Location, Location, Location! - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Location, Location, Location!

Old 06-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 8

Location, Location, Location!

So I operate a replacement window/siding/doors business. Im about 2 years in and we are on pace to gross about 450k this year. Not too bad but I did think we would be doing better by now. I am doing the usual internet advertising, google SEO, Adwords, Facebook Advertising and some print advertising in local coupon books. I want to step it up.

My question is there is a small building that is for sale on a very high traffic intersection near my current office. The traffic count is 10K cars per day. I can afford to buy the building but it is a sizeable chunk of money down and monthly. Would this increase my business substantially? I would put up large signs and have the whole side of the building painted with our logo and slogans.

Opinions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnycomp View Post
I would put up large signs and have the whole side of the building painted with our logo and slogans.

Opinions?
Check with the city regulations on signage.

Having a location will always make you more legit. Being able to say to a customer that you own the building vs leasing it would be a confidence builder for a long term commitment.

Is parking an issue?

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 426

what kind of roi you think you will achieve after feeding that chunk of real estate....

volume ain't the answer to everything....

how about ultra high quality and be selective of your clients...
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
what kind of roi you think you will achieve after feeding that chunk of real estate....

Not how I would focus on growing. If the shop space is equal in every other way but costs 10% more than maybe. If it's less convenient and or a lot more expensive, its not worth it. If you get to many locked in monthly payments, you are one down turn away from disaster. 2008 proved that. Many didn't make it. Keep it lean and grow organically. You will have that spot when and if it fits your business and you can afford it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
tman78 (08-13-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,354

If it's strictly a showroom I can't see it paying for itself unless you need the space for office staff anyway. I think the concept of a brick and mortar showroom is going the way of the dodo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
concretemasonry (06-29-2018), flashheatingand (08-01-2018), tman78 (08-13-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 8

Appreciate all the feedback. It would definitely cost a lot more than what Im paying now for my office/storage space.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnycomp View Post
So I operate a replacement window/siding/doors business. Im about 2 years in and we are on pace to gross about 450k this year. Not too bad but I did think we would be doing better by now. I am doing the usual internet advertising, google SEO, Adwords, Facebook Advertising and some print advertising in local coupon books. I want to step it up.

My question is there is a small building that is for sale on a very high traffic intersection near my current office. The traffic count is 10K cars per day. I can afford to buy the building but it is a sizeable chunk of money down and monthly. Would this increase my business substantially? I would put up large signs and have the whole side of the building painted with our logo and slogans.

Opinions?
Depends...

1. If you're not going to "man the store" as it were, and all you're concerned about is the signage and painted logo on the building, that's what you're in essence paying for... if you are going to man it, then that ongoing cost has to be considered as well... you might want to just look into striking up a monthly advertising deal with the owner to paint the logo on the side of the building... be cheaper and still gain you the benefit of the traffic...

2. If you currently rent a place for your business, you'd have to look at the difference between what you're giving away every month in rent and what you'd be paying in mortgage on the new place to gain an asset that you can sell/rent at the end of the your business career. Keeping in mind, that you'd also want to consider in the mix if you did set up a monthly advertising deal with the current owner... if you owned it, the only expense would be setting up the advertising on the building, not the monthly advertising fee... you can also do the same in the future, as an additional source of income if you decided to rent, instead of sell when you retire...

3. You could also combine them, buy the place to rent, still advertise your business on the side and generate additional income that way that can potentially offset your current rental if you have one... very common in cities...

These are just a couple of scenarios... But a key factor is what you can get it for... the numbers will tell the story...
Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 574

You mention you've got some advertising dollars in SEO. Would this new building be closer to the center of your core service area?

If so, it could help with your local SEO campaign but only if the building is closer to the "center" of your service area. The reason being is Google now looks at the user searching as the "centroid" in a search, ideally they are trying to show the closest services to that specific user no matter where they are. If your new address is closer to a densely populated area where lots of your potential customers are it could help out with your inbound traffic because there are more searchers. Just another angle to think about.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,302

I started with the Window and Siding Contractor client when he was starting out in his home. Since then he moved to two larger facilities. And even this last move was just replaced with him moving to a main intersection in town that is the prime real estate to be seen by all in his town. Glance at his business and perhaps even give him a call. He tends to be pretty receptive to working with others, especially if you mention seeing this here. Sometimes a little 1 on 1 with a like minded business may clarify whether it is good for you or not. Good luck.
Brian
MyOnlineToolbox

http://www.vanguardhomedesigns.com/v...xpansion-2015/
flashheatingand (08-01-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: repair , and remodeling
Rewards Points: 304

i worked for a client who did demographics for large hotel firms.
he did allot of research for a fee , on what exactly is in that area- homes ,types of people,average income , businesses ,
i`ll bet there is someone who can help you with that

but of course thats all projection, and theory
Old 07-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,216

I'd go with KAP's advice on this one. Analyze it as a real estate investment first, and see what benefits you can get.

Last edited by hdavis; 07-30-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

Thatís what Iím doing now Iím tired of doing it all! lol
Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 450

I don't know how it's done in your area, but, at least with doors, if I had a showroom, I could buy doors at dealer prices directly from the wholesaler for 20-30% cheaper than what I'm paying for them now.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #14

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
I don't know how it's done in your area, but, at least with doors, if I had a showroom, I could buy doors at dealer prices directly from the wholesaler for 20-30% cheaper than what I'm paying for them now.
No kidding. So you are telling us 'if you had a show-room' your door dealer would give you 20-30% off (just because you have a show-room)?

Makes no sense. Normally, volume is king when it comes to price reduction.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman78 View Post
No kidding. So you are telling us 'if you had a show-room' your door dealer would give you 20-30% off (just because you have a show-room)?

Makes no sense. Normally, volume is king when it comes to price reduction.
Showroom usually equals dealer pricing to sell their product... you don't house someones product for free...

Advertisement