Has Anyone Used Meetups Free Advertising With Any Success - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Has Anyone Used Meetups Free Advertising With Any Success

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Trade: Home Remodeling & Repair
Rewards Points: 10

Has Anyone Used Meetups Free Advertising With Any Success

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has tried using Meetup perks to advertise to Meetup groups with any success. If so what was the registration and or sign up process like? For those who may not be familiar with Meetup, itís an online networking sight where people form groups with like interest and meet up.

Currently they have an option for business to offer each group a perk or shall I say coupon of sorts. As of now advertising is free; however, I have heard in the future that they will be going to charge 5.00 per month per group you advertise with. At any rate, Iím thinking about signing up but the site doesnít give much information about the registration process. Iím thinking it would be good seeing as though some groups have thousands of members. Any insight in terms of success from someone who has advertised with them would be appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,004

Re: Has Anyone Used Meetups Free Advertising With Any Success

Have you tried Linkedin?

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #3

Currently I'm not a member of linkedin. Never joined after hearing from others in our industry didn't gain any new leads from using there platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
ConstructionMarketingPro

Trade: Marketer for Construction Companies/Contractors
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA-BEAR View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has tried using Meetup perks to advertise to Meetup groups with any success. If so what was the registration and or sign up process like? For those who may not be familiar with Meetup, itís an online networking sight where people form groups with like interest and meet up.

Currently they have an option for business to offer each group a perk or shall I say coupon of sorts. As of now advertising is free; however, I have heard in the future that they will be going to charge 5.00 per month per group you advertise with. At any rate, Iím thinking about signing up but the site doesnít give much information about the registration process. Iím thinking it would be good seeing as though some groups have thousands of members. Any insight in terms of success from someone who has advertised with them would be appreciated.
I've tried organizing meetings via Meetup in an attempt to network and gain exposure. While Meetup certainly has hordes of members, I found it very difficult to actually get people to attend the meetings.

Perhaps I'm not a great event planner
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA-BEAR View Post
Currently I'm not a member of linkedin. Never joined after hearing from others in our industry didn't gain any new leads from using there platform.
Personally I think marketing networks are a joke but they work for some.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Sales Connoisseur

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 75

Meetup Groups can be as good as you make them.

A major key to success - Don't expect instant results!

If you want instant results, your time would be better spent on marketing campaigns.

The real benefit of networking events are the contacts you make. It's about developing new relationships, and this doesn't happen over night!

Networking (really networking, not handing out cards at an event) require major dedication on your part. It's a dedication that most are not willing or able to give... However, those that do receive benefits beyond what any marketing campaign could ever provide.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Forgive me in advance as I am typing from my phone. Thanks for the input. However, its not my plan to join the group. Meetup has this option to offer a group a perk -discount or coupon. It was believed that this was to be a major revenue generator for them by allowing buisness owners the ability to advertise directly to a specific group.

From my research initially if you offered a group a perk that they would charge five dollars per group. Some business have already jumped in, as when you look at the group pages you can see there ads running. I havn't seen any contractors ads yet. I have reservations because meetup dose not do a good job disclosing all the ends and out of there program.When they initially rolled it they were in fact charging. However, they had problems working out some kinks and recently annouced that the ads would be free until further notice. Just figured I check the forum to see what others experiences were.

Advertisement

Last edited by SEA-BEAR; 04-30-2012 at 06:02 PM.