How To Reach Out To Older Customers - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

How To Reach Out To Older Customers

Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Insulation and Weatherization
Rewards Points: 220

How To Reach Out To Older Customers

Just looking to strike up a little more work as the warmer season creeps up on us. I was going very strong, and took on some extra help. Now, I have 2 experienced guys that are great and 2 helpers for them, and they are pushing themselves out of work. I am truly looking to keep these guys busy and moving!

I have quite a list of previous customers, dating all the way back to 2002 before I was even licensed and out on my own for business(come on, we ALL picked up the weekend side jobs at some point!!!). However, since then, I have expanded my services greatly and I am looking to reach out to these clients.

What would you recommend to yield the best results? This is anywhere from 10-40 clients a month for the last 10 years. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to outsource this project to another body(either a company or new hire), or handle it myself? If anybody has done something like this before, how long did it take to complete and what was your return? keep in mind, I am also offering alot of new options that I didn't early on, such as waterproofing, methane and radon remediation, energy audits, energy choice, referral program, and comprehensive airsealing.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Re: How To Reach Out To Older Customers

Past customers are always the best source of new projects. Either through additional work or referrals. However, you really need to keep in touch with customers so they don't forget who you are.

Here are a few methods I have used:

Social media (FaceBook, Twitter, Linked-In etc.)
Email newsletters
Direct mail
Annual holiday cards
Blogging
Simply calling them on the phone

Advertisement

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

5 easy questions ...................

1. Are you pleased with the results of our service?

2. Why did you choose Magic Exterior Cleaning / Magic Pool Services?

3. Would you recommend our service to others?

4. That’s good news! From what you told me, it sounds like you had a great experience. Would you like a free gas card for writing a brief testimonial?

5. One last question, you told me you would recommend our services to others. We do strive to keep our prices affordable by using “word of mouth” advertising; do you know anyone that may benefit from our service?
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicPoolSvcs For This Useful Post:
NEFoamer (04-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Nest Home Improvement

Trade: Home improvement simplified!
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPoolSvcs View Post
5 easy questions ...................

1. Are you pleased with the results of our service?

2. Why did you choose Magic Exterior Cleaning / Magic Pool Services?

3. Would you recommend our service to others?

4. That’s good news! From what you told me, it sounds like you had a great experience. Would you like a free gas card for writing a brief testimonial?

5. One last question, you told me you would recommend our services to others. We do strive to keep our prices affordable by using “word of mouth” advertising; do you know anyone that may benefit from our service?
Excellent list here!

Serving the home improvement needs of the Triangle www.NestHomeImprovement.com
Old 04-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 25

Your time is worth a lot as the owner of the company. I would utilize someone who you can pay a much lower hourly rate for doing this task than you should be earning yourself.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Profit Booster

Trade: Complete Fill-In-The-Blanks Contractor Marketing
Rewards Points: 10

You have your customer list. I would send out a simple letter saying...

"Hello its _____ from _________ you may not of heard from us in a while but we are currently (insert your offer here, make it a great irresistible offer that gets the phone to ring you can then use up-sells to increase the project value).

As a valued customer we wanted to give you first opportunity to take advantage of this great promotional offer, as it is only available this month and we can only take on ( x number of) jobs."

You get the point.

Don't just send out a one shot mailing though. That list you have is one of the most valuable assets in your business. Communicate with them consistently. Be friendly and informative but always include a compelling offer in each communication.

I assume you do great work and your past customers know,trust and like you. If so that list could keep you very bus for a long time if you cultivate it well.

Last edited by JamesBrine; 04-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Profit Booster

Trade: Complete Fill-In-The-Blanks Contractor Marketing
Rewards Points: 10

Just one more quick thought you could also send out a little booklet that explains the risk and potential cost of not getting proper insulation and weatherization and offer to come out and do a free audit.

Advertisement

Last edited by JamesBrine; 04-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.