I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?

Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Trade: Painting and Decorating
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?

Hey there, I just finished with my website that I made using a template, what do you think? any advice on how to make it better in terms of search engine optimization?

thanks for your input.

Empire Pro

www.empirepropainting.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 570

Re: I Made My Website Out Of A Template- Any Insight On How It Looks?

On my iPhone the top is all misaligned and on the first picture the green lettering is very hard to read.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #3

thanks, Im going to work on that, but my hosting/template provider updates and controls how pages/websites show on mobile phones, i guess i have to send them a message and find out what can they do to fix that.

thank you so much for your input.

have a great day!

Gerardo Silva
Empire Pro Painting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpirePro View Post
thanks, Im going to work on that, but my hosting/template provider updates and controls how pages/websites show on mobile phones, i guess i have to send them a message and find out what can they do to fix that.

thank you so much for your input.

have a great day!

Gerardo Silva
Empire Pro Painting
Try WIX. They have a editor whereas your mobile is viewable and some content hidden. Cheap.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Carpenter

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 92

Nice website. Looks like you do good work. My only advice would be to put up more pictures - especially residential. It's very user friendly which is important. Good luck!!

Lee
Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpirePro View Post
Hey there, I just finished with my website that I made using a template, what do you think? any advice on how to make it better in terms of search engine optimization?

thanks for your input.

Empire Pro

It looks like a template
It was user friendly, visually ok,I liked the colors---all points I would expect from a painter.
Personally?- I was annoyed by the pop-up on the right hand side of the screen-especially while it was moving around.

also?------------ I would like to se more pictures,more pictures,more pictures,more pictures...... but that is just me.

the big thing to me is----- I would suggest you have someone proof read your text and make some adjustments to your phrasing

for example, on the "About Us" page-----------
" our experience and constant learning on new products"- could be phrased better. you are probably trying to imply that you are both experienced and up-to-date----, but it can also come across as ""we might be testing out some un-proven stuff on your house!"

Also, I think
" our professionalism and THE quality of painting materials THAT we use....... would read better.

seriously---- for $50 you can get the English Major working as a barrista at the local Starbucks to tweak your text a bit. I usually run my stuff by at least 2 other people.

all in all, needs some minor work, but a nice job overall.
Best wishes,
stephen
Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

Trade: Remodeler turned Marketer
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofcheck View Post
Try WIX. They have a editor whereas your mobile is viewable and some content hidden. Cheap.
It IS Wix. And they're notoriously flimsy when it comes to SEO.

But you can follow the directions here: http://www.wix.com/support/main/html...bsite-seo-mind

And improve the usage of keywords in your FAQ.

Also, it doesn't work at all on mobile. That should be a higher priority than SEO, in my opinion. Enter the url here: http://iphonetester.com/
Old 03-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFeller
It IS Wix. And they're notoriously flimsy when it comes to SEO. But you can follow the directions here: http://www.wix.com/support/main/html...bsite-seo-mind And improve the usage of keywords in your FAQ. Also, it doesn't work at all on mobile. That should be a higher priority than SEO, in my opinion. Enter the url here: http://iphonetester.com/
Lol great. So the iPhone tester site don't work on my iPhone. Perhaps they should run their site through a iPhone tester site.
HandyFeller (03-15-2014), Tom R (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Definitely looks like a template and not a very good one. The first thing that grabbed my attention is the wasted screen real estate at the top. I'm a firm believer in good use of "white space" but that is way overboard.

I didn't dig into the code but I did a quick test in a couple additional browsers after seeing the comments so far and your layout is all over the place. There's no allowance for older browsers so most of your content is unavailable if some retiree who didn't upgrade visits your site. Without confirming your code, the evidence suggests that browser resets were not used. That is a bit technical but what it means is sloppy programing that allows every browser to do as it pleases which makes your site layout very unreliable. Browser resets force all browsers to zero out so you get to control the behavior.

Find a theme or template that uses either HTML5 Boilerplate or Bootstrap and you'll be in far better shape. StudioPress themes for WP are recommended and very well designed. The demos though are somewhat bland because they're intended to be customized. Review the Showcase examples to get a better idea of each theme's potential. I am most definitely not a fan of Wix. This is all too typical of the junk I see from them.

