Kudzu.com - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Kudzu.com

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Roofing Gutters Siding Windows Storm Shelters
Rewards Points: 25

Kudzu.com

This is a region specific question so not sure if I will get much response or not, but I'm going to throw it out there. I have been contacted by a local search directory, they mainly focus on the Metro Atlanta/Georgia area. I've heard of kudzu.com for years, they are owned by the same people that own the local ABC tv station, and the Atlanta Journal Constitution. To have a profile that is promoted, the minimum is $750/month plus a set up fee, etc. I'm curious if there are any contractors that have used this directory for promoting your business and if so what kind of response did you receive? Were you satisfied with your ROI? Or is it something you wouldn't recommend? Just looking for some feedback as it's hard to invest money these days into something and it not work...who am I kidding it's down right near impossible. Thanks for the help!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,004

Re: Kudzu.com

Seems pretty steep if you ask me.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
ConstructionMarketingPro

Trade: Marketer for Construction Companies/Contractors
Rewards Points: 150

I agree as well that it seems pretty steep. I have had people in the past with mixed results. More people were less than pleased with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Have you considered what $750 a month on web SEO might do instead?

I would be tempted to try that first.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
ConstructionMarketingPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
Have you considered what $750 a month on web SEO might do instead?

I would be tempted to try that first.
At that price, with the right keywords, I reckon it would do 10 times better results than a kudzu listing.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFerr

At that price, with the right keywords, I reckon it would do 10 times better results than a kudzu listing.
I would think that as well. A business website should be the first to maximize before spending on other web based services. Us smaller guys that's not a big deal bur for remodeling I reckon the web SEO should be primary.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,468

Kudzu.com here is very popular. I can't say for your area, but with their listings I've always gotten a ton of calls. However, I got tired of getting calls from all over Atlanta when we only service east metro Atlanta. Also, you'll find LOTS of tire kickers on there.

I finally threw in the towel when I had a client say you need to do this extra work for free or I'll give you a bad review on kudzu.

The pressure for good reviews helped me learn how to service clients better, but I got tired of the game.

It's really hard to get people to leave reviews for you. They will have found you on there and chose your company because of the reviews and then you do an awesome job for them and you can't get them to leave a review.

We've got 2 negative reviews on there from jobs we never did - we only provided an estimate for their project.

Calls seem to come in waves from the listing. You'll go 3 weeks with nothing, and then the 4th week you'll get 10 calls.

At the end of the day, the listing always paid for itself, so long as you're willing to run around and give tons of estimates (for free). For about 6 months I told people we charge $50 to come out and review their project, create a scope of work, and present a proposal. Never got one taker which was just fine with me.

Also, that $750 listing used to cost $166/mo about 2 years ago. They had a steep price increase which caused me to cancel my listing at that time. I re-listed once with them since but for me, it's no longer worth it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
ConstructionMarketingPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemodelGA View Post
Kudzu.com here is very popular. I can't say for your area, but with their listings I've always gotten a ton of calls. However, I got tired of getting calls from all over Atlanta when we only service east metro Atlanta. Also, you'll find LOTS of tire kickers on there.

I finally threw in the towel when I had a client say you need to do this extra work for free or I'll give you a bad review on kudzu.

The pressure for good reviews helped me learn how to service clients better, but I got tired of the game.

It's really hard to get people to leave reviews for you. They will have found you on there and chose your company because of the reviews and then you do an awesome job for them and you can't get them to leave a review.

We've got 2 negative reviews on there from jobs we never did - we only provided an estimate for their project.

Calls seem to come in waves from the listing. You'll go 3 weeks with nothing, and then the 4th week you'll get 10 calls.

At the end of the day, the listing always paid for itself, so long as you're willing to run around and give tons of estimates (for free). For about 6 months I told people we charge $50 to come out and review their project, create a scope of work, and present a proposal. Never got one taker which was just fine with me.

Also, that $750 listing used to cost $166/mo about 2 years ago. They had a steep price increase which caused me to cancel my listing at that time. I re-listed once with them since but for me, it's no longer worth it.
They should have been able to target you better in east metro Atlanta instead of the entire city of Atlanta. Atlanta is $%$^ huge.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
I'm on a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFerr View Post
They should have been able to target you better in east metro Atlanta instead of the entire city of Atlanta. Atlanta is $%$^ huge.
That's exactly what I told them when I cancelled my listing. I think they have options now to be more location specific - or at least that's what the salesgirl says on the voicemail she leaves me every month.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Yes that was part of my problems with the sales pitch. No we can't focus on South Atlanta only.....um ok... And wow, $166/month 2 years ago...wonder what they have done to justify their price increase.
Reviews are an amazing thing, 10 good ones ehhh ok, 1 bad one and it hurts. Especially when the bad review isn't legitimate. I had someone leave a 1 star review because they didn't like that we charged to come give them a repair estimate. I wish I could track how many "potential customers" we've had call us out and get a price for fixing their roof leak, that they had no clue where it was coming from, and then either get someone else to fix it for cheaper because we told them what was wrong, or they went to the big box stores and got some caulk to fix it for a little while. Waste of time and gas. Again thanks for the info! As of now kudzu is on the back list of things to do.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
ConstructionMarketingPro

Quote:
That's exactly what I told them when I cancelled my listing. I think they have options now to be more location specific - or at least that's what the salesgirl says on the voicemail she leaves me every month.
I think you could certainly benefit from search engine optimization given that you have a website already in place. Also, what might help your website is targeting cities/towns outside of Atlanta that are near you so you're not killing yourself driving all over creation giving out estimates for free. That makes your website even more location specific which is the ultimate goal at the end of the day.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntwilliams View Post
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Yes that was part of my problems with the sales pitch. No we can't focus on South Atlanta only.....um ok... And wow, $166/month 2 years ago...wonder what they have done to justify their price increase.
Reviews are an amazing thing, 10 good ones ehhh ok, 1 bad one and it hurts. Especially when the bad review isn't legitimate. I had someone leave a 1 star review because they didn't like that we charged to come give them a repair estimate. I wish I could track how many "potential customers" we've had call us out and get a price for fixing their roof leak, that they had no clue where it was coming from, and then either get someone else to fix it for cheaper because we told them what was wrong, or they went to the big box stores and got some caulk to fix it for a little while. Waste of time and gas. Again thanks for the info! As of now kudzu is on the back list of things to do.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but your site isnt going to convert on any traffic increases it gets. If you can contemplate 750 a month for a directory listing, then you should immediately drop 2 or 3k on a pro site.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Fence Professional

Trade: Fence Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Good SEO > Kudzu
PARAMOUNT FENCE - Voted #1 for Fencing in Michigan.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
I'm on a boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramount Fence View Post
Good SEO > Kudzu
So tell me about your experience with kudzu.
The Following User Says Thank You to J L For This Useful Post:
tntwilliams (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but your site isnt going to convert on any traffic increases it gets. If you can contemplate 750 a month for a directory listing, then you should immediately drop 2 or 3k on a pro site.
Thanks for the input, we do convert on online searches.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Another TNT, ut oh Mr. Bill...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Hardwood Floors
Rewards Points: 594

This money could be much better spent. I would worry about updating your website, seo, and promotion.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 500

That seems like a high price to pay. I think you can do alot better with other forms of online advertising. Having said that, I do not have any direct experience using thier service.

Advertisement