Interested In Getting An Internet Presence - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Interested In Getting An Internet Presence

Old 03-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,792

Interested In Getting An Internet Presence

I held off for as long as possible and to generate some new business and other benefits I'm going to pull the trigger soon. I want to start on the cheap. I don't want to sink a lot of money in this for now. Anybody try Wix, Wordpress, or Webnode? What's best?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,708

Re: Interested In Getting An Internet Presence

I'm a yuge fan of having a great website. Changed my business. It's a wordpress site. If was just starting with some sort of internet presence and not looking to spend a lot yet on a great site I'd create a FB page. I just made this post and boosted (more visibility) the other day.

450 people have seen it and I've only spent $9.25 Still have 2' of snow here and more on the way so just testing it out a bit and did a $50 budget. Gonna create an actual ad that looks similar and spend some more but was just messing around the other day. I'm late to FB game but no doubt is word of mouth on steroids. Not saying I'm getting a ton of work from fb but potential in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Master Touch (01-26-2019), SmallTownGuy (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,373

Going to finally enter the 20th century?
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Going to finally enter the 20th century?
21st century.....need advice
SmallTownGuy (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
I'm a yuge fan of having a great website. Changed my business. It's a wordpress site. If was just starting with some sort of internet presence and not looking to spend a lot yet on a great site I'd create a FB page. I just made this post and boosted (more visibility) the other day.

450 people have seen it and I've only spent $9.25 Still have 2' of snow here and more on the way so just testing it out a bit and did a $50 budget. Gonna create an actual ad that looks similar and spend some more but was just messing around the other day. I'm late to FB game but no doubt is word of mouth on steroids. Not saying I'm getting a ton of work from fb but potential in there.
The reason I got 14K "likes" so quickly, is because I set down 1 night and studied the posts that got the most responses in the groups I signed onto.

All around me are small towns that each have their own FB page. Make something interesting, post it, measure the feedback. If people get a sense you can be trusted, they'll remember you.

My two favorite sales gals have done the same thing. They belong to every community, post interesting personal stuff, and literally have thousands of devoted followers. BTW, they both are really good, sincere, decent people who always looks out for the buyer. A rare thing nowadays.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
The reason I got 14K "likes" so quickly, is because I set down 1 night and studied the posts that got the most responses in the groups I signed onto.

All around me are small towns that each have their own FB page. Make something interesting, post it, measure the feedback. If people get a sense you can be trusted, they'll remember you.

My two favorite sales gals have done the same thing. They belong to every community, post interesting personal stuff, and literally have thousands of devoted followers. BTW, they both are really good, sincere, decent people who always looks out for the buyer. A rare thing nowadays.

Thought you got some many because of your good looking profile pic .

I'm open to suggestions and tips

Old 03-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Thought you got some many because of your good looking profile pic .

I'm open to suggestions and tips

Yeah....

Join up with as many local FB pages as you want with your personal name. Then watch them for a few days. Some won't let you just "advertise", others will. But watch how when a resident asks for recommendations for certain work. You'll get it figured out pretty quick.

Just a simple "Hey Sherrie, that would be a fairly simple repair for you. Give us a call at ***-***-***x".
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
21st century.....need advice
Internet website is 20th century. Twitter ....Blah blah blah is 21st.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,454

Hire sites4contractors and never look back.

You know whats good done on the cheap and DIY??

fricken nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-17-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #10

Trade: Radars
Rewards Points: 4

Having your own traditional website is not 20th century, not yet at least..

Have you considered maybe working with a professional in the field or hiring someone who can help you get presence and traffic to the site or at least advice?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #11

Trade: Handyman & Light Remodeling
Rewards Points: 334

Hi folks,

I second the recommendation to get a FB page and then subscribe to - and monitor - local community pages. Not in place of a website, but along with it. And I'd do the FB thing ASAP because it's much easier. It's very low-hanging fruit. I haven't been on FB all that long and have already gotten solid leads. And I agree with SmallTownGuy: be genuine and look out for the customer's best interest. In the long run they'll know they can trust you and you'll get more work as a result. And you'll be able to sleep at night.

Regarding the website itself: initially, just make sure it's clean, professional-looking, and easy to find your contact information. I've seen some very bare-bones websites that still looked clean & professional. You can build from there.

There are people who specialize website development, as others have suggested. Feel free to use them, but also know that if you have the desire, you can learn to do this yourself. There's a learning curve, to be sure, but it's not impossible. That's the route I chose. But I totally understand the folks who outsource their web work so they can keep doing what makes them money - construction jobs.

The drawback of doing your own website is that you must handle all your web work yourself, and it can be tedious at times - especially when just learning. But the cool thing - and the reason I chose to do it myself - is that you are in full control of what your website looks like and can make any changes you want, whenever you want. That was irresistible to me.

