Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
El Conquistador

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 166
More Angie's List Shenanigans

More Angie's List Shenanigans -
Got this email from Angie's List today:
Hello!

We have introduced an exciting new initiative that is opening up the flood gates of Angie’s List business of both members and non-members alike!

What you need to know: SnapFix is our new application feature, and we just introduced a multi-million dollar nationwide advertising campaign to introduce it. With SnapFix, the hassle-free way to hire, we'll coordinate a highly-rated provider such as yourself to respond to a photo of a job needed done. However, only our advertisers will have the opportunity respond to these instant jobs.

Watch our latest comerical to find out more: https://youtu.be/PHdYez5FyVI

As you can see, this is an absolute game changer! Now everyone in your community can utilize Angie’s List to hire a highly rated service provider like you.

Here’s how it works: Once the request is received through the app, we then send the photo of the job to our currently advertising companies to offer you the business. Additionally, we will be rewarding any non-Angie’s List members who utilize the SnapFix feature on the app a free one-year membership -- which will increase the numbers of members you are exposed to as an advertiser.

What you need to do: I would like to talk to you further and explain how this change is going to effect you as a service provider. My schedule is filling up due to high demand, so please get in touch soon with some dates and times that you are free to schedule a 15-20 minute discussion.

They really need to drop the "no company can pay to be on Angie's List" routine.
So their threat is: If you don't buy their advertising service, you'll not get these "picture" leads. Oh NOs!
I can see some d___ weed taking a picture of a light fixture that doesn't work: "Uh yeah, how much to fix this?".
I'm really thinking I need to pay a lot less attention to the lead "generation" companies.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,472

Re: More Angie's List Shenanigans

I got that email too, waiting for picture of peoples wifes before I sign up.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Keeyter (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

I saw the commercial. If i were a girl, she's the first person I would fight. She gets on my nerves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 521

Their schedule is filling up, better hurry make the call!:
Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
this change is going to effect you as a service provider.
"effect" should be "affect". Seems like they need proofreaders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GettingBy For This Useful Post:
dprimc (06-15-2015), nunya01 (03-31-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 828

ok saw the angies list commercial last night, all you have to do is take a photo of the job and send it to angie and she will get a contractor on it right now, if you look closely at the end of the commercial it shows the web page where you put your info in and magically get a price

it says 2 hrs of handyman time $79.00

ok angie and the rest of you scum suckers

that works out to:

2 hrs at $79.00

15% goes to angie = $12.00 (my guess)

now we are at $33.50 an hr

my overhead is $7.70 per man hr not including............

we are now at $25.80

then I need to figure in my time, office time, etc that I will put into the job, maybe only .5 hr, unless I do a site visit the I'm putting even more time in, so the least I can charge is $25.00 for my time

so I just worked for free and I sent my cheapest guy out and he costs me $25.00 an hr plus he wants to get paid to travel

suddenly the math does not work

sounds like a deal!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fast fred For This Useful Post:
nunya01 (04-06-2015), tjdrake (05-28-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
El Conquistador

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 166

Here's the latest line of B.S. (threat) from Angie's List:

Important Changes to Your Angie’s List Exposure
We have been trying to reach you, since we can only reach out to less than 10% of companies in your market who are eligible for this opportunity. We have made some changes to the way your profile will be seen by Angie’s List members. We are moving in a new direction that rewards the companies that participate with us on some level. Please keep in mind, that Angie’s List is the only medium in existence where members actually pay us to see advertising.
For now, when a member searches in your category, the advertisers in your category (your competitors) will be seen first, followed by up to 17 randomly selected companies on the page. (Remember searches are based on the member’s IP address and their proximity to your business.) The option to see more service providers beyond the advertisers and the lucky few who randomly place on page one is not as obvious as it used to be. We have set it up so that our advertisers -- companies that are vetted, with a background check on file and a minimum 2 or more A or B rated reviews can take the wave of business being sent to us.
Right now when someone searches a category but does not click on a particular company, we email them a listing of all the top selling services from companies in that category that are participating in Storefront: our form of “buy-it-now” e-commerce deals.
If they click on your profile, the next day, we will email that member the top selling services of your competition who are offering these types of deals.
I want to offer you the chance to become one of these competitive companies before our inventory is gone and opportunity has passed. Again, my aim is not to pressure you, but to make you aware of our new business model and how to become successful within it.

What a bunch of snakes. Pay us, or else.

Last edited by nunya01; 04-06-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Emphasis
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nunya01 For This Useful Post:
GettingBy (04-07-2015), tjdrake (05-28-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

My mortgage company also threatens me, and then asks me to call a number if I have any questions.
They want someone in their company to talk to you directly so that they can learn your objections and overcome them.

Demonstrating competence in these matters, as you have done, will make them
-suspicious?
-alter their techniques when dealing with you?
-wonder why you are even messing with them, if you have enough customers?

If you ask them if they are threatening you, or if you ask them if a 'reasonable person' would regard their message as a threat, they will probably respond with gibberish or legalese.

You might ask them if they are playing one contractor against another. That should be interesting.

BTW,
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya01 View Post
I want to offer you
is not the same as

I am offering you

I had a husband/wife team who wanted me to work for them and were crooks down to their bone marrow.

