My Website...did I Get Ripped Off? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

My Website...did I Get Ripped Off?

Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: glazier
Rewards Points: 10

My Website...did I Get Ripped Off?

I had my website done by a guy whose name I heard on this forum a lot. I paid 320 upfront to start working on it and 160 a month. The 160 includes maintenance and updating new photos and all that stuff, As far as SEO goes He is supposed to be doing that too but right now I can't find it anywhere.. Only times I have found it has been on like page 4, And I only found it there once.. I have to pay the 160 a month for eight months before I own all the content.here is site http://patriotglassmirror.com/ Please take a look at it let me know what you think if he did a good job

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 18

Re: My Website...did I Get Ripped Off?

IMO, seems a little plain & generic...

Check this guys stuff out....

https://www.contractortalk.com/f12/ha...-built-131746/

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
IMO, seems a little plain & generic...

Check this guys stuff out....

https://www.contractortalk.com/f12/ha...-built-131746/
Seeing his website and what he was paying is what Made me think mine wasn't up to par.Thats the reason I posted this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhet View Post
Seeing his website and what he was paying is what Made me think mine wasn't up to par.Thats the reason I posted this..
Your home page looks more like a gallery than a call to action. Contact Carl Sore (member here) He turned my site into a lead machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
MagicPoolSvcs (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg

Your home page looks more like a gallery than a call to action. Contact Carl Sore (member here) He turned my site into a lead machine.
I can't do anything for another 5 months when I will be finished with the 8 month contract.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,280

Quote:
I had my website done by a guy whose name I heard on this forum a lot. I paid 320 upfront to start working on it and 160 a month. The 160 includes maintenance and updating new photos and all that stuff, As far as SEO goes He is supposed to be doing that too but right now I can't find it anywhere.. Only times I have found it has been on like page 4, And I only found it there once.. I have to pay the 160 a month for eight months before I own all the content.here is site http://patriotglassmirror.com/ Please take a look at it let me know what you think if he did a good job
I think it looks fine. Little Boring but its nice. But you could have the best website on the planet and if you dont have any traffic going to it.. its pointless. So did you get ripped off? No I dont think so.. not on the $320 bucks, but yeah you're getting ripped off for 160 a month if there's no traffic.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
I think it looks fine. Little Boring but its nice. But you could have the best website on the planet and if you dont have any traffic going to it.. its pointless. So did you get ripped off? No I dont think so.. not on the $320 bucks, but yeah you're getting ripped off for 160 a month if there's no traffic.
Did you view the source of his pages? I'm not a web designer or anything like that nor am I a glass company but it looks like there's not much of anything as far as targeted key words in the coding of any of his pages. If that's the case, for recieving low amounts of traffic then what's the point...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post

Did you view the source of his pages? I'm not a web designer or anything like that nor am I a glass company but it looks like there's not much of anything as far as targeted key words in the coding of any of his pages. If that's the case, for recieving low amounts of traffic then what's the point...
No i didnt view the source.. that's all Chinese to me. I'm just saying there's a lot of content on there, a lot of pictures, and it's nicely organized. I think it took someone 320 dollars worth of time. And we make the same point about not getting traffic... that part is a rip off.

speaking of... If your web designer didn't hold up to his end of the bargain can't you cancel your contract? I mean that's ridiculous to pay 160 dollars a month just for updates.. I'm sure you didn't agree to that.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: electric
Rewards Points: 150

Did you get a tracking phone number on the site? You should pay more for the site build and less for the maint. Track your calls if you didnt gt a tracking number. Can you se your site traffic numbers?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhet

I can't do anything for another 5 months when I will be finished with the 8 month contract.
I disagree, we had a similar experience with Len. Contract is void able. My experience was he seemed more interested in his forum then his website customers. I do know that Chris Wright used Len and was happy with the results.
The Following User Says Thank You to wncbuilder For This Useful Post:
ModernStyle (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Deck Parts Retailer

Trade: deck builder
Rewards Points: 888

Quote:
Yea you can. You can quit paying. Tell him which way the wind blows and get some one else. Writing off 500 -700 can't be that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to killerdecks For This Useful Post:
ModernStyle (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

I think you got what you paid for. For a grand or so you will own the site, not bad. The site is clean- looks professional for a grand. Unfortunately it has no marketing built into it.

It can be saved but you would need to get a logo, a contact form on the right side and the gallerys on the bottom. Your home page needs about 500 more words on it. More use of headers. Your address is missing, your service locations need their own page with 500 words on each page. Your content should have bolded words as well as italics.

Your about us page needs to be more personal I think, have a pic of you and your dog on their, unless you are more corporate, but I dont think thats the case. Service areas on the about us page, not neccessary. A lot of people are using a google map right on the service area page. You should have a link going to your places page, google likes people to love them, they are so vain.

Interlinking is non existent.
No blog?
No social -shares, follows, likes?

That said if all the changes are made it will still be missing a lot of the design elements such as in a site like Tech Dawgs. Your site is just so far away from his it couldnt get there with your guy, there is nothing on your site to indicate that level of skill.

What on your desiners site compelled you to think he was the right guy? Seriously...

