I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks? - Page 4 - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #61
Pro
 
WBailey1041's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutters
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 794
Rewards Points: 1,563

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H
?..snip... seriously---- for $50 you can get the English Major working as a barrista at the local Starbucks to tweak your text a bit. I usually run my stuff by at least 2 other people. all in all, needs some minor work, but a nice job overall. Best wishes, stephen


THIS, your grammar is not so much
WBailey1041 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #62
Pro
 
CompleteW&D's Avatar
 
Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,495
Rewards Points: 2,936

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


God you guys are making my head spin. I did my own site from a free web builder going on four years ago. It's an HTML template (I think) and is free. I only pay for the hosting which isn't all that expensive. I hired a professional SEO firm a year and a half ago to work with our existing site and in no time at all, he had us ranked on page one organically in SEVERAL categories. While it was expensive (to us anyway), we were fairly impressed.

Until that is, someone here showed me how to check the backlinks he was creating and I found all kinds of nefarious backlinks like purse, and shoe sites, a publisher who had never published a single book and on and on. Fearing the wrath of Google, I fired him immediately. Fortunately, many of those backlinks have gone away (I think). I've fallen off of page one organically in many instances (still there for entry doors Indianapolis.... or was the other day), but I'm no longer worried about getting blacklisted by father G.

So, I get spammed the other day by a company wanting to do a new website for us. They send me this temporary mock up (not my pictures, content or anything at all from me): http://hit.contactability.co/pages/index and I was impressed. I asked what platform it was (I knew at least to ask that from discussions here) and I was told it was their own platform (not a WP or other platform) that they developed themselves. The new site makeover was free, but the monthly hosting was pretty pricy (at least in my original thinking).

But, I talked with my partner before he headed out of town for vacation and said, maybe it's time to start thinking about spending some $$$ on a new site.

Now, I read this.... and I'm all confused again about what the best course of action truly is.

EDIT: Oops.... I misspoke above. There IS a charge for the initial website design/build. But the hosting is STILL a ton of $$$ in my eyes. Even if it DOES include minor SEO, changes, additions, adding content etc.
__________________
- John Williams
Complete Window and Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 03-21-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I LIED and decided to come clean ;-)
CompleteW&D is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #63
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


That is interesting

Quote:
As a quick experiment, - - I googled 'Nevada home builder', - - and checked every site in the left-hand column, including the ads at the top.

There were a total of 13 sites in that column, - - only ONE was wordpress, - - all the rest were html.

The wordpress one was about 10th in line . . .

Last edited by JBM; 03-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.
JBM is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Tom R (03-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #64
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
God you guys are making my head spin. I did my own site from a free web builder going on four years ago. It's an HTML template (I think) and is free. I only pay for the hosting which isn't all that expensive. I hired a professional SEO firm a year and a half ago to work with our existing site and in no time at all, he had us ranked on page one organically in SEVERAL categories. While it was expensive (to us anyway), we were fairly impressed.

Until that is, someone here showed me how to check the backlinks he was creating and I found all kinds of nefarious backlinks like purse, and shoe sites, a publisher who had never published a single book and on and on. Fearing the wrath of Google, I fired him immediately. Fortunately, many of those backlinks have gone away (I think). I've fallen off of page one organically in many instances (still there for entry doors Indianapolis.... or was the other day), but I'm no longer worried about getting blacklisted by father G.

So, I get spammed the other day by a company wanting to do a new website for us. They send me this temporary mock up (not my pictures, content or anything at all from me): http://hit.contactability.co/pages/index and I was impressed. I asked what platform it was (I knew at least to ask that from discussions here) and I was told it was their own platform (not a WP or other platform) that they developed themselves. The new site makeover was free, but the monthly hosting was pretty pricy (at least in my original thinking).

But, I talked with my partner before he headed out of town for vacation and said, maybe it's time to start thinking about spending some $$$ on a new site.

Now, I read this.... and I'm all confused again about what the best course of action truly is.
PM me any companies your looking at and I can look at their sites for you if you want.
JBM is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #65
Pro
 
CompleteW&D's Avatar
 
Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,495
Rewards Points: 2,936

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Well, there is that link I posted. It's a redirect (I THINK that's what it's called) to the mock up they made for me, but all of their info is plastered all over the bottom of the "Home" page.
__________________
- John Williams
Complete Window and Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.
CompleteW&D is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #66
Member
 
HandyFeller's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler turned Marketer
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 56
Rewards Points: 75

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
As a quick experiment, - - I googled 'Nevada home builder', - - and checked every site in the left-hand column, including the ads at the top.

There were a total of 13 sites in that column, - - only ONE was wordpress, - - all the rest were html.

The wordpress one was about 10th in line . . .
And not a builder in the lot, at least in my results. If you're going to measure HTML against WP, it's probably best to stay away from comparisons of companies who's sole business is taking the top spot for those keywords. That's their prime directive.
__________________
Carl Donovan
Remodeler turned Marketer
HandyFeller is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #67
Pro
 
Tom R's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,858
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


American West Development, Inc.

Ryland Homes

Pardee Homes

Mountain's Edge

Sun West Custom Homes

William Lyon Homes
Tom R is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #68
Pro
 
Tom R's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,858
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFeller View Post
And not a builder in the lot, at least in my results. If you're going to measure HTML against WP, it's probably best to stay away from comparisons of companies who's sole business is taking the top spot for those keywords. That's their prime directive.

Wordpress is easier for the designer.

Html is better for the client.

Html with WordPress built in is better for everybody.

That's the opinion I've come to, - - yours is welcome to be different.
Tom R is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #69
Member
 
HandyFeller's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler turned Marketer
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 56
Rewards Points: 75

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
American West Development, Inc.

Ryland Homes

Pardee Homes

Mountain's Edge

Sun West Custom Homes

William Lyon Homes
So you're talking about Google Local results, not SERP's. I see.

Whether or not you show up in the magic 7 has precious little to do with the platform on which your site is built.

But, in the long run, this probably isn't serving anyone so I'm going to go watch a movie with my kids.

Have a good one.
__________________
Carl Donovan
Remodeler turned Marketer
HandyFeller is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #70
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteW&D View Post
Well, there is that link I posted. It's a redirect (I THINK that's what it's called) to the mock up they made for me, but all of their info is plastered all over the bottom of the "Home" page.

It looks like they want to be paid per lead or something like that. I would pass, I dont think you ever own your site.
JBM is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #71
Pro
 
carlsore's Avatar
 
Trade: Internet Marketer
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 560

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
As a quick experiment, - - I googled 'Nevada home builder', - - and checked every site in the left-hand column, including the ads at the top.

There were a total of 13 sites in that column, - - only ONE was wordpress, - - all the rest were html.

The wordpress one was about 10th in line . . .
A quick glance shows some pretty impressive backlink profiles for the top ranked sites.

You are looking at one metric in an algorithm that considers 200 different factors several of which are quite a bit more important than the platform your site is built with.
carlsore is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #72
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFeller View Post
So you're talking about Google Local results, not SERP's. I see.

Whether or not you show up in the magic 7 has precious little to do with the platform on which your site is built.

But, in the long run, this probably isn't serving anyone so I'm going to go watch a movie with my kids.

Have a good one.
There are a few builders in the organics. It doesnt matter if there is a builder in the lot or not, you can see the competition to be on the page is tough for that term.
JBM is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #73
Pro
 
carlsore's Avatar
 
Trade: Internet Marketer
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 560

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


The top website for that Nevada Home Builder search is Pardee homes. They have 605 unique domains pointing backlinks to them with many high quality authoritative sites. The Wordpress site has only 126 referring domains. This is a very significant difference in terms of who ranks where for what keyword.
carlsore is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #74
Pro
 
Tom R's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,858
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
The top website for that Nevada Home Builder search is Pardee homes. They have 605 unique domains pointing backlinks to them with many high quality authoritative sites. The Wordpress site has only 126 referring domains. This is a very significant difference in terms of who ranks where for what keyword.
Point taken, - - but the designer/developer of the Pardee Homes website could have had those same numbers of banklinks from the same places with a Wordpress platform, - - yet they chose HTML.

And of all the sites that got on page one, - - all but one chose HTML as their way to get there . . .
Tom R is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #75
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


That builder is also multi state, they are essentially a big brand builder. I would defer to Carl's expertise but for multi state builders with 50-100k worth of website stuff plus their own marketing team Wordpress might not be the way to go for that.

but what do I know, it could be a Wix site....
JBM is online now  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #76
Pro
 
carlsore's Avatar
 
Trade: Internet Marketer
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 560

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Point taken, - - but the designer/developer of the Pardee Homes website could have had those same numbers of banklinks from the same places with a Wordpress platform, - - yet they chose HTML.
That is a very robust website that is in a custom CMS. If the Wordpress site had the same backlink profile they'd be right at the top too.

Quote:
And of all the sites that got on page one, - - all but one chose HTML as their way to get there . .
Your statement is based on your assumptions about rank and how a site gets there not taking into consideration the individual site/functionality requirements of the business. Some businesses might require site functionality that would be difficult to accomplish with Wordpress.

There are many more variables that should influence this decision.
carlsore is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #77
Pro
 
Tom R's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,858
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


My 'experiment' was not on a search of my own choosing, - - I can only base my 'assumptions' on the facts at hand . . .
Tom R is offline  
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #78
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 7,565
Rewards Points: 7,886

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
My 'experiment' was not on a search of my own choosing, - - I can only base my 'assumptions' on the facts at hand . . .
Yeah it was in response to someone saying they see small sites in the top serps positions. I was pointing out that small sites dont stand a chance when the professionals show up.
JBM is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
Tom R (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #79
Pro
 
Tom R's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,858
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Yeah it was in response to someone saying they see small sites in the top serps positions. I was pointing out that small sites dont stand a chance when the professionals show up.
And a good point it was. I just went in a slightly different direction with it, on a whim . . .
Tom R is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
JBM (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #80
Pro
 
carlsore's Avatar
 
Trade: Internet Marketer
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Qualicum Beach BC
Posts: 515
Rewards Points: 560

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?


Quote:
I would defer to Carl's expertise but for multi state builders with 50-100k worth of website stuff plus their own marketing team Wordpress might not be the way to go for that.
I am not disputing that a multi-state builder (or any business) with 50-100k for a website would be better suited with a custom CMS. They should let their website requirements dictate the platform choice not some random anonymous poster on the WarriorForum (Toms reference). I've been a member there for 10 years.

You could yell "off page" around here till you're blue in the face and I don't think anyone (aside a tiny handful) will grasp it's importance in ranking.

Advertisement

carlsore is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just seen a review i made in festool catalog BCConstruction General Discussion 14 03-24-2013 03:57 PM
Website Design Jaime G Websites and SEO 10 02-26-2013 06:11 PM
I Just made some website changes - Opinions? Flatrooferstl Websites and SEO 0 01-30-2010 02:14 AM
In need of a good website template for drywall AARC Drywall Drywall 0 09-29-2008 11:01 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?