Made Our First Vinyl For The Back Windows..... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Made Our First Vinyl For The Back Windows.....

Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 488

Made Our First Vinyl For The Back Windows.....

I just couldnt swing the $1200 for a graphic designer to create a logo for us, neither could I spend the $1500 for a sign shop to do all of the vinyls I want/need (really just a want, but I tell the wife we "NEED" them...lol)

so we did our own logo, ordered up a mid grade cutter/plotter (about $1200) and can now cut out our own lettering/graphics....

just to try it out, did our back windows of my truck and my wifes yukon....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 98crewcab For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (11-18-2014), CarpenterSFO (09-26-2014), chris klee (09-25-2014), griz (09-26-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Re: Made Our First Vinyl For The Back Windows.....

Looks good. But talk about the end justifying the means!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 256

Start taking orders..... you will pay for that machine and your hands will love the break from hard labor!
The Following User Says Thank You to BACKWOODS For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (09-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Looks very nice.I may have to consider that myself.The local guy wanted around $800 to put my logo on 2 sides and the back of my new trailer and I went pretty small to get that price.
Would you mind telling me the equipment you bought?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Pro

Thanks guys, and not at all....

http://www.uscutter.com/ is where we did our research. Great forum, and tons willing to help (much like here, but without all of the sarcasm...lol)

http://www.uscutter.com/TITAN-Vinyl-Cutter-28-53-inch and we bought the Titan 2 28" model. was just a bit more than the titan1, but it comes with servo motors instead and over all reliability seemed better.

Trick we found was that if you click to order the Titan 1, then choose the servo upgrade, you get the Titan 2 discounted a little. lol, a flaw in their own site....

here is the link to the titan 1, go to model and choose titan 2 servo motor in the size you want.

And it came with sure cuts alot pro, was different from any other program we used, but alot of support on you tube, and the forum members are more than willing to help with vectorizing images, etc...

Last edited by 98crewcab; 09-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 98crewcab For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (09-30-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Pro

If you do go this route, their Oracal 951 premium vinyls are what most are using for outside durability, even here in the California sunshine, lol

We just kinda dove right in, And as usual, when learning something new, i turn into a sponge, become obsessed, and research research research, so if you have any questions, if I dont know the answer, I will find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to 98crewcab For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-26-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98crewcab View Post
Thanks guys, and not at all....

http://www.uscutter.com/ is where we did our research. Great forum, and tons willing to help (much like here, but without all of the sarcasm...lol)
/sarcasm on/
Well dog, you'd get a much better response if you started your own thread, documenting your whole sign making journery. I'm getting tidbits of info from each little turd your drop on other threads you've hijacked, and I'm already tired of trying to find where you said/posted what.
/sarcasm off/

Seriously #1: I'm grateful you put up the information on the signmaking stuff. Learned a lot.
Seriously #2: I'm impressed with both your signs - the B&W "preview" and the final full color one.
Seriously #3: "journery is a new word - I just invented it.

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 10-10-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: speelink errohhs
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98crewcab View Post
If you do go this route, their Oracal 951 premium vinyls are what most are using for outside durability, even here in the California sunshine, lol

We just kinda dove right in, And as usual, when learning something new, i turn into a sponge, become obsessed, and research research research, so if you have any questions, if I dont know the answer, I will find out!
3M cast is the standard. Maybe a bit more but I never had a failure with it. I never liked Oracal myself. Get a small amount of 3M sometime and stretch the two and see if they are the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
98crewcab (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Pro

Thanks for the info, there is a local shop here that sold me some 3M, with the clear backing, that I will play with tomorrow😉
Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: .
Rewards Points: 324

$1200??? If I spent $1200 I would be looking to vinyl every darn thing in sight!

I've got a Silhouette cameo that was bought for crafts that has now become property of the business. We've only got two vehicles so this works. If I had a fleet then I'd spring for a Graphtec. I also make all of our shirts using vinyl and a heatpress and a bunch of other stuff. Finally all of my crafting became useful. I use 751 because the odds of us keeping the same truck or the same graphics for more than a decade is rather slim. I get all my stuff from US cutters too, very affordable and with fast shipping. They've got great customer service, you just tell them what you're using it for and they tell you what to get.

You did an excellent job by the way!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Pro

Thanks, we also did the truck and trailer...here are a couple, will get the trailer pics uploaded soon....Those guys ended up about 9' long, lol

Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Pro

found them....and trust me, we have been using the hell out of it, lol. Almost another business lately. Have several sets of vinyls that we need to get started on for a couple guys on here just been too busy working to get on them. We do alot of the wall sayings for customers, have popped out a few back window decals for others.....getting it's use for sure

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 98crewcab For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (11-18-2014), Jeremiah2911 (11-15-2014), TxElectrician (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 682

Looks great
Old 11-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Very nice. Do you ship?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
Pro

I'd ship them. Just been too busy lately to do them. We barely charge for them, materials+shipping+a couple bucks for a good dinner that night with the wife. But with that price, comes the fact that it will have to be when I have time to do them. Construction is still our first priority. This winter may free up some time to get caught up with the vinyl stuff.....
Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 791

Very cool! I have been looking into getting a plotter myself for the same reason, also that I have a background in graphic design/printing.

Good looking work! I was looking at plotters from US Cutter as well.

Would be also good for off season work for me here!

I buy tools. Not brands.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Working Hard & Smart

Trade: Commercial Property Maintenance & a Sign Shop
Rewards Points: 86

Not bad for your first job. I would recommend a much thicker contour around that chrome. It's not too legible even at that distance. Also punch a .5" - .75" contour (from the outside contour of your lettering) out of that saw blade. Thicken (make taller) and lower those two underlines as well. Convert all notes to curves. Radius them all to .015". This will help against those sharp corners peeling first which adds to longevity. Please don't take my advice the wrong way. Just trying to help. A Masters in Fine Arts helps with that.

My other business is a sign shop. I know the Titan, Titan 2, and the new Titan 3 as well. Not bad machines for the money. They got a lot of down force. I also know SCAP software well. The Titan 3 comes with the new software (supposed to be a lot better for contour cutting) and has vacuum.

With that being said...I use a Roland XC-540 and a RS Laminator. Just sold a Graphtec FC-8000, USCutter SC, and I got a Roland GX-24 on ebay right now that ends tonight.

I do truck lettering, logo design, vehicle wraps, and much more all the time.

Yes...cast is the way to go for a lot of things but intermediate has it's place too. If you want to see my shop, just search 518 Wraps Shop on youtube. We've moved some things around a bit, so it's different now.

Are you using SCAP for all of your designing? If so, I would look into getting CorelDraw. It's addicting. If you need any help, hit me up. My number is on my site (just google 518 Wraps).

Most people don't need the optical eye to just do cut vinyl. That's just for contour (cut line around or just inside a shape or image) cutting. You can get a 34" (30") SC-Series from US Cutter for under $400 delivered to your door.

Having an eye for design is a must to be successful. And never undersell your work. I get paid for my design time.

Here is a new logo I just made for Clifton Park Landscape. He wanted the shape to become known...and it will.
Attached Thumbnails
Made our first vinyl for the back windows.....-20141114_135246.jpg  

Last edited by ProTek; 11-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
Working Hard & Smart

Trade: Commercial Property Maintenance & a Sign Shop
Rewards Points: 86

Wall graphics at the shop (all on sheet rock)...modifieds.....no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Made our first vinyl for the back windows.....-20141114_135151.jpg   Made our first vinyl for the back windows.....-20141114_135215.jpg   Made our first vinyl for the back windows.....-20141003_145426.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by ProTek; 11-18-2014 at 02:34 PM.