My .02 - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

My .02

Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Test, Test, Test

Trade: Marketing Professional
Rewards Points: 10
Arrow

My .02

No, I'm not going to tell you something about myself. My screen name says it all. I'll let my words do the talking. I will state that I have been helping contractors with marketing for over 30+ years.

I see sooooooooooo much bad information here, it makes me cringe knowing some of you who really need help might actually waste your precious time and money heeding someones advice who is Clueless about marketing. It's the "Blind leading the Blind" theory. Just because a competitor is doing something doesn't mean he is making money doing it. Some of you try to emulate or model what the "Big Boys" are doing, let me tell you, most of the so-called Big Boys have NO clue what they are doing and are failing themselves.

Always, always consider the SOURCE of who is providing the info.

First and foremost, the reason some of you are NOT doing well in your business has nothing to do with the state of the current economy. For years you rode the gravy train of easy credit, homeowners tapping their HEL's (Home Equity Loans) and the despicable underwriting that went on with Mortgage Loans. The market always corrects itself, very much like your body has an immune system to weed out a virus.

The "gravy train" has left the station, the old days are NEVER coming back. The reason many of you did well in the last ten years was because of easy money, not the quality of your work. Now you have no choice but to learn how to use "Effective Marketing"!

Many of you spend 80% of your time "working IN the business" when in fact you should spend 80% working "ON" your business.

Now is the ideal time to ramp UP your marketing efforts. Many contractors are going bankrupt and their customers are orphans, someone needs to get these customers back into the fold. Some of you are cutting back your marketing budgets, when in fact you should be INCREASING your budgets to gain Market share. Stop thinking like an employee and more like an astute businessman.

Large corporations love bad economies, it allows them to destroy their weak competitors, pick up market share, and raise prices. I know of one major CEO of a very large corporation who looked forward to a recession, he couldn't wait to gain market share in bad economies. This CEO is one of the most successful people on Wall St.

I see members here whining and complaining about how bad this economy is, the problem is not the bad economy but your "Bad Marketing". Some of you are now finding out that your marketing sucks, that word of mouth ain't cuttin it, and the glory days are over. Yet you do the same as always. The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If this is you, then you need to adapt and change, like Navy Seals are taught.

I see many contractors who are New Construction only, like the residential market. Concrete guys setting up boxes (foundations) now need to do Flat work (replace driveways, sidewalks, patios, etc...). Plumbers and HVAC firms need to adapt and get into Service orientated work. I've taken several plumbers in 2008 and transferred them 100% into Service only. Big paradigm shift for them, but they are IN business and doing very well. You need to do the same with your business if you fall into that model.

This is the "New Economy" and I suspect the next couple of years are going to get worse before it gets better. I told contractors in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 that the economy will not be getting better until past 2014 or later. Most simply blew me off and kept saying "things will pickup in Springtime, I'm not worried". Guess what, many of those contractors called me back in desperation needing help. They contacted me at the last minute, with 2 minutes left in the game. Don't wait until the 2 minute clock has sounded, it's too late to change the game plan.

These guys refused to ADAPT and make Changes to their business model. They kept thinking the glory days would return, even half of the old days would be fine. It didn't happen, and many of them lost everything including their business, assets, and family. Many today are divorced because their wives couldn't take it any longer. I've seen the strongest marriages crash in these last couple of years. The saddest part is the children. The children suffer the most from a divorce, not the parents. Don't let this happen to YOU!

All marketing works, including the crappy Yellow Pages. You need to Track, Test, and Measure your results. See what works best for your business. The YP sucks in most areas, but if I'm targeting Senior citizens who don't use the Internet and I'm in Arizona or Florida your damn right the Yellow Pages works. I would be ramping up my YP ad with great copy and spend budget.

I see this question all the time, "what should my budget be"? Hello, if you were getting a Return on your Investment from every media, you would use all of them and spend as much money as possible. Right? If every $20 dollars invested brought me back $100, wouldn't I continue to do so? I hope you're saying YES.

I know many of you have limited dollars for marketing, so use what's most effective in terms of R.O.I. (Return On Investment).

Some of you don't realize that some of these marketing efforts cost NO money, how bout dat?

I have seen increases in revenue jump 50% in less than 60 days with no dollars spent on advertising or marketing efforts. Yes, in today's economy. Some of you may not believe this simply because this concept is outside your beliefs, you need to make a paradigm shift in your thoughts.

