Housing Market And Sales - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Housing Market And Sales

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Housing Market And Sales

Has anyone seen a retraction in business beacuse of it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Re: Housing Market And Sales

I talk frequently with buddies all around the country. We are all similar. Tons and tons of bids and customers are hesitant to pull the trigger. Not losing the jobs but not closing the sale either. If it wasnt for some long term networking connections and heavy marketing I would be in trouble.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Proprietor

Trade: TILE!
Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianNE View Post
Has anyone seen a retraction in business beacuse of it?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwork & More
talk frequently with buddies all around the country. We are all similar. Tons and tons of bids and customers are hesitant to pull the trigger. Not losing the jobs but not closing the sale either. If it wasnt for some long term networking connections and heavy marketing I would be in trouble.
Get a salesman who can close a sale.

Last edited by MattCoops; 04-28-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

ditto on Mattcoop's comment
Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Ultimate touch

Trade: General contractor, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Were always quick to say somthing about the guys sales skills. This could very well be true. What about the type of advertising or the leads source. Some people are the wrong prospects.

For example I went on a lot of estimates in areas where I would clearly say that they were not my prospect...my closing was low. I went on these estimates anyways and I have since dropped these zip codes from my lead source. You have to make sure your in front of the right people to make sales.
I was in a sales slump which I believe had a lot to do with crapy leads.
I have since sold my last 5 appointments and none were on the low side....just sold another one today
Old 04-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

This'll irritate a lot of people... but great marketing will replace a great salesperson any day...

it HAS to start with the marketing....
Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #7

Back to the original question -

Our company hasn't seen a slowdown yet, but there are going to be people out there feeling it.

I know of a deal that's taking place right now, for example. A company was developing 10-acre mini-farm estates. These are incredibly popular down here in Florida. A company buys a farm, cuts it up into 10-acre parcels, puts a fancy house and a small barn on it, and sells it as an equine estate.

The company went belly up. About 20 of maybe 100 parcels had been developed, but not fenced. I know about the property because a real estate acquisition company has purchased the development and contacted us to do the four board for the properties.

Funny thing, developers always think about the fence last.

My point is that one man's famine is another man's feast. We'll be ok, the company that wants us to fence is ok, but somewhere out there is a developer in a world of hurt. And all the subs that they employed, although when this acquisition company gets ahold of the property, things will get going again.

I think people are scared, like in 2001 when the stock market tanked. But remember by 2003 it was taking off again. People are afraid of losing money. But someone is always making money. Always.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration

That's one reason I didn't get into a high dollar trade business. Did 46jobs in April which is definitely up from last year..now that I am not out there slowing them down. My feeling is exactly as Susan stated, "one man's famine is another man's feast". If people are staying put, and they have equity in their property, they should want to remodel or maintain that property.

Maybe its feasible to capitalize on the slowing market by starting a marketing campaign to let people know, its not a bad thing for them and since they probably wouldn't want to move, why not make where they are as nice as it can be?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamionR View Post
great marketing will replace a great salesperson any day.
my thoughts exactly

Advertisement