I Need A Interesting Direct Mail Idea.... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

I Need A Interesting Direct Mail Idea....

Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

I Need A Interesting Direct Mail Idea....

I know alot about direct mail but need some advice.

I mail alot to new homeowners. When I mail to people who bought 2 million dollar plus homes I want to make sure they read my letter or whatever I send.

Whats my best bet? Mail a letter certified mail? Fed ex a letter?

I do not have a catolog yet. What I have and been using is a killer letter written buy one of my millionaire clients. Its really a great letter and touches on all the important topics. If it never gets read, it does not matter how well the letter is written. I just want to make sure it gets opened. I might only mail out 50 letters a month with this method, so cost is not a issue.

What would you recommened?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

Re: I Need A Interesting Direct Mail Idea....

Someone posted a link to the painters forum that addressed this, it was really good. In short he said to put something inside the envelope like a coaster with your logo, or a refrigerator magnet (the thicker the better). It makes them wonder and they just have to open it.

I just saw some large plastic paper clips, they were flat and you could have your logo put on them. Something like that would raise enough curiosity to open it up and give them something to hold on to for practical use.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ruskent,

Reading all your posts is what got me started doing direct mail. Thanks for posting so much of your advice! I've been sending out our letter with a refrigerator magnet to potential clients. We usually get calls 3 weeks after sending them out so people are holding on to them. We use a company logo next to the return address, printed in color, and have hand written envelopes. Like Jason was saying, magnets do make you wonder what is in the envelope. The heavier magnets are 30mil thick and still go through the mail in regular envelopes just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I would send it Fed-X for sure and attach a $1.00 bill or a $10.00 bill to the letter since you send 50 a month out.

I would split test it first and see which one works the best.

Maybe even a set of golf balls inside. With a client in that $$ range you can afford to step out side the box a little bit. Let us know how it goes! Good luck
Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Pro

Okay I could send a small box with logo golf balls.

Is there anything I could send that someone who just moved into a new home would need?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #6

How about a free report to help them on were to shop and who to call for services etc?

I know when I moved in my new home I needed dry cleaners, Lawn service, pest control,car detail, furniture, blinds, food shopping etc.

So put a list togeather or maybe work with these type of companys and maybe get a referrel fee?

I had to call my builder all the time for suggestions. Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Proprietor

Trade: TILE!
Rewards Points: 1,060

We send postcards. People will look at them.
Then they either toss em or keep em.

Most of my junk mail gets thrown out without me even opening the envelope.
Credit card companies try stuffing those fake plastic cards to try and get me to open it, but I still throw them away.

If it's a post card you get instant gratification.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Proprietor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskent View Post
Is there anything I could send that someone who just moved into a new home would need?
Your home team's baseball schedule magnet with your logo and contact info somewhere.

A magnet with list of food delivery companies with your logo and contact info on bottom. You could get these companies to pitch in for their placement on the magnet, in turn paying for your costs.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Ruskent -

You have to put yourself in the position of who you are selling to. If you are selling to the owners of quality homes you should target them directly.

This is not like mass marketing. - How many of your potential clients will proudly cherish a stupid magnet ot a baseball schedule on their refrigerator? A mass-printed brochure is equally insulting.

There are some very basic rules for quality mailing IF you have a complete personal address:

1. Do not use your business envelope, but use a quality envelope (classic linen or similar paper). tinted is O.K.

2. Hand address the envelope with good script and a blue or blue-black ink. - Same applies to the return address.

3. Use only commemorative stamps. - No printed stamps or label ever!!!

4. Apply the stamp reasonably straight, but slightly tilted to show it is not junk mail.

That is the easy part to hopefully get the letter opened.

A refrigerator magnet in a Fed-Ex envelope is rediculous.

If you want some impact, send something that is dramatic and appropriate. Fed-Ex, etc. is tacky and shows a boring waste of time and money. - If you have a potential paver customer, send a paving stone to the woman of the house. Include individually printed photos of completed projects (cheap addition). You do not have to attach your card, because they will remember who it came from. They will probably tell all their friends, so you will get more exposure to quality customers and their neighbors.

Obviously, you will have a much higher percentage response than traditional junk mail and door hangers, so you will have to decide how effective it is for your business.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Proprietor

Wouldn't you have to FedEx the paver?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
Pro

I had a meeting this evening and we found this new envelope type we are going to use. I do not even know how to describe it.

I stopped using my company stationary for mailings 2 months ago. The last few thousands letters have been mailed in ivory #6 envelopes.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #12

Ruskent if you give me your address I would like to send you a copy of our magazine and this might give you some Ideals.

Every since I came out with it we have had fantastic response and it put us in a different outlook with our clients. We have been able to get higher priced jobs and we were able to educate our client better on all the products and services we offer.

I have enjoyed your post and you do alot of mailings and marketing. I am sure we can help each other. Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

I'd like to see your catalog.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

thats a great idea...and to think all this time i thought i was the smartest guy on the planet...lol

i like it alot.

NH Remodeling Company With Services for Sunrooms Windows and Vinyl Siding
Old 05-30-2008, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksh View Post
I'd like to see your catalog.
Please PM me and I would be happy to send you our 24 page magazine and some other advertising things we do. Just give me your address. Thanks

Advertisement