For many of you success is a heartbeat away, making some small changes can increase revenue and profits TODAY.

A clogged toilet doesn't know the state of the economy, neither does a broken furnace. Today, many homeowners are realizing they may be stuck in their home for 5 or more years. Many are upgrading Kitchens and Baths, go where the money is at. Many seniors need to adapt their bathrooms to be compliant with their daily needs, this market is exploding. Many Home Health Care services who provide in home health care for seniors are now Requiring "bathrooms" to be ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant. They will not risk a workmens compensation claim from an employee because they have to lift a 200+ pound man into a bath tub.

There is plenty of work out there in the right Niches, you need to adapt.

I will help answer questions if you want my advice. I will create a post for FAQ's just below this post. I am not available for hire, nor will I give you my contact information.

I will do my best to answer questions here for all to benefit.

Wishing you the best,

ME (Marketing Expert)

P.S. There are some very good experts here in their own niche, like web marketing, SEO, etc... Heed their advice and quit acting like you are the expert. I don't pretend to be a plumber, electrician, etc... I would NEVER give advice on your trade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarketingExpert For This Useful Post:
bfitz (03-14-2011), KennMacMoragh (03-15-2011), tinner666 (03-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Test, Test, Test

Re: My .02

Reserved for FAQ's.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Trade: professional contractor

wow gotta admitt i completely lost intrest in what you were saying, that being said im glad your the best in your niche and im sorry i fell asleep reading it
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frinkbc For This Useful Post:
CookeCarpentry (03-14-2011), Dirtywhiteboy (03-14-2011), J F (03-14-2011), JumboJack (03-14-2011), mudpad (03-14-2011), Ragebhardt (03-14-2011), Santa's Helpers (03-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Test, Test, Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkbc View Post
wow gotta admitt i completely lost intrest in what you were saying, that being said im glad your the best in your niche and im sorry i fell asleep reading it
There's an old saying about long copy. Those who are interested will read every word, those who aren't, won't.

This is part of the filtering/weeding out process.

This isn't for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarketingExpert For This Useful Post:
BPWY (03-23-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Rewards Points: 500

While most of what you stated above is a blooming reality in this economy, your presentation is profoundly uncalled for and not an effective marketing ploy.

Fact, you don't win marketing contracts by insulting your potential clients.

Imagine that, and I am only a 1st year Marketing student.
The Following User Says Thank You to wizendwizard For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

How did you develop this inferiority complex and why did you come here to feed your ego?

I'll consider myself "weeded out"
Dirtywhiteboy (03-14-2011), JumboJack (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingExpert View Post
There's an old saying about long copy. Those who are interested will read every word, those who aren't, won't.

This is part of the filtering/weeding out process.

This isn't for you.
Interesting take...yell upstairs to mom, and ask what to do next.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
Interesting take...yell upstairs to mom, and ask what to do next.

Hey Ma, can we get some meatloaf?

Ma!!! How about some meat loaf.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
J F (03-14-2011), Mike's Plumbing (03-14-2011), mudpad (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: ooo

Man, is it Monday already?

Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 950

Marketing Expert-Please check your private messages.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Blablablablabla....
Those who can,do...Those can't do try and tell others what they're doing wrong...Or something like that.
mudpad (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Pro

Don't close it yet Ron...pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
JumboJack (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:

Yea, let the man defend himself!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 950

Quote:
No worries-----YET.
J F (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: ooo

My favorite part is the first sentence.

I guess you wont be doing any introductions then hey?

Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,485

Quote:
No, I'm not going to tell you something about myself. My screen name says it all.
That would have been a better Thread title. IMHO.

-Paul

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 90,000 Subscribers and over 13,000,000 views
My Latest Video: https://youtu.be/E23Y-fw4KCM
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Instagram YouTube
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

I'm going to bed. Don't close it before tomorrow.
Maybe some BS. Maybe some hype. BUT, there is a lot of truth in his message. Jay and I have spoke on occasion and I believe he will see what I see and maybe mentioned to him. ( Unless I have the wrong Jay! )
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Pro

I'm the right Jay.

I'll be his huckleberry.
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
tinner666 (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,002

I agree with a lot of it too, but there isn't anything there that hasn't been said here before. Therefore I call troll. This is a good marketing forum IMHO, but I'm just a roofer.

Advertisement

Tags
advertising , advice , marketing