 per pound. We usually get decaffinated and people love the coffee. I bought a used $900 coffee grinder on Ebay for $300 and it is beautiful, but Gavina will grind the coffee, if preferred.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

No PC, no negative. I like mugs myself and my favorite mug is my Menards mug, the handle is shaped like a nail.

You do what works best, and you got a plan.

Now when I give out coffee its coffee I roasted and that's the point I make.
Here Mr PC, have a bag of coffee roasted by Silvertree, you won't ever have coffee this good again unless you roast it yourself.
I'm not giving coffee, I'm giving a quality gift, most people have never had this. Also I'm only giving it on a visit, your gonna give everyone a mug, so your advertising, I'm marketing.
I'm going for being different, your going as the plumber everyone should call.
Both things are good in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
Multi-tradesman defender

Trade: Handyman

"your gonna give everyone a mug, so your advertising, I'm marketing."

When I look at it like that, I actually see the difference of the advertising/marketing. I know we all have different markets and we all have different thoughts, what works one place may not work in another.

This is the beauty of this place, people can say "hey, this worked for me!", and you can decide to try it or not to.

http://www.yourhandymansite.com
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertree View Post
Now when I give out coffee its coffee I roasted and that's the point I make. Here Mr PC, have a bag of coffee roasted by Silvertree, you won't ever have coffee this good again unless you roast it yourself.
Thats pretty cool Paul - I have never known anyone that roasted their own coffee We thought that we were pretty high tech bringing back Blue Mountain beans from Jamaica and grinding them - but now I'll have to step it up a notch

Advertisement