You have 2 options, keep it or get a new one. Keeping it will cost you more then buying a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (03-12-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
No i didnt view the source.. that's all Chinese to me. I'm just saying there's a lot of content on there, a lot of pictures, and it's nicely organized. I think it took someone 320 dollars worth of time. And we make the same point about not getting traffic... that part is a rip off.

speaking of... If your web designer didn't hold up to his end of the bargain can't you cancel your contract? I mean that's ridiculous to pay 160 dollars a month just for updates.. I'm sure you didn't agree to that.
I know what you're saying and understand. There is 2 sides to the story. For all we know (in Len's defense) That could be the base $320 package. If that's not the case, then I feel bad...

My guy went above and beyond. My site was an upfront fee of $1,500 and a full and detailed report of what was going to happen. The only thing that Carl couldn't live up to was my fault. There was supposed to be 5 youtube videos made but (like every contractor) I did not have enough good quality photos to submit so I ended up with one video but he more than made that up else where for me. My initial site was 32 pages.

This year, I signed up for a 6 month seo package. At the end of the 6 months we will talk about how things are going and I will decide if I want to continue for the remainder of the year or an additional month or two. That's what I like about him. There is no force to do a whole year contract and we speak once or twice a month over the phone. When we talk, it's actually a meaningful conversation. If I feel something is lacking then he has an immediate solution to offer.

Had I not went with at least 4 months on a $150 seo package then I would have paid $247 renewal fee for a year to be hosted on his server and that would've come with updates and whatever other geek crap he does. Because of the package, the renewal fee was waived. (I like choices) I preferred the monthly deal though because he also reorganized my site with a whole sectioned off menu for handicap accessibility and has been doing alot of other work on it too. I also volunteered to be a guinea pig for him so he tries out new widgets and what not (if they can reasonably fit to the site without screwing it up)

In addition to the package, Carl will front the money on $250 worth of paid listings. Next year, I will continue the Seo package but then pay the renewal fee to reimburse him for the paid listings. I think that a bunch of the paid listings that he will do, will absorb out of the monthly fee as well. He has a specific calculation for that and all I do is say "OK...thanks bud"
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Chief Reporter of Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
You have 2 options, keep it or get a new one. Keeping it will cost you more then buying a new one.
That about wraps up this thread...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
Bodger (03-08-2013), fjn (03-07-2013), JBM (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post

Yea you can. You can quit paying. Tell him which way the wind blows and get some one else. Writing off 500 -700 can't be that bad.
that's what I'm talking about. . Give him a HAIR FLIP when u walk off too.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
Tech Dawg (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
What you complaining about... you agreed and signed contract and you got banged up $1500. It's not to bad for what you got...

I don't know why you need maintenance (are they coming to cut your lawn or something or shovel snow?) If not there is nothing to maintain. If you want to change or update pictures... its easy to do , but you have to put your mind to it like anything else...there is plenty of info available.

When I was doing my page, the guy gave me a price and that was 20 years ago... I looked at him and said hit the road Jack...I figured if he can do it, I can do it and did it, 10 times better then the s^*t he was gonna do for me and it only cost me the Hosting, to park my name and a few hours a week.

It's like anything else, if you can't do it yourself, then you have to pay.

About your page IMO... To many links to many drop down menu's, people today don't have time to read all that...They want in and out, most will look at a few pictures, read about the company, grab a number and call you...

Most productive pages are Welcome page, About us, Service we provide, Portfolio, Testimonial and Contact page...

The rest is all BS and if you want to have additional information, make random links which open info in a new page, without leaving the page they're on... this way they read if they see something, close that page when done and they're back where they left off.

Since you strapped yourself into a contract, learn what you can and after the contract is up, take your domain and do everything yourself.

Good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

It's not bad. It's a simple website. Could use some more content, but it's a good start !
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicPoolSvcs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #18

Trade: Residential fence and deck sales and installation
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdecks View Post
So your suggestion is to rip off the company that he hired?

Unbelievable attitude coming from a contractor .. How would you like it if you built me a deck on monthly payments and after a few months I told you which way the wind blows?

He should have to pay the minimum agreed amount to "own the site". Even if technically he could get out of it, what kind of scumbag does that?

In terms of the OP's question, the other website you are comparing to may actually cost a lot more in the end, I am not sure if there's a minimum number of months applicable to that deal too.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 1,316

wow.... just wow

Now given alot of these sites look pretty awesome, I cant even begin to imagine dropping thousands of dollars on my website.

Infact, theres not a chance.

My 2 domains, the .com and .net of my site, plus hosting for 1 year is $92

1 terabyte of space, 1 TB of traffic per month, unlimited email, shopping cart cpanel, awstats, ect...

take mes about 30 min to add content to my site using frontpage and ws_ftp

My SEO? Also, done by me... all in all, over 3 years, i have maybe 60hrs invested. id rather invest that 60hrs and say look i made this, than have paid some guy $1000 for what i have now.

now your saying your dropped $1,000 for your website?

no... hell would freeze over or id be the only winner of $100 million dollar lottery ticket, before id pay that kinda money for a stupid website
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

1k isnt expensive for a website.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
ItsJon (03-09-2013), TNTRenovate (03-09-2013)