Instagram To Promote My Business? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Instagram To Promote My Business?

Old 01-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 546

Instagram To Promote My Business?

Winter is always slow for me. I'm sitting here, twiddling the thumbs with no work, wondering how to get Work, remembering someone set me up an Instagram account and posted some pics early last year but I never really learned to use it. I've been hearing it could good potential exposure for people like me with real nice visual content products. I have some time and motivation for it now!

But I'm not sure how to jump back in, do I just start posting pics with a couple hash tags? How many pics a day? Do I need to introduce myself / company ?

here's my page I just updated it! Added my new logo but I can't seem to get it's size right, it's cut off, I took it down to 130 x 110 https://www.instagram.com/woodsshop/

I have a lot nice pics, all keyword named, and some matching text to use as the description tags, but on my computer as I don't take many photos with the phone. Do I email them to my phone? You can tell I don't know anything about this but I'd love to get started!
asevereid (01-27-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,920

Re: Instagram To Promote My Business?

I just started a month ago and already getting and giving work. I email photos to myself after editing and cropping square, then post. Instagram has been amazingly great for me.

Get followed by a few people who are big into it and have a lot of followers, post once a day, comment once a day, etc. It's similar to SEO algorithms. If you are followed by people who are followed by a lot of people, then you'll get more followers. Eventually someone will see your work and want to hire you. Or in my case, us contractors share a lot of work.

I've never used a hashtag in my life, and IG still seems to work for me.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-27-2018), r a s (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Pro

Why crop them square when the phone pics most people upload aren't square?

what size should I make them? 500 pixels square?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Pro

Hey Golden, why crop them square when the phone pics most people upload aren't square?

what size should I make them for Instagram? 500 pixels square?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
edward trowelhands

Instagram forces them to be square. It lets you crop while posting, but I do it in a photo editor on my laptop so I can see it better. I do 1000x1000 pix.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,154

I never was a fan for Instagram mostly since none of my clients ever got a lead from it. I have constantly done surveys with hundreds of folk and it always was leading back to YouTube (better to assist at Organic Rankings) and Facebook (better to assist at social sharing).

That is no longer completely true since one of my clients (http://www.littlestarrenovations.com/) just recently received an inquiry on their website where the prospect specifically cited them seeing them on Instagram. So while I am more a fan of YouTube and Facebook, I can no longer say Instagram is completely ineffective and I mention their name to at least thank them for breaking the ice on my theory that leads can not make it from that platform.

But I still treat Instagram as more of brand awareness that should be considered after the options that are more effective in producing either ranking increases or more social sharing opportunities for leads. However, I can no longer say Instagram is completely ineffective.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Pro

Yes a FB ad is my next avenue to explore, but who has some more tips about using InstaGram?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
I never was a fan for Instagram mostly since none of my clients ever got a lead from it. I have constantly done surveys with hundreds of folk and it always was leading back to YouTube (better to assist at Organic Rankings) and Facebook (better to assist at social sharing).

That is no longer completely true since one of my clients (http://www.littlestarrenovations.com/) just recently received an inquiry on their website where the prospect specifically cited them seeing them on Instagram. So while I am more a fan of YouTube and Facebook, I can no longer say Instagram is completely ineffective and I mention their name to at least thank them for breaking the ice on my theory that leads can not make it from that platform.

But I still treat Instagram as more of brand awareness that should be considered after the options that are more effective in producing either ranking increases or more social sharing opportunities for leads. However, I can no longer say Instagram is completely ineffective.
IG gets subs lots of leads. And it's great to help close for GCs. While choosing a GC, clients see daily updates and other projects going on, comments of praise, "likes," etc. The competitor has a static website. Clients like to see that their GC is current, actively engaged in the business, and productive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
r a s (01-30-2018), Sir Mixalot (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #9
Pro

How do people find you on Instagram? Do they enter search terms?

how many pics should you post every day? Do I keyword name the images and then write some text using the same keywords?

why, when filling out my Bio, does it always say 'your bio must be 150 characters or fewer' when it is less then 150 characters?

https://www.instagram.com/woods.shop/
Old 01-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
How do people find you on Instagram? Do they enter search terms?

how many pics should you post every day? Do I keyword name the images and then write some text using the same keywords?

why, when filling out my Bio, does it always say 'your bio must be 150 characters or fewer' when it is less then 150 characters?

https://www.instagram.com/woods.shop/
I can't say I know any of these answers. I post a few pics a week, with a small caption. I comment occasionally on other people. I'm followed by a couple people with tons of followers. I think that helps a lot.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #11

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 61

I honestly havent messed with instagram that much but FB has worked well for me. I try to post content once a week and I get some leads.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Pro

Can anyone explain how to do IG from the computer? There's a way using Chrome I've heard.

how about syncing IG and FB? There's a way to post to both at the same time.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Can anyone explain how to do IG from the computer? There's a way using Chrome I've heard.

how about syncing IG and FB? There's a way to post to both at the same time.
I haven't found a good way to use IG from the computer for posting. There is a native Windows 10 application (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...m/9nblggh5l9xt), but you can't post from it, but good for browsing and interacting.

What I usually do is keep a list of hash tags and the caption for the post in Evernote, which I write on my computer because I hate typing on my phone, then just copy and past on my phone to make an actual post.

How do people find you on IG: a few ways from what I can see. One is by them clicking on a hash tag. Location specific hastags seem to bring people to my page, like for you #SanDiegoDecks . Because I live in a smaller geographic area a lot of people seem to shorten the city by using either our telephone area code or airport code. Not sure that will work in your area, but for me I see a fair bit of #613Carpentry or #YOWCustomCarpentry.

For me though, I don't really use IG for marketing, though I am cognisant that potential clients could be following/watch my page. I use it more as a way to interact with other trades people (much like ContractorTalk). I find I get followers from commenting on other peoples pages as much as posts themselves.

I have actually received quite a bit of work from IG, but through more of an indirect route. Meaning that I've been able to connect with a lot of local trades and other GC's in the area and they have recommended me or asked me to sub part of their jobs. It's really nice to be able to see the kind of work others do and the quality they put into their work to get a sense if you're like-minded. IG seems quite a bit more interactive than other platforms in that the more you interact with the people you follow and followers the more you'll get out of it, whereas the other platforms of marketing are unidirectional.

And yes, you can post from both IG and FB, but I think you need a business account on both for it to work properly
The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
r a s (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,840

Instagram is a waste of time for lead gen, unless you are already operating at a high level on the most basic platforms.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #15
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Instagram is a waste of time for lead gen, unless you are already operating at a high level on the most basic platforms.
Been my best source. One customer that found me on IG will keep me busy for over a year. I move a lot of product thanks to IG.

FB is basically worthless in comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-30-2018), Sir Mixalot (01-31-2018), Spencer (02-07-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
I can see how that's true for a lot of people. I would say 50% of my work last year came through my Instagram connections. I know of a few guys in town who get 80% or more of their work through IG though. They do work for interior designers here that are very popular on IG and their line of work is in small projects that is very home-owner marketable.

If you compare it to traditional style marketing like a web page or ads, I would agree with you that you most likely will not get many cold calls from strangers who happened across your IG page compared to your web page.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 PM   #17
Pro

so what do I need to do, start following other builders / woodworkers / Japanese garden people? There are so many, how do I choose which people / companies to follow?

where do I learn how to use IG?
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
so what do I need to do, start following other builders / woodworkers / Japanese garden people? There are so many, how do I choose which people / companies to follow?

I just follow people I think do cool stuff and share good technical information.

Who's your typical client?

Maybe look at a page like @timberkits or @minnesotapergolas I think they do similar stuff to you (though I think your stuff is far more refined).

Go to their page, click the "following" and "followers" headings and see if there's similar pages in there that you like.

If you sell to local builders a lot, then follow a bunch of local builders, make a few comments on their page if you like their stuff.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #19
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Anyone with a visual craft can benefit from IG. I found my best tile setter that way. I looked at his photos for 2 hours and before I got out of the daze I basically called him and told him I'd pay him whatever he wants.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Philament (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:19 PM   #20
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,820

Quote:

I just started posting pictures of stuff/machinery/projects I was working on. I just follow or like things I find interesting. It's simple, no BS, no crap I don't want to see or read.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement