I Called Yesterday And Was Unable To Get A Hold Of You - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

I Called Yesterday And Was Unable To Get A Hold Of You

Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,334

Funny since I wake up every so often with a rather large number of emails from customers.

Usually most are just making me aware of whatever is the new announcement or promotion of the day. So today I got just about twenty.

Lead Gen and Advertising companies love to send out blanket emails along the lines of "I called yesterday and was unable to get a hold of you, but I wanted to make sure we connected directly on this."

But some tell me "they did not get any calls from the Lead Gen Company" since they were in the office all day.

I wonder how a relationship can start when the opening sentence is a fib?

Oh, I stand corrected, a relationship will usually last longer than the trial periods they offer, so perhaps no one cares about the word anymore ....

So to the Lead Gen & Advertising folk who are mass blasting contractors, how about saying something more appropriate along the lines of "I wanted to call to annoy you yesterday while you were working, didn't want to hear your verbally abusive words at me, so I decided to bother you via email instead."
tedanderson (11-18-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 90

Re: I Called Yesterday And Was Unable To Get A Hold Of You

That sounds reasonable on your part.

Now, just to be the persnickety douche bag that I am, they should have phrased it as " I called yesterday BUT was unable to get ahold of you".

"ahold" would still be correct even though the word is considered to be informal.

Andy.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (11-18-2015), MOTB (11-17-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Funny since I wake up every so often with a rather large number of emails from customers.

Usually most are just making me aware of whatever is the new announcement or promotion of the day. So today I got just about twenty.

Lead Gen and Advertising companies love to send out blanket emails along the lines of "I called yesterday and was unable to get a hold of you, but I wanted to make sure we connected directly on this."

But some tell me "they did not get any calls from the Lead Gen Company" since they were in the office all day.

Oh, I stand corrected, a relationship will usually last longer than the trial periods they offer, so perhaps no one cares about the word anymore ....

So to the Lead Gen & Advertising folk who are mass blasting contractors, how about saying something more appropriate along the lines of "I wanted to call to annoy you yesterday while you were working, didn't want to hear your verbally abusive words at me, so I decided to bother you via email instead."
I am not exaggerating when I say I was on the phone today with customers and no less than 15 of those annoying machines called and caused me to rush to end my conversations with customers. I see why businesses force customers make selections before the business will put a live person on the phone. The telephone soliciting is so bad I should hire one more person to answer our phones so we can spend more peaceful time on the phone with our customers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

I occasionally attend workshops that teach lead generation and one thing that people are teaching these days is to create email subjects that make people want to open your email.

The mindset centers around, "getting their attention" but if they start out by saying, "They just took your mother away in an ambulance!" you'll get my attention but whatever it is you're selling me is the furthest thing from my mind.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Easyfier of Complexitries

Trade: Framing Components
Rewards Points: 1,552

Quote:

To be fair, if they DID call, they would not be able to get ahold of me.

And while I'm not usually verbally abusive, I'm very unfriendly.

And email does not preclude the above response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Trump is lucky he didn't mess with me.
http://www.digiconsoo.com
Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 1,521

Probably because I didn't recognize the number and won't pick them up and you didn't leave a message even though my machine asked nicely for you to do so. So tell me....why shouldn't I think you are spam?
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 11-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post
I occasionally attend workshops that teach lead generation and one thing that people are teaching these days is to create email subjects that make people want to open your email.

The mindset centers around, "getting their attention" but if they start out by saying, "They just took your mother away in an ambulance!" you'll get my attention but whatever it is you're selling me is the furthest thing from my mind.
One of the worst things my company does not do is we should be collecting our customer's email addresses and we should send them an email maybe 2 to 3 times per year to thank them for their business, to offer specials, etc. but the subject should be honest. Sending an email with a professional email sender has to be the cheapest and easiest way to advertise. I don't mind receiving email advertising from businesses we do business with. Although, sometimes, I purchase something online and I start getting 2 to 3 emails every day. That is annoying. On the other hand, sometimes, like when I purchase some rain sprinkler equipment on line it is nice to get email advertising from that company because it helps me to remember what company to go to when I need something and would have forgotten about the company had I not receiver the email advertising. Same goes for my customers.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
One of the worst things my company does not do is we should be collecting our customer's email addresses and we should send them an email maybe 2 to 3 times per year to thank them for their business, to offer specials, etc. but the subject should be honest.
You just reminded me to say Happy Thanksgiving and Thanks to my customers. But before I do that next week, I wanted to thank you for the reminder to me
CompleteW&D (11-18-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 PM   #9

Happened to have some fun and just wanted to share ... I for some reason have been getting solicitations, and my instinct is I am somehow on a contractor list by mistake.

So what I do is call and leave a message saying "Hey, it's me just trying to reach you about my marketing budget and will call back again since I can't speak during the day while on the job".

I know they jump on the phone in the morning when the little light is blinking ... and of course I *67 so it drives them crazy when they don't know who it is.

Things must be desperate when they are calling the very person who spends times educating about what goes on under the sheets with those businesses. A little entertainment can't hurt.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Raygar1972

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post

Absolutely. Eventually that stuff wears off anyway and just damages your brand. You all have seen the "She looked up and what she saw next was amazing..." titles for articles, right? I just ignore them every time now because the first few didn't deliver the expected experience after clicking on them.

Just have appropriate titles in your email. You click rate may go down but you may find your conversion rate was higher, ie with a misleading title you had 50 people open your email and 1 person buy, with your honest title, you only had 20 opens but 3 sales/service calls/whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeImprovementGuy For This Useful Post:
tedanderson (12-23-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

Are we seriously discussing email marketing in 2015? Who opens an email from a stranger these days? I'd like to see real evidence of someone buying lists and spamming the crap out of strangers and generating business. Call me crazy but I think it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, my company emails all clients to check in at the 3, 6 and 9 month mark to see how everything is going. It's helped generate some service calls and new business.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
On the other hand, my company emails all clients to check in at the 3, 6 and 9 month mark to see how everything is going. It's helped generate some service calls and new business.
Smart ... and something to consider is to create a new landing page on your website to talk about something new, whether showing off a new project, etc., and then link to just that page when you send the email. Many times people see the same thing and like to hit click to see something fresh. But SMART either way for staying in contact with your customers.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 668

Creating a page showcasing your work should be done for SEO purposes only Not for email spamming IMO.

My installers take before and after pictures and get a hand written customer satisfaction survey at the end of every job.

Right now I'm showcasing this on my company FB page and plan to make a separate web page for every job, once my new website goes live. There's going to be a few hundred project pages added to my site, each one will target a particular set of relevant keywords in the geographic location the job was completed. I don't have any evidence that this will help with SEO but I'm fairly certain it will.

I'll post a thread once my site is finished and I've uploaded a few of these pages myself.

Back to email marketing. I hate spam! I only allow a few companies to send me email offers. One of them is my accountant. He sends out a weekly email newsletter template offering his services and other useless silly information. It's gotten to the point that I don't even read it and has become a nuisance.

This man is a personal friend, I've talked to him about it and he admits that it doesn't bring him new business. Why does he do it? He read an article a year ago about how others are generating tons of new business sending emails. He was convinced, he signed up and now pays that company hundreds of dollars a year to spam his customers.

I know what his company can offer me, sending me a weekly reminder is just silly IMO. On the other hand, if he scaled it back to monthly or quarterly emails reserved for making important announcements I'm sure his results would be better.

That's just my 2 cents on the subject, I may be wrong though.

Last edited by lawndart; 12-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawndart For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
So what I do is call and leave a message saying "Hey, it's me just trying to reach you about my marketing budget and will call back again since I can't speak during the day while on the job".

I know they jump on the phone in the morning when the little light is blinking ... and of course I *67 so it drives them crazy when they don't know who it is.
Exactly. They say, "Uh.. so.. uhmm.. I'm returning your call...Mister....mister...uhhhhhh......."
Old 02-10-2016, 03:37 AM   #15

Trade: General Tradesman
Rewards Points: 62

Spammers should be totally ignored. Until these email spammers give up
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #16
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcon5 View Post
Spammers should be totally ignored. Until these email spammers give up
Too bad the sewer that new ones will take their place in has and endless supply of bowel movements adding to it.

Advertisement