BTW, once you've got a website, just know that you won't show up in a search right away. That's a topic unto itself and there are people who specialize in it. There are some good threads in this forum as well. But don't expect to get flooded with calls the day after you "go live". (Or even the month after you go live.)

Nevertheless, having a website helps with credibility for people who find you by other means (word of mouth, FB, etc.). I've had word-of-mouth-referral customers tell me over the phone, "...yes, I'm looking at your website right now." And many of my FB leads have actually gone to my website to contact me (via my contact form). I've also had other customers specifically tell me they bypassed the first few contractors they found online because their websites looked unprofessional. (Right or wrong, people associate the quality of your website with the quality of your construction work. So yeah, a clean, professional-looking website is important.)

FWIW, my site is built on Wordpress. I'm not saying Wordpress is the only way to go, it's just what I did. And in my opinion it's worth the extra money to buy a good theme once you've gotten a Wordpress site. A good theme makes the process easier. Plus there are tons of great tutorials associated with the themes. These were priceless to me!

Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you well on your website journey!

Steve

www.simplyrenewedspaces.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svankirk For This Useful Post:
buildmanbuild (06-01-2018), Master Touch (01-26-2019)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #12

Trade: Radars
Rewards Points: 4

A great great post svankirk!

I would only add that in this profession a website often serves as only a "contact card" where you can direct people and your potential customers.. Yes you can also direct them to your FB page or other social media but everybody has that.

When it is your own site especially one that has your business name it just impresses more when it is a decent looking site with all the relevant info etc.. rather than just a FB page..

Bottom line, it is better to have both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronnie1 For This Useful Post:
Master Touch (01-26-2019)
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
New Guy

Trade: Structural Glazing
Rewards Points: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie1 View Post
A great great post svankirk!

I would only add that in this profession a website often serves as only a "contact card" where you can direct people and your potential customers.. Yes you can also direct them to your FB page or other social media but everybody has that.

When it is your own site especially one that has your business name it just impresses more when it is a decent looking site with all the relevant info etc.. rather than just a FB page..

Bottom line, it is better to have both.
Well said Ronnie,

There are so many elements to web presence that it can all get pretty overwhelming, but at the MOST basic level it's important to make sure you have all of your social media accounts, and your website sorted.

I agree with everyone above - simple, bold, clear, with your contact details visible on every page. The nicer you can make it look, the better, and use other/similar websites as inspiration - you don't have to be completely original in every aspect, if something looks great, use it!

The only other thing to add would be setting up Google My Business - if you set this up (just search for it in Google, instructions are pretty clear), Google will send you a postcard with a PIN to your address, and then Google will recognise that you're a real business with a real location - it'll mean you can appear in local search (so if someone searches for 'X service near me' and they live down the road, you're more likely to appear on the map!)

Just some food for thought - very best of luck with everything, hope it all goes well!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 528

I always recommend Wordpress and one of the premium themes. When choosing themes, check out the reviews to make sure that the performance and functionalities are great. I would also recommend hiring an advertising agency, ask them what do they offer and what can you get in a certain period of time. From my experience, you should start with them with the lowest package they have. You can increase in time if they're getting results. And, one of the most important things, focus on local marketing. Make sure they know how to do it. Ask them to show you their portfolio and to tell you how do they grow their clients. This is what I get from the marketing agency we hired. I always got a lot of info from them, but when I learned something myself and started asking targeted questions, I got much more information. And that's how you learn yourself, actually.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 58

I personally think WordPress is pretty hard to use and like Squarespace. They've got plans that start at $12/month and it's pretty simple to set things up. That way you don't have to set up Wordpress for you which can cost a good $300+. Here's how to set it up.

Just make sure you get your domain name at namecheap.com because it's going to be cheaper in the long run. Godaddy has good coupons for the first time you buy a domain but after that they charge you an arm and a leg and never offer discounts again.

Last edited by wattsittoyou; 05-12-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Structural Glazing
Rewards Points: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsittoyou View Post
I personally think WordPress is pretty hard to use and like Squarespace. They've got plans that start at $12/month and it's pretty simple to set things up. That way you don't have to set up Wordpress for you which can cost a good $300+. Here's how to set it up.

Just make sure you get your domain name at namecheap.com because it's going to be cheaper in the long run. Godaddy has good coupons for the first time you buy a domain but after that they charge you an arm and a leg and never offer discounts again.
That's a fair point - WordPress isn't the most user-friendly platform out there, and Squarespace is a lot easier to get to grips with. I guess the only consideration with Squarespace is it can be a little bit trickier to handle when it comes to SEO.

If Search Engine performance is important to you, then you'd need to be careful which template you choose (some of them will put your metadata on top of images) - this might not matter to some people, but it's worth thinking about.

WordPress is definitely a lot more confusing, but with plugins like Yoast you can manage your search engine optimisation pretty easily, even if you pick a cheap theme - I'm not advocating either option, I guess it just comes down to personal preference!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Cantifix For This Useful Post:
wattsittoyou (05-16-2018)