Has Anyone Used Direct-Mail RSVP - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Has Anyone Used Direct-Mail RSVP

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Window Treatments
Rewards Points: 3,804

Has Anyone Used Direct-Mail RSVP

They claim that 84% open RSVP and over half go online to research that company. However, hasn't online basically made Direct Mail obsolete.

http://rsvppublications.com/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Has Anyone Used Direct-Mail RSVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc56
They claim that 84% open RSVP and over half go online to research that company. However, hasn't online basically made Direct Mail obsolete.

http://rsvppublications.com/
Direct mail is far from obsolete ....

Advertisement

fjn (02-08-2015)
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,478

I put out 5000 high res. postcards three times in two week intervals. That's a total of 15000 postcards to 5000 targeted addresses. I got one call. I will never do it again. It was an expensive learning experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
I put out 5000 high res. postcards three times in two week intervals. That's a total of 15000 postcards to 5000 targeted addresses. I got one call. I will never do it again. It was an expensive learning experience.
Your doing it wrong then. I sign half a million plus some years from direct mail. And its not a bunch of small jobs. Just signed a 250k job from direct mail.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
you are definitely doing it wrong.
We have expanded our direct mail program every year since we began sending out post cards

this year we will send out approx. 3 times the post cards we sent last year

Stephen
Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,646

I agree with Mike, I had the same outcome a while back when I obtained a few zip-code areas and send out the mailings.

I also had a billboard on the busy HWY, was the same thing.

I guess they work differently for a different trade. I think they would be more productive for HVAC, Plumbing and Roofing trades more than Carpentry trade, because these trades when something goes.i.e heating goes out, plumbing goes or roof leaks, it has to be done ASAP, so consumer is more responsive and if not an emergency, they tend to hold on to the flyer just in-case.

Carpentry on the other hand, if they don't needed it goes right in the garbage, and if they do needed most already have a preferred contractor, whether its someone local, or through recommendation for the most part.
Calidecks (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Window Treatments
Rewards Points: 3,804

Greg,

Good point... thanks for saving me some serious cash!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Your Smart Marketing Guru

Trade: Marketing Tips for Contractors Who Want Customers
Rewards Points: 82

I also agree that direct mails are not yet obsolete. There are a lot of businesses doing good by sending direct mails to their clients.

Direct mails won't be a waste of time, effort and money if done correctly. Like some have said here, maybe you're doing it wrong.

First of all, know who you're target clients are and have a list of their information. Next plan out when and how may times do you plan on sending out these mails. Most importantly, what should be in your direct mail.

Follo these 5 simple elements that should be in your direct mails to build your customers’ trust and communicate clearly to them who you are, what is your business and why do they need your services.

1. Attention-grabbing headline
It should not too long. You may want it to be in bold to capture more attention. Most importantly, clearly or specifically state why they need to read it or what products or services are you offering.

2. Images or Graphics
This should clearly and easily communicate and support the message.

3. Engaging color scheme
Have good color and contrast so that your mail will pop out and will make your customers read it.

4. Interesting and valuable content
This should continue what your headline started. Include benefits and what your offers are and have them into a bulleted form. And give your customers reasons to do the next steps.

If you can make it possible, always have your name or company name and logo because this increases your credibility as well as your customers’ trust.

Include a return address as well as contact information.

5. Call to action
Always include a “call to action” such as “call us today”, “visit our website”, etc.

By observing these points, you may be successful in increasing the open rate and reader engagement with direct mail.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Contractor Websites and Marketing
Rewards Points: 10

Direct mail is not dead yet. I'm getting a good response with newsletters. Have a nice newsletter designed, good graphics and professionally worded content. Sometimes I include a crossword puzzle based on the niche -- like all plumbing clues, or HVAC, etc -- and sometimes I hide something in the newsletter for them to find. And the first person that finds it, get's a free whatever or discount on something. For whatever reason, they tend to hang on to these a little longer and calls have come in.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 224

This company RSVP contacted me and sent me one of their nicely wrapped packages with all of their ads in them. I think its a great idea, but it only is sent out 4 times a year. With customers in my area receiving several publications each month I just don't think it would be an effective enough of a campaign. It may bw worth trying, all marketing is trial and error at first.

[COLOR=#009030]
http://straightedgepaintingllc.com
Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Clair View Post
I never think online has made direct mail obsolete. In fact, direct mail is more powerful and productive than emails. I have done a direct mailing campaign for my business ( magazine publishing ) in Toronto few months before. Troi mailing is the company I dealt with.
The mail targeted around 750 addresses in Toronto. And I was quite surprised to see the outcome of the campaign. Got very good response from the people out there.

And I agree with you ruskent. If he didn’t get a good response from direct mailing, then he must have done it wrong. Direct mailing is highly targeted and It will definitely bring you great result if done properly. The only thing is that you should hire a good company to do it for you.
Also, cjsewell has mentioned very good points on how to create a very good direct mail. It is really useful information. Keep those points in mind.
Direct mail campaigns suck.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Direct mail campaigns suck.

that may be YOUR opinion------- but it's simply not a true statement.

Our business is EXPLODING with work----all from direct mail and the referalls the direct mail customers generate.
when it's done well--- direst mail works wonders.
stephen
Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
that may be YOUR opinion------- but it's simply not a true statement.

Our business is EXPLODING with work----all from direct mail and the referalls the direct mail customers generate.
when it's done well--- direst mail works wonders.
stephen
That may be my opinion and yes it is a true statement. Because it's not true for you doesn't make it false.

Last edited by Calidecks; 08-29-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Mark, If direct mail worked so well you wouldn't need to be posting links trying to sell your service on CT. Not sure but I think it violates the rules. So I have to ask, if direct mail works so good why don't you use it for yourself instead of trying to cheat the system on a public forum?