First they wanted me to wire up a church without me being an electrician. When I objected they said they never meant me to do that.

Then they wanted me to start work with no employment agreement in place.

When I asked them to make an offer, they said We'd like to offer you. . ."

I told them I would sit this one out.
I was going to report them to the Home Improvement Commission but that probably would have been a further waste of my time.

Last edited by GettingBy; 04-07-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I signed up for Angies list and they wanted two reviews to get any rating. I called up and asked how you get reviews when you aren't rated and won't show up anywhere near the top as most of the companies listed were from out of the area and were farming it out. So the review is from the company farming it out but not the guy that shows up. That makes sense.

The guy goes on to say I can go back to my customers and get a review from them, BUT it has to be on their paperwork, all by hand (even my elderly customers use a computer) AND it has a coupon for joining Angies list (so they can find a bunch more competitors).

This on top of the guy was the rudest, most arrogance sales douche I've ever talked to and that's saying something. They can go pound sand, I refuse to deal with people like that.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Seamless Gutters
Rewards Points: 106

What a joke. Haven't used them myself but know a lot of people that have and I have not heard very many good things...
Old 04-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,726

Joined Angies 9 months ago after being completely anti everything for years and years. They finally broke me after 90 messages. Last week alone i did $7000 worth of work (two jobs) from angies leads. I pay less than $200 a month. It works well for my type of business.
It started out slow but its working out well. Should have considered years ago. Im still mostly hands on so i build a bit of a relationship with all my customers which turn into nice reviews.

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 04-15-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #12

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 61

Angies List is currently getting sued for Fraud.. They have never turned a profit in 17 years. I am not sure they are going to be around much longer !
Old 04-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermey View Post
Angies List is currently getting sued for Fraud.. They have never turned a profit in 17 years. I am not sure they are going to be around much longer !
I think Angie ate it all as a tax write off.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I think Angie ate it all as a tax write off.

To be fair Amazon has never turned a profit either. Just sayin
Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
To be fair Amazon has never turned a profit either. Just sayin
I believe Angies operates in the neg, but Amazon reinvests back into the company.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
This space for lease

If Angie's List isn't operating at an obscene profit I'd like to know where the money is going. They have a website and drones to man the phones, charge for access to a list they others provide and update.

They do flood the TV with ads but still, they aren't producing parts for the space station.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #17

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
If Angie's List isn't operating at an obscene profit I'd like to know where the money is going. They have a website and drones to man the phones, charge for access to a list they others provide and update.

They do flood the TV with ads but still, they aren't producing parts for the space station.
I wonder if the middle management is upset with their out going President Bill Oesterlie-Co Founder and CEO. He sold off much of his stock after it was declining to $8 a share (was $50+ a share), try's to get a Gov. bailout in Indianapolis to revitalize an old Ford Motor Co. building bring in 1800 new jobs, When He figures out that the city of Indianopolis is NOT going to hand over that $18 million with out some checks and balances, he bails out and uses the Religious Freedom act as an excuse. Then he quits as their CEO.. All while not turning a profit. They spend $90 in advertising spend just to get a consumer to join for $20 for the year. Thus they have to charge an insane amount for advertising..
They spend it on TV ads, Radio ads on every Right Wing Radio station in the country, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Sponsor Race Cars and Indy Car races... They have a booth at every Home and Garden show in the country handing out FREE Angies List Memberships..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vermey For This Useful Post:
Creter (04-27-2015), RangoWA (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Trade: Custom Home Building, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 128

I would have never thought they're in the negative. I sure as hell pay them enough.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #19
This space for lease

In my 30 years of business these people take the cake. I added my profile about three years ago but found they wouldn't accept my reviews. I called up and the guy said only their customers can leave a review. But wait, how do I get a call from their customer without a review? Well, I go back to my customers and get them to join Angie's list.

I thought he was joking, but nope. So I'm supposed to be their sales boy and find a bunch more contacts for my customers for a review? The guy I spoke to was the most insulting rudest guy I had spoken to, ever. So I said the heck with that and didn't go to their site or have any dealings with them since.

Until yesterday. I got a call from them and the guy said they wanted to get me some reviews since I still had none. I explained my previous understanding of their policy and unwillingness to hand over my customer phone numbers and contacts but he said there were two other options they now do so a non customer can leave a review. He would email me the links.

After a few questions his story started to make less sense. After a few more pointed questions he said they could post a review but only a Angie's List customer's review would show up. Huh?

I asked how this was any different in reality and he said it was too involved for his level and he really didn't know. Huh?

The bottom line is he was obviously lying to get me to hand over some customer contacts so they could try to get them to join up. I guess Angie needs a bigger yacht. This is the scummiest business I have dealt with in a long time. How pathetic.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Creter (05-21-2015), festerized (05-21-2015), kwunch (05-23-2015), nunya01 (06-24-2015), SolarProMD (08-21-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 38

Sure it's free to be on Angie's List, but no one will ever find you unless you pay. I refuse to pay anyone for leads. One guy want me to pay to be on his vendor list and pay a percentage of every job he got me. He expected me to turn over all my accounting to show my earnings. Hell no. I do just fine without paying for leads.

Advertisement