How Do I Use Ppc - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

How Do I Use Ppc

Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Trade: Home renovation contractor
Rewards Points: 65

How Do I Use Ppc

Has anyone used google Ppc champagnes? If so do they work, and how do you use them? I had a company run champagnes for me and it did nothing.
Thank you,
Rob

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Money Maker

Trade: New Home Builder
Rewards Points: 624

Re: How Do I Use Ppc

I haven't tried it but what your talking about sounds yummy as long as it's not cheap.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

You can get all the clicks in the world but if they don't land the prospective customer on a compelling page you'll never convert to sales. Show us where the clicks were landing, for what keywords. What is your web site and what keywords were you using?
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #4

This is my site www.abmandson.com footbridge did all the work and did two Ppc campaigns that did nothing for me :/
Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Pro

It's ridiculously easy to get clicks - you pick some common keywords, and you pay your money, and the clicks will happen. It's that simple; there's no secret sauce.

What were your PPC campaigns - exactly what keywords and what geographic limitations? Where did the clicks land? What kind of business were you trying to get, and how did the PPC campaign and web site work together to get that business? If you don't know the answer to those questions, then you should figure out the answers, and find out what the campaign was, so that the next time you're not just throwing good money after bad.

Did the same vendor do your web site as did the PPC campaign?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,458

I would take the special low pricing off the website. Your going for classy not nascar. Red is a color that signals danger eating aggression and winning. Are those those the impressions you want to send. I would read some articles about color and maybe change the color scheme. In general higher end clientele and especially boomers like subtle notes of color instead of bold. If your website doesnt catch their eye they will unconsciously assume that your work wont either.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
I would take the special low pricing off the website. Your going for classy not nascar. Red is a color that signals danger eating aggression and winning. Are those those the impressions you want to send. I would read some articles about color and maybe change the color scheme. In general higher end clientele and especially boomers like subtle notes of color instead of bold. If your website doesnt catch their eye they will unconsciously assume that your work wont either.
Those are good points, but of course you don't have to go for classy - maybe your target market is cheap and trashy. In either case, the ad has to set up the viewers' expectations in some way, and the web page that the click takes them to has to meet that expectation.

I remain curious - exactly what search terms would have produced an ad (with what text) that would have landed the user on what page?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 586

Your Footbridge site was never designed to be promoted on PPC. For a good PPC campaign you need to concentrate on the services that make you the most money and then you need to develop highly relevant and immediately actionable "landing pages" around those keywords.

Your website pages are not PPC landing pages.

BIG DIFFERENCE

Pay-Per-Click advertising is a great way to get laser targeted traffic, however... It's probably one of the toughest Internet Marketing skills to master for someone with little to no Pay-Per-Click experience.

Google and Yahoo/Bing will HAPPILY take your money in return for the traffic they deliver you but it's YOUR responsibility to make sure the traffic (you are paying for) actually converts into profit for you.

When contractors are spending anywhere from $3.00 to $15.00 or more per click (yes, that is just for ONE click) it's in your best interest to squeeze every ounce of ROI you can out of this traffic and to do that you either need to hire someone who really knows what they are doing OR you need to learn how the system works.

So how do we do it?

First you need to understand how Google Adwords works. It's not necessarily the highest bidder wins. It's the most relevant and attractive advertiser that is going to win.

Google calculates your ad position and your cost-per-click based on a few different metrics that you actually have a certain amount of control over.

The most important of which is your click through rate and your quality score.

Click through rate (CTR) is how many people have clicked your ad compared to the total number of impressions (people who viewed your ad).

So if your ad was seen 100 times and clicked only 4 times you have a click through rate (CTR) of 4%.

Quality Score is something Google's algorithm calculates based on the relevancy of your landing page to the keywords you are targeting.

So if your keyword is "asphalt roof replacement" and your landing page talks about "roof replacement" but not specifically "asphalt roofing" then you'd get a lower quality score then a page that was all about asphalt roofing replacement.

