Houzz Advertising - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Houzz Advertising

Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

Houzz Advertising

Hi

Ok new guy here, anybody pay for advertising on houzz??? They called me, I was thinking about trying them out but they only do 12 month contracts. The contract turns me off about them, if the product is good why should there be a contract.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 574

Re: Houzz Advertising

I wouldn't do it... Last time I went through a Houzz presentation it was $300 a month and they couldn't tell us how much local traffic they were dealing with anyway. You can get great results from Houzz just by having a very good profile.

#1. Create FREE profile.
#2. Add lots of good quality project photos, take the time to fill out all the details they ask for on each project (important for their search algorithm).
#3. Collect customer reviews on your profile.

Rinse and repeat #2 and #3.

Carl

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 13,755

They call me constantly. So much so I ignore them now.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: Painter Decorator
Rewards Points: 76

Yeah - I've heard a lot about pest calls from these guys. Always trying to sell something else
Old 08-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 13,755

Now I have someone from Houzz saying that they've been trying to call me but can't seem to get through. Made a list of questions for me and then gave me a link to make an appointment. Sure are persistent. I made and account with them only because people kept sending me links and I couldn't see them fully without being a member. I was bored one night and through up a couple pics of a white kitchen and a couple pcs of furniture. Ever since those pics I have been called at least once a week.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 08-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #6

Trade: design/build
Rewards Points: 86

I've been on Houzz since 2014 and I've always stuck with the free profile. For my business Houzz has been a godsend...almost all my projects come from inquiries via this platform (I get 250+ inquiries annually). As long as you have lot of good photos and client reviews you should do just fine with a free profile.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/johnbh11/home-reborn
Old 08-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 32

Wow 250 a year is really good, great tip!
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
I wouldn't do it... Last time I went through a Houzz presentation it was $300 a month and they couldn't tell us how much local traffic they were dealing with anyway. You can get great results from Houzz just by having a very good profile.

#1. Create FREE profile.
#2. Add lots of good quality project photos, take the time to fill out all the details they ask for on each project (important for their search algorithm).
#3. Collect customer reviews on your profile.

Rinse and repeat #2 and #3.

Carl
Hi Carl,

There is a lot changing over there at Houzz, and obviously they are slowly changing towards how Angie's, Home Advisor, etc., use tactics to generate leads which they either sell under the umbrella of advertising and/or the eventual exclusive lead pricing club.

My suggestion to all people is, BEFORE placing your content on anyone else's site, first use the majority of it on your own website, Facebook, Instagram, etc., and optimize it too. And then, if compelled to place it somewhere else, ensure the number of pictures is LESS than what you used on your own site.

All these lead gen folk know how to optimize good and fast. That does not mean the content is always going to generate opportunities back to the contractors. Better to sprinkle a little in their direction while keeping the majority closer to the contractor's long term objectives. You can bet there will be changes over time that will simply increase the costs for a contractor to get the very leads they helped create.

And when it doubt, read their terms and conditions about how they "may" use the content, since eventually the word "may" will turn into "will". The word "Free" eventually comes full circle. It is smart on their part for people to get accustomed to getting things for Free, and they can make that go away at will, and then people may panic wondering what to do next. You can bet that will then turn into paid advertising.

Also, there will always be a handful of people in each territory who seem to get so much Free activity. Those people inadvertently spread the word to others, who are not so lucky at Free and then wind up paying. It is all part of the process of their business models.

Advertisement