I don't want to seem too harsh, it's really the bogus product you were working with. Had you used something that isn't a hamster on a treadmill under the hood you'd be getting better results.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
On my iPhone the top is all misaligned and on the first picture the green lettering is very hard to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFeller View Post
Also, it doesn't work at all on mobile. That should be a higher priority than SEO, in my opinion. Enter the url here: http://iphonetester.com/
Something maybe wrong with your phone...
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Definitely looks like a template and not a very good one. The first thing that grabbed my attention is the wasted screen real estate at the top. I'm a firm believer in good use of "white space" but that is way overboard.

I didn't dig into the code but I did a quick test in a couple additional browsers after seeing the comments so far and your layout is all over the place. There's no allowance for older browsers so most of your content is unavailable if some retiree who didn't upgrade visits your site. Without confirming your code, the evidence suggests that browser resets were not used. That is a bit technical but what it means is sloppy programing that allows every browser to do as it pleases which makes your site layout very unreliable. Browser resets force all browsers to zero out so you get to control the behavior.

Find a theme or template that uses either HTML5 Boilerplate or Bootstrap and you'll be in far better shape. StudioPress themes for WP are recommended and very well designed. The demos though are somewhat bland because they're intended to be customized. Review the Showcase examples to get a better idea of each theme's potential. I am most definitely not a fan of Wix. This is all too typical of the junk I see from them.

I don't want to seem too harsh, it's really the bogus product you were working with. Had you used something that isn't a hamster on a treadmill under the hood you'd be getting better results.
I don't usually agree with these guys as they always have one intention and that is to sell themselves, but I agree with this pretty much 100%.

Too much space.

Your name is not prominent.

Put your license number at the bottom.

The phone number on the right is disjointed and frankly I would get rid of the 888 number. Local numbers are much better unless you are a national chain with multiple locations across different area codes. And even then I would use a local number that is routed. But that's just my 2 cents.

I also agree that the appt pop up is annoying. Get rid of the subscription form as well as the schedule form. All that you need is the Free Estimate form.

Nothing on your Home page jumps out at me saying we are unique. Nothing is pulling me in to want to use you.

And more pics, more pics, more pics. The interior pic looks so bland and dull. You are a painter get some really nice pics of color and design incorporated so that your audience can envision their home, not just a wall.

For what it's worth I applaud your effort and your desire to want to have a web presence. Keep it up and read, read, read on how to improve it from here.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

Thanks, Im working on resizing my pics and publishing on my website, I appreciate every comment, that helps me see what I dont. thanks again!

Gerardo Silva
Empire Pro Painting
Old 03-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #13

great point! I'll work on that, I just need to find that guy in starbucks . thanks for your input.

have a great day!

Gerardo Silva
Empire Pro Painting
Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Pro

Last edited by Roofcheck; 03-15-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofcheck View Post
Didn't want the site to get ripped on?
Old 03-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
He probably did have second thoughts about wading into shark-infested waters, - - but actually it didn't look too bad at all, - - just needed a lot of work to get finished . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
Roofcheck (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
Pro

www.roofprovt.com
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

I must have got sidetracked or something, - - it's actually more done than I thought. Still room for plenty of pages yet, - - but I think it's off to a pretty damn good start!! Real nice contrast on the colors . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom R For This Useful Post:
Roofcheck (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
No, I like to contribute here and it's not done- I'm ready for whatever!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roofcheck For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (03-15-2014), Tom R (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

the information is all over the place...it doesn't look like something a homeowner can figure out quickly....

also you don't have a nice logo/name at the top...its just something you typed in....makes you look like you did your own website

my 1st website cost me $500....never got me 1 job
2nd one was $1,500....got me $7-10k a year
new one was $5,500...gets me daily calls...$7k A MONTH

I wish I would have spent what it took from day 1....instead I threw away $500 and then $1,500........my new website still has its issues, but it paid for itself in 2 weeks

get a professional website...pay whatever it takes...go into debt....it will pay you back 10-20x!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going cheap and doing it yourself = $0 in return....

Advertisement