I Never Understood This Type Of Thinking... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

I Never Understood This Type Of Thinking...

Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Handymen are people too

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 356

I Never Understood This Type Of Thinking...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sks/3014330402.html

"Our prices are very reasonable and we have our current economy in mind when pricing."

Do contractors get a discount on food, fuel, rent, mortgage, tools, cell phone bills, clothing, vehicles, insurance, etc.. that I don't know about?

I see many of these ads saying stuff like "recession prices", "bad economy pricing" etc..

Contractors are consumers too we pay for everything that our customers do along with all of the other business expenses the average person doesn't have.

So these "contractors" are worried about the customers wallet because the economy is bad and times are tough? Are the customers worried about you? Like i said we have all the same living expenses as them but tons of other bills that go with running a business.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to realelectrician For This Useful Post:
GRB (05-17-2012), MagicPoolSvcs (05-21-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: I Never Understood This Type Of Thinking...

Richard Branson was on the news earlier. I don't think I ever heard someone saynsomething so stupid as what he said. He said that "it's much easier to start a buisness venture now as everything is so much cheaper" funny that Branson as your flights have gone up in price and so has every other dam thing! What does he think has dropped in price. I honestly don't know one thing that is cheaper now than it was 3 years ago! It's more like he's making more money so everything seems cheaper to him. Easy to sit back and say its easy to make money when ya got a few billion laying around in spare change.

Advertisement

MagicPoolSvcs (05-21-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,349

Quote:
Originally Posted by realelectrician View Post
I see many of these ads saying stuff like "recession prices", "bad economy pricing" etc..
It's marketing talk, that's all. Pretends to be sympathetic to clients cornered by the actual current state of the economy, and it's certainly not limited to CL. Shrug.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Celtic (05-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
It's marketing talk, that's all. Pretends to be sympathetic to clients cornered by the actual current state of the economy, and it's certainly not limited to CL. Shrug.
No it's desperation talk by these "contractors" on Craigslist. Their only way they know how to get business is to offer dirt cheap prices they don't sell themselves.

I don't see the Apple company on TV saying "we know times are tough that's why we are offering the iPhone for $99"
The Following User Says Thank You to realelectrician For This Useful Post:
MagicPoolSvcs (05-21-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
No it's desperation talk by these "contractors" on Craigslist. Their only way they know how to get business is to offer dirt cheap prices they don't sell themselves.
So... like I said, it's marketing talk. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it ineffective. As for not seeing it in larger corporate ad campaigns, I disagree. It's there, but just not stated quite so baldly.

Why does that bother you?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

I am going to try the opposite approach when the economy starts bustling.

"Our prices are SKY HIGH!! But you are rolling in the dough, so start that expensive project before the economy tumbles again"
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

ill buy
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Handymen are people too

Quote:
So... like I said, it's marketing talk. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it ineffective. As for not seeing it in larger corporate ad campaigns, I disagree. It's there, but just not stated quite so baldly.

Why does that bother you?
Bother me? I made a this thread to see what others think it don't bother me. I don't need to sell myself on dirt cheap "recession pricing" to get a job.

And yes we all know the guys on craigslist working for beer money are "marketers" as you call it.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I am going to try the opposite approach when the economy starts bustling.

"Our prices are SKY HIGH!! But you are rolling in the dough, so start that expensive project before the economy tumbles again"
I do that now in this "tough economy".

I post on Craigslist occasionally where my headline reads "xyz electric there is nothing cheap about my service"

"electrician - for people who care more about quality over price"

Why does everyone have to offer low prices?

When you put any type of reference of low prices or hint at low prices you attract the cheap customers.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Capra aegagrus

If you sell service for a living, you damned well ought to be concerned with effective marketing tactics, and like it or not, this is one of them. By no means is everyone on CL "working for beer money".
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Average Joe

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 524

I read a great book a month back: "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith.

I studied Liberal Arts, no business/economy courses (not even in high school). I was oblivious so I figured I'll start where it all started, with the supposed "Godfather of economics".

What I got out of the book in relation to what you're aggrieved by is that all of what you're saying is actually beneficial to the end consumer, who is then encouraged to consume more, which drives up demand, drives up industry, drives up jobs, and though we all know the rest of this story the thing to take out of it is what happens next...we become better competitors on the global market.

To cut it down to its bone you and I play a part just like the Craigslist contractor plays a part in a balancing act by the economics masterminds that tilt the balance in favor of the nation state (or corporations, which is a legitimate fact that in the end produces a greater benefit to the nation by extension).

The Craigslist fella is driving the wages of your labour DOWN. As demand increases in any one sector, the first in will almost always get paid the highest, due to the scarcity of their skills. But by creating this lucrative venture, where others are inclined to undergo the training necessary to become a part of a rich or lucrative work field, the masses will "fill the need" and as the supply of labour increases, the value of ones labour in that sector decreases. This is a natural law of free markets.

What economists call this is the "balancing" effect of free markets, wherein YOUR wages will continue to go down as this trend continues. Ever wonder why there are no REAL crackdowns in our industry? Because free markets prevail.

After many years of beating my head up against the wall...I think I'm beginning to understand "our place", and why these regulations are happening.

My 2 cents anyhow. Keep your nose up and stay out of the gutter (craigslist). You'll be alright.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heritage For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
Handymen are people too

Quote:
If you sell service for a living, you damned well ought to be concerned with effective marketing tactics, and like it or not, this is one of them. By no means is everyone on CL "working for beer money".
Attracting poor/cheap customers is not effective marketing tactics. Again I'll use Apple as an example. Have you ever heard Apple ever talk about pricing in their ad campaigns on TV? nope. Because they build a quality product and word spread and now they are one of the biggest richest companies in the world.

All without saying "iPhones cheap for todays tough economy"
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

It doesn't mean anything.

On my website I say I have a best value guarantee. Doesn't mean cheap.

Maybe his "recession" prices are more than yours. You never know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
DavidC (05-18-2012), kj6887 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Maybe his "recession" prices are more than yours. You never know.
Excellent point, Bam, and really what I was saying all along.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Handymen are people too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
I read a great book a month back: "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith.

I studied Liberal Arts, no business/economy courses (not even in high school). I was oblivious so I figured I'll start where it all started, with the supposed "Godfather of economics".

What I got out of the book in relation to what you're aggrieved by is that all of what you're saying is actually beneficial to the end consumer, who is then encouraged to consume more, which drives up demand, drives up industry, drives up jobs, and though we all know the rest of this story the thing to take out of it is what happens next...we become better competitors on the global market.

To cut it down to its bone you and I play a part just like the Craigslist contractor plays a part in a balancing act by the economics masterminds that tilt the balance in favor of the nation state (or corporations, which is a legitimate fact that in the end produces a greater benefit to the nation by extension).

The Craigslist fella is driving the wages of your labour DOWN. As demand increases in any one sector, the first in will almost always get paid the highest, due to the scarcity of their skills. But by creating this lucrative venture, where others are inclined to undergo the training necessary to become a part of a rich or lucrative work field, the masses will "fill the need" and as the supply of labour increases, the value of ones labour in that sector decreases. This is a natural law of free markets.

What economists call this is the "balancing" effect of free markets, wherein YOUR wages will continue to go down as this trend continues. Ever wonder why there are no REAL crackdowns in our industry? Because free markets prevail.

After many years of beating my head up against the wall...I think I'm beginning to understand "our place", and why these regulations are happening.

My 2 cents anyhow. Keep your nose up and stay out of the gutter (craigslist). You'll be alright.
Best advice for anyone

I put an ad on Craigslist once a week only because it's free. My main business is from referrals and my local free newspaper ad. I made a pathetic $5k+ last year from Craigslist and the s hit I put up with to get that......

Craigslist is mostly bottomfeeders, tire kickers, and cheap skates it is a free online flea market so you get what you pay for.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Craigslist is mostly bottomfeeders, tire kickers, and cheap skates it is a free online flea market so you get what you pay for.
So this is really why you started this thread, in order to be able to say that. Gee, I never would have guessed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (05-16-2012), DavidC (05-18-2012), TNTRenovate (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Handymen are people too

Quote:
So this is really why you started this thread, in order to be able to say that. Gee, I never would have guessed.
Yep that's why I started this thread....

Sorry I didn't mean to offend your main source of income
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by realelectrician

Yep that's why I started this thread....

Well you're the one searching for service providers on Craigslist...
The Following User Says Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
I've advertised on CL exactly twice. One got me little but spam; the other landed me a lucrative job within two hours and numerous similarly lucrative followup jobs. On balance, the outcome was very positive.

Maybe you have something to learn about marketing.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
Handymen are people too

Quote:
I've advertised on CL exactly twice. One got me little but spam; the other landed me a lucrative job within two hours and numerous similarly lucrative followup jobs. On balance, the outcome was very positive.

Maybe you have something to learn about marketing.
Who said you can't land jobs from Craigslist? If you read my above post I have made money from there.....

Overall the site is bottom feeders, game players, and cheap asses and I'm not the only one who thinks that.

This thread is not about Craigslist it's about the "marketing" done by "contractors" that have no marketing skills.

Any idiot can say "dirt cheap unbeatable prices give me a call" "NOBODY can beat my prices NOBODY"

A real marketer sells himself and his service and attracts quality leads.

Advertisement