If there was one thing any adwords advertiser needs to understand it's the importance of being RELEVANT. Being relevant will take care of your Quality Score and you can refine the CTR further using a method described below called A/B split testing.

How do you become the most relevant and attractive advertiser?

#1. Understanding how micro-targeting works.

You are a roofing contractor. You sell roofing, siding and gutters. You follow the Google setup wizard and start a small adwords campaign targeting keywords for siding, roofing and gutters and you point all the traffic to your homepage.

FAIL.....

We use search engines to find exactly what we are looking for. So as an adwords advertiser you must understand how to deliver a relevant user experience to your potential customers.

If you were a roofing contractor and you sold roofing, siding and gutters. A better solution would be to create a new page on your website (a landing page) for each of those services.

a landing page for roofing
a landing page for siding
a landing page for gutters

Now you have the platform to create an individual adwords campaign targeting each service. But that list is still not perfect and could be broken down even further for finer targeting.

Roofing for example can be broken down into several different services
-asphalt roofing
-metal roofing
-tile roofing
-roof repairs
-shingle replacement
-roofing inspections

Targeted landing pages can be created for EACH service. This gives you very relevant pages to deliver your traffic to and thus increases your Quality Score and conversions as well.

#2. Understanding How A/B Split Testing Works

A/B what the f#%#?? A/B split testing is basically testing two different advertising creatives against your traffic using a script (happening behind the scenes).

You could test two different adwords ads against each other
You could test two different landing pages against each other
You could test two different headlines against each other
You could test two different videos or images against each other

The results of your testing will reveal which variation was the better performer and allows you to make educated changes to your lead generation funnel to improve the performance and hopefully lower costs.

A/B split testing is a very powerful way to increase the results you are getting from your existing traffic, especially PPC traffic.

So here is an example of a well thought out PPC campaign.

We are a roofer and we are targeting the keyword "roof repair"

#1. Develop a landing page all about Roof Repair.
- Roof Repair must be in your headline.
- include several photos or a video about roof repair.
- include a bulleted list about roof repairs you offer.
- include a few links to roof repair articles on your site.
- at least three (3) Calls-to-action on the page.

#2. Setup your Adwords Campaign
- target the keyword [roof repair] and "roof repair" (use the [] and "" variations ONLY)
- create at least TWO ads for the campaign (A/B split testing)
- mention "roof repair" in your Google ad (twice if you can)

Ad example

Expert Roof Repair
Roof Repair in XYZ City
Get A Roof Repair Estimate
www.roofingrepaircompany.com/roof-repairs

Because the above ad is relevant to roof repair and we're delivering the visitors to a landing page about roof repair we are RELEVANT to our targeted keyword of "roof repair".

Following this formula (for any keyword service you offer) will bring up your Quality Score to at least 7-10 and your CTR will continue to improve as you monitor the actual ads and continue testing different variations (A/B split testing).

How Much Should You Budget?

You won't get anywhere with PPC being cheap. If you're hanging around the back of the pack you won't get the traffic you need to generate the metrics you need to improve performance.

Generally it's a good idea to set a monthly budget between $300- $3000+ for a a contractor. It really depends on your profit margin for the service you are promoting and how much you are willing to spend to acquire a customer.

Be careful out there!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
BrianKiernan (08-07-2014), CarpenterSFO (08-06-2014), Creter (08-20-2014), elecbysullivan (08-13-2014), George Z (08-09-2014), JBM (08-06-2014), Sir Mixalot (08-12-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,850

Why dont you just rank for the keywords you want to use in your PPC champagnes?
Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
Those are good points, but of course you don't have to go for classy - maybe your target market is cheap and trashy. In either case, the ad has to set up the viewers' expectations in some way, and the web page that the click takes them to has to meet that expectation.

I remain curious - exactly what search terms would have produced an ad (with what text) that would have landed the user on what page?
Design build and low end would be a weird combo. I chose orange tones because its warm but also is supposed to signify value or inexpensive. I dont chase designers and architects. Maybe theres more money there but my sanity has a value too. Homeowners are just easier to control, I mean work with.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Design build and low end would be a weird combo. I chose orange tones because its warm but also is supposed to signify value or inexpensive. I dont chase designers and architects. Maybe theres more money there but my sanity has a value too. Homeowners are just easier to control, I mean work with.
I agree; I was just generalizing your point that you have to tailor the site to your target market.

I agree about not chasing designers and architects.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Shelburne Reno

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 32

Great points above. One other thing with PPC is keyword match. Google sets you up with "broad match" which can really effect your CTR and ROI.

This link explains all the matches.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

I like to use something called a "modified broad match" and target key words like this.

Remodeling Contractor +in

In that example my ad will show for the term.... Remodeling contractor in new haven

But not for just the term..... Remodeling Contractor

The word "in" must be included in the search and I get a better CTR and a more targeted Click which could turn into a lead. My thought is if you use the word "in", that is a local search term and a buyer keyword as opposed to a browser keyword like "Remodeling Ideas"

The word "in" typically precedes a town or city in the keywords I target. Most customers realize the more targeted their search the better results they will get.

Remodeling Contractor is a good keyword also but I only use as a "phrase match" and "exact match"

I think PPC is a great lead generator and I have gotten many quality leads. I am in the process of a total overhaul of my website and believe landing pages are the best way to go on ppc. Not only from a Google quality score but from getting that click to perform your target action for the page.
Creter (08-20-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #13

Hey guys,

thanks for all the insight. i think i'm going to spend some weekend nights reading up on ppc ad seo. i feel like every time i find a company for seo/ppc they just rip me off(i mean i should be getting results after 1.5 yrs)! i guess the best way for me is to read & learn thank you guys! I really appreciate your time! Also, do any of you have insights to what books i should read, or helpful links?

sincerely,

rob

Last edited by abmremodel; 08-09-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Consulting
Rewards Points: 31

Please note, it's not as easy as this. In theory, but not in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
It's ridiculously easy to get clicks - you pick some common keywords, and you pay your money, and the clicks will happen. It's that simple; there's no secret sauce.
Here is a good starting point to learn from... and it's free. They would ultimately like you to buy their service, but you can just take advantage of the knowledge.

http://www.wordstream.com/learn

Oh, and a side note... It's campaigns not champagnes
Old 08-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJon View Post
Please note, it's not as easy as this. In theory, but not in practice.

Here is a good starting point to learn from... and it's free. They would ultimately like you to buy their service, but you can just take advantage of the knowledge.

http://www.wordstream.com/learn

Oh, and a side note... It's campaigns not champagnes
I have been using (renting) the Wordstream software for couple years now.
I am doing most of it myself with the occasional training session.
Their cost is about $300 but my Quality Score is over 6 and getting better.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

I was in the same exact position as you. I had a footbridge site and they ran an adwords campaign as well. My site wasnt designed to run ads to my sites pages efficiently. I had two months where i wasnt getting much in terms of quality leads and stopped. I had my site redesigned and ran a campaign myself much more efficiently for a couple of months. if you want alot more out of youre website invest in it first.
The Following User Says Thank You to vividpainting For This Useful Post:
abmremodel (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Pole Barn Builder
Rewards Points: 1,419

When your campaign works open a bottle of champagne and drink up
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleBarnsNY
When your campaign works open a bottle of champagne and drink up
Haha g1. Ur the 2nd one that noticed. Want a box of chocolates?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpainting
I was in the same exact position as you. I had a footbridge site and they ran an adwords campaign as well. My site wasnt designed to run ads to my sites pages efficiently. I had two months where i wasnt getting much in terms of quality leads and stopped. I had my site redesigned and ran a campaign myself much more efficiently for a couple of months. if you want alot more out of youre website invest in it first.
U redesign it yourself?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmremodel View Post
U redesign it yourself?
No, i dont do websites.

Advertisement