Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Marketing with Mobile Apps

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  coolflatroof 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for some time and took some first steps - created couple of apps. Downloads are pretty spectacular, but I still don't see much benefit form it (now this is not the paid app in my signature - the app I'm talking about is free).

But here is what I still want to figure out:

How to use apps effectively for Construction Marketing?

No here is what I noticed - most contractors who make apps, barely get any downloads (usually under 100, as reported in Android Market - I think in App Store results are similar) - and frankly their apps are garbage, and no one wants or needs these apps. Essentially most of them are something like a small "about us" thing - thus have no value for potential clients.

I was considering building something useful - something that would help clients with something and therefore motivate them to contact you.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Another thing - how can apps help with SEO. I did not see much effect in this department either ... but maybe I am doing something wrong - or not doing that something at all.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've created an app for my business, but haven't published it yet.

The draw, I hope, will be updates for a page that contains useful information and helpful hints the average homeowner can rely on.

#6 · (Edited)
@ ohiohomedoctor

are you looking for a developer or it's just an idea?

@ Oconomowoc

i'm not sure i understand your 1st question...

as for school events app - sure you can do it... someone would need to compile and "push" this list... and keep it up to date ... but i don't see how you can merge it with a construction company... and it's also difficult to market such app

some ppl from two states away will download it - it will not work for them, and they will give you 1 star and crappy review .. and boom - app sinks to the bottom of the list and you just wasted a bunch of $$$ and time

back to your 1st question:

the app for construction company must be free ... or no one will download it ... as far ideas that did work - I actually don't know, but it's a good question ...

it is also a metter of how you judge the success of an app

downloads? i don't think so - my free apps were downloaded many times ... but I had not seen (yet) much out of that

in part because many downloads came from outside my service area ... i did get a few estimate requests through it ... but really nothing spectacular ..

bottom line - the app must provide some sort of benefit to end user, and must be awesome ... like i said in 1st post - there are too many useless "business card" type apps already - and they don't work

so the question stands - what should the app do, to help with the "marketing"

#7 ·
I think we're sitting right on top of the equation. Contractor Talk is I'm guessing the largest community for contractors. Why not have one large directory app for members to submit their info so people can download it and find contractors/deals in their area. I think it would be more beneficial for people to download and find someone in their area as opposed to downloading a single companies app, look for a deal, find nothing exciting and erase it...
Just a thought.

#11 · (Edited)
coolflatroof said:
@ ohiohomedoctor

are you looking for a developer or it's just an idea?

@ Oconomowoc

i'm not sure i understand your 1st question...

as for school events app - sure you can do it... someone would need to compile and "push" this list... and keep it up to date ... but i don't see how you can merge it with a construction company... and it's also difficult to market such app

some ppl from two states away will download it - it will not work for them, and they will give you 1 star and crappy review .. and boom - app sinks to the bottom of the list and you just wasted a bunch of $$$ and time

back to your 1st question:

the app for construction company must be free ... or no one will download it ... as far ideas that did work - I actually don't know, but it's a good question ...

it is also a metter of how you judge the success of an app

downloads? i don't think so - my free apps were downloaded many times ... but I had not seen (yet) much out of that

in part because many downloads came from outside my service area ... i did get a few estimate requests through it ... but really nothing spectacular ..

bottom line - the app must provide some sort of benefit to end user, and must be awesome ... like i said in 1st post - there are too many useless "business card" type apps already - and they don't work

so the question stands - what should the app do, to help with the "marketing"
I could be wrong but an app on a local level would get you local business, I don't plumb out of state.

So my thoughts are doing something where parents in a certain locality would find is useful and just have your logo on the app.

I don't know, I'm new to this I could be way off base. I get my business from other sources so I'd have to study up on this.

#13 ·
Are there any success stories for using apps to market/advertise construction business? To be honest, I think a better strategy would be to advertise with already successful apps which meet your target demographic rather than creating a mobile app from scratch. Wondering if anyone has tried that and what the results are like?

Also, I totally agree with the local problem. I think Facebook does a good job at attempting to solve that. You could run page post ads on Facebook that go in the mobile newsfeed only. You can target using locality, age, gender, etc. For example, I could target all Parents in Toronto who are aged 35+. The only prerequisite to that is having a Facebook page.

#14 ·
We created an app for ipad. And like you said, we created something useful. We specialize in decorative driveways; so the app actually allows users to customize a driveway with the patterns and colors we offer. the option to print is also available. the added benefit of this app is that we bring it to estimates and appointments. We give it to the home owner while we are measuring, so it allows them to play around with different options while we do the "boring" stuff. The app is also free.

#15 ·
Mr. Driveway - That sounds like a very useful app. I had an idea for one selling doors and windows where you take and iPad or mobile phone, take a photo of the front of the house using the app and then super-impose and image of the door/windows over the image so the customer can see what the new door would look like on their home. This could work for siding, fencing, and a bunch of other areas as well.

#17 ·
I love all things tech but I think there are too many people that make apps simply because they can and never have a real game plan in place. This sounds like one of those times.

However... there may be a few exceptions and building but we are talking about a 30k investment at a minimum since a database will be needed.

For most contractors, the project is finished and that is it. If you are a builder or someone who is on a project for a long time and the clients are not around, them being able to check in an few the status may be a good idea. But if you average job is only a few weeks and the homeowner is there and see's you once a week, what is the point?

When apps first came out, people downloaded them just because. Now, we are more conservative even with free apps.

Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.