Landing A Room Addition - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Landing A Room Addition

Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Landing A Room Addition

Before I was a remodeling contractor, I worked a number of years as a residential framer. If new construction was booming, I would probably still be framing houses. Over the couple of years I have earned my living doing basement finishes. Framing a basement is not my idea of framing at all. Since going into business for myself, I have always wanted to land a room addition. My biggest obstacle is not having the experience or photos of completed room additions. I have done my best to structure my website to be targeted toward room additions. Without any pictures it is tough. Here is what I came up with.

Room Addition Contractor

Does anybody have any ideas how I could target this market?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,612

Re: Landing A Room Addition

I realize it is against all the rules & a cardinal sin... but maybe you could do an addition for a friend or a family member to start your portfolio.

Have you tried a simple ad "Room Additions"? Check with your local builders exchange? Do you socialize where you can pass out business cards w/o being obnoxious? Just get out where you can meet & talk with people. Rotary, Elks, Masons, Friday night at the pub, they all can work if you work them right.

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #3

Trade: residental contractor
Rewards Points: 75

im with griz get some cards out talk with people i dont advertise other than the number on the back of my truck and all the jobs i get are from meeting people at bar,store,business,friends ect... keep people happy and make sure they now what you can do (quality) it seems to work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

^ I agree. I've done a fair amount of work for family. (roofing, siding, kitchen remodel, flooring, etc.) Their friends, and coworkers hear about/see it and all of sudden I'm getting phone calls. I have yet to pay for advertising. 100% of my business is word of mouth. If you take 1 job "for the team" and do a good job, I guarantee it will pay off. I'd rather give a family member a great deal on a job than pay $ to a damn phone book, etc.
Give someone a deal they can't refuse. Then use the pics & testimonials from that job on your website or facebook or whatever. It will work.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: sun rooms, screen rooms, pergolas, patio covers...
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcremodeling View Post
Before I was a remodeling contractor, I worked a number of years as a residential framer. If new construction was booming, I would probably still be framing houses. Over the couple of years I have earned my living doing basement finishes. Framing a basement is not my idea of framing at all. Since going into business for myself, I have always wanted to land a room addition. My biggest obstacle is not having the experience or photos of completed room additions. I have done my best to structure my website to be targeted toward room additions. Without any pictures it is tough. Here is what I came up with.

Room Addition Contractor

Does anybody have any ideas how I could target this market?
If you think that's your biggest obstacle, you could buy the rights to room addition photos online to use in advertising. It would be a lot less costly than building a room just to shoot pictures.

I read your copy, and from an outside perspective you are telling the customer what their goals are ....(The goal is to make the room addition look as if it were designed by the original architect. Creating professional drawings and selecting exterior and interior materials to match is an absolute must.)

Maybe, maybe not. Sounds like those are your own personal goals. What if I'm a prospect who wants to add an addition but matching isn't even on my radar? Maybe my goal is to have a room for a pool table, a home office or a sewing room?

Just saying you could reword your copy to be more open minded, more inviting.... like "What's your ideal room addition? Give us a call and we'll help make your dream a reality!"

Maybe a little less fear about how daunting a task a room can be, I'd rather buy from someone who is going to make it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Great advice. I really appreciate your input. I will take your suggestions and rework some of the content.

Advertisement

Tags
room addition contractor