Great Book On Closing - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Great Book On Closing

Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Great Book On Closing

Hey guys.
I found a great book on closing and just wanted to spread the word. Out is called "surefire sales closing techniques" by les dane.
I think the same book in hardcover is called "big league sales". Both are out of print but I found a copy on ebay for $28.
This guy does a great job explaining why and how a client resists the close of a sale. He then tells you how to turn that backwards and use it to make the sale. It is like sales jujitsu. Definitely worth reading if you can find a copy at your local library or on ebay.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Restoration

Re: Great Book On Closing

I guess I'd offer an opposing train of thought. I would recommend reading SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham. His research rather conclusively shows that attempts to close in sales involving anything of more value than a spontaneous type of purchase (<$50) results in a lower closing rate than a higher one.

SPIN is an acronym for Situation Problem Implication Need. It essentially means that if you can understand the core issues involving the decision making process, you can influence the results. Most Sales People barely make it through the situational issues such as how old the existing roof is, what their targeted budget is, what color of shingle they're considering, etc..

The Sales Professional will peel back the onion and as an example, be able to explain to the Homeowner the implications of using the low bidder who doesn't have insurance, may not be using ice & