Marketing Materials - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Marketing Materials

Old 08-01-2019, 11:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,782

Marketing Materials

Hey Guy,

Iím have been pushing brand recognition this last year with good results. It started with always wearing my logo when doing any work and then I did some advertising on shopping carts at one of the grocery stores in town.

Itís been working really well and I want to keep the momentum going and also make my contact talk more professional.

I thought it would be a good idea to get some presentation folders made with my logo and information on them to give to each customer with there contract.

I was also consider getting some rubber key tags made to use on all the keys homeowners give me for access. They would fit in a standard lock box and have the added benefit of trades not having a loose key to use.

Wanted to see if everyone though that those would be good ideas. They both come it an $2 per so $4 a job if I use both. Not a lot to spend but I donít want to get something that is going to end up in the trash.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Marketing Materials

No one??

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 570

Who is your ideal customer? What's their income? What do they do for fun? What are the most important things they want to fix with their home?

I'd be investing my marketing dollars into a great website first. Your current website is selling tickets to a band called Unicorn Tears, lol... If I was a customer, you completely lost me there.

Keytags, and other promotional knick knacks are hope marketing... You hope it works. The Interwebs is where customers are actively looking for a contractors services, if they don't find you, they find your competition.

Good Luck!

Carl
Dirtywhiteboy (08-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,574

sponsor a men's, women's or coed softball team.

was a lot of fun...and gave me a good size list of potential employees.

sponsor kids softball, t-ball, soccer teams.

get involved with service groups, elks, chamber of commerce, etc, and participate in bbq's etc....

it is a very good way to meet influential people.

get out and talk to other contractors. you may see them as your competition but other options have worked out well...

volunteer a little at the senior center. minor repairs, install deadbolts etc. small investment in time that can reap great rewards...

presentation folders are a great idea.

stationary/letterheads to print letters, sow etc...

t-shirts & hats are a good move also...

join your local builders exchange/plan room...

neighborhood/block party/bbq...i did a lot of this, for fun, didn't care about getting work out of it...

just get out and meet people without making it a sales presentation...

good luck...
Rio (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 19,714

I find my best business move has been networking with others. Especially other deck builders. My position has always been, 'there's plenty of work for all of us'. A couple of my good friends, I met at a Trex Platinum summit. It's the main reason I go to them. Catch up on info. They are (imo) some of the best deck builders in the country.

Mike.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
Who is your ideal customer? What's their income? What do they do for fun? What are the most important things they want to fix with their home?

I'd be investing my marketing dollars into a great website first. Your current website is selling tickets to a band called Unicorn Tears, lol... If I was a customer, you completely lost me there.

Keytags, and other promotional knick knacks are hope marketing... You hope it works. The Interwebs is where customers are actively looking for a contractors services, if they don't find you, they find your competition.

Good Luck!

Carl

Apparently when you update your signature on tapa talk it doesnít make a difference. Iíve had a real website for a few years that that brings in a lot of business for me. About 80%.

My idea customer is mid thirties early forties with kids. Mid to higher income and have realized that trying to renovate there house on there own is a bed idea

My website is builddaley.com
Old 08-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
sponsor a men's, women's or coed softball team.

was a lot of fun...and gave me a good size list of potential employees.

sponsor kids softball, t-ball, soccer teams.

get involved with service groups, elks, chamber of commerce, etc, and participate in bbq's etc....

it is a very good way to meet influential people.

get out and talk to other contractors. you may see them as your competition but other options have worked out well...

volunteer a little at the senior center. minor repairs, install deadbolts etc. small investment in time that can reap great rewards...

presentation folders are a great idea.

stationary/letterheads to print letters, sow etc...

t-shirts & hats are a good move also...

join your local builders exchange/plan room...

neighborhood/block party/bbq...i did a lot of this, for fun, didn't care about getting work out of it...

just get out and meet people without making it a sales presentation...

good luck...

Not much sponsorship sports around here that the big oil and gas companies havenít takes away.

I am very big in being friendly with the composition. It has served me well and I am constantly giving out other people names for projects that either I donít have the time for or I am not interested in.
griz (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
Hey Guy,

Iím have been pushing brand recognition this last year with good results. It started with always wearing my logo when doing any work and then I did some advertising on shopping carts at one of the grocery stores in town.

Itís been working really well and I want to keep the momentum going and also make my contact talk more professional.

I thought it would be a good idea to get some presentation folders made with my logo and information on them to give to each customer with there contract.

I was also consider getting some rubber key tags made to use on all the keys homeowners give me for access. They would fit in a standard lock box and have the added benefit of trades not having a loose key to use.

Wanted to see if everyone though that those would be good ideas. They both come it an $2 per so $4 a job if I use both. Not a lot to spend but I donít want to get something that is going to end up in the trash.

Thanks
That's not something you control... things have different value to different people, but keep in mind before it even ends up in the trash, it's already done the job you're after... putting your name in front of them...

Just be careful not to get too caught up the gimmicks... starts to associate you with certain types of businesses that you may not necessarily want your name associated with...
Old 08-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Carpenter View Post
Apparently when you update your signature on tapa talk it doesnít make a difference.

My website is builddaley.com
Fixed it for you.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Stunt Carpenter (08-03-2019)