Last edited by Calidecks; 08-29-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Clair View Post
I never think online has made direct mail obsolete. In fact, direct mail is more powerful and productive than emails. I have done a direct mailing campaign for my business ( magazine publishing ) in Toronto few months before. Troi mailing is the company I dealt with.
The mail targeted around 750 addresses in Toronto. And I was quite surprised to see the outcome of the campaign. Got very good response from the people out there.

And I agree with you ruskent. If he didn’t get a good response from direct mailing, then he must have done it wrong. Direct mailing is highly targeted and It will definitely bring you great result if done properly. The only thing is that you should hire a good company to do it for you.
Also, cjsewell has mentioned very good points on how to create a very good direct mail. It is really useful information. Keep those points in mind.
How can it be done wrong? It gets to their address they either call or they dont. There are way more effective ways to spend that money instead of snail mail.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 415

To say that someone is "doing it wrong" as a few have suggested is a bit of a stretch

Ive been on the fence awhile about doing this for Painting in my neck of the woods

I know guys who have great success and some with zero success

I think it may be hit or miss depending on location, service and postcard design. Some locales and services resonate- others dont

Again, i know guys in other parts of the country who targeted the right area (3-4X) had a great offer on a nice postcard and ..ZILCH

Im still on the fence though
The Following User Says Thank You to libbycop For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Here's the postcards I put out. Trust me they were in a well targeted areas.

Last edited by Calidecks; 08-29-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
How can it be done wrong? It gets to their address they either call or they dont. There are way more effective ways to spend that money instead of snail mail.
not to argue with you california decks----- but the fact that you are even asking this question tells me WHY you think direct mail sucks----
there are plenty of ways to do it wrong........
stephen
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbycop View Post
To say that someone is "doing it wrong" as a few have suggested is a bit of a stretch

Ive been on the fence awhile about doing this for Painting in my neck of the woods

I know guys who have great success and some with zero success

I think it may be hit or miss depending on location, service and postcard design. Some locales and services resonate- others dont

Again, i know guys in other parts of the country who targeted the right area (3-4X) had a great offer on a nice postcard and ..ZILCH

Im still on the fence though
Libby,
I don't saying someone is "doing it wrong "is a stretch AT ALL.

It's precisely the point

Look at your 4th sentence- that's where "doing it wrong" comes into play----location ,service,design..........

A company could have a GREAT post card design---a fantastic card------ but maybe the service doesn't lend itself to direct mail.

Lets say my company specializes in building circular stair cases and all our projects are flawless works of art. direct mail to the general public is probably not a good technique for me----after all, how large is my target market?

OR--- lets say I own a pizza shop----and I have a great card AND a large potential market( after all ,who doesn't want pizza?) direct mail not might be a good fit despite the large potential market, because the cost of the campaign might not even be re-couped from a 2% response rate and a product cost of $15.

I think the "doing it wrong" statement is right on target because there are so many factors to consider that it's easy to do almost all of them RIGHT---- but un-knowingly blow one of the factors and have a failed campaign.

I will give you another example--- my company.
We specialize in slate and ceramic tile roofs.
Statistically the ONLY potential customers are people who own slate or tile roofs---- so we mail ONLY to slate and tile roofed houses.

but there are a LOT of ways to screw that up. for example----are typical project house will have been built in the 1920's or earlier. If I notice this and choose to mail to ONLY houses built in the 1920's or earlier---- I might delude myself into thinking I am "highly targeting" my message- but in reality I am seriously diluting my message. Maybe 1 out of 50 houses built in the 1920's here has a slate or tile roof? so , i might need to mail out 5000 cards to hit 100 slate and tile houses with a 2% response rate from the slate and tile houses yielding 2 calls

Much more effective to mail to ONLY houses with slate or tile roofs---- but even THAT isn't really targeted enough.

I have a potential mailing list of over 20,000 slate and tile addresses.

I only actually mail to about 6000 of them. the other 14000 I have screened out.
Perhaps they are too far away?

Perhaps the neighborhood economic level indicates they can't afford my services.? ( that's a tricky one to get just right----- currently we are doing a $20,000 french tile roof restoration--- but one block away that project could not sell because the property values won't cover the outlay----- 3 years from now the situation might be completely different.

Perhaps the social infrastructure in a neighborhood doesn't promote saving historic roofs? some of our core markets have zoning in place effectively mandating that slate or tile roofs be preserved....... but on the other side of town, no such encouragement is in play---------------------------------- so you can have 2 neighborhoods with similar economic levels but one neighborhood has a definite preservationist ethic and the other is in love with vinyl siding and certainteed landmark asphalt shingles---- got to mail to the RIGHT neighborhood.

So---- the list of ways to screw up a direct mail campaign is infinite
BUT
if you do it RIGHT it's a real cash cow.

I can tell you that we tested the waters SMALL and we have increased what we spend on direct mail each and every year since then--- because for us it works VERY dependably

however------- We could have EASILY made one or two mistakes and gotten very different results-----and then we would be in California decks position insisting that direct mail sucks- but in reality the fault would have been on our design,or execution, or message or any one of many things---not the fault of the direct mail technique itself.

Absolutely my very best wishes to you,
stephen
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:
jimmybrine (10-14-2014), RacerX780 (04-17-2015), youngbuck (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
not to argue with you california decks----- but the fact that you are even asking this question tells me WHY you think direct mail sucks----
there are plenty of ways to do it wrong........
stephen
Why can't it be that direct mailing sucks where Im at, and what I'm doing? You don't know my demographic so you can't say if it works or not like I can. That's all I'm saying. You are assuming because it works for you, it must work for me. Your thinking is narrow.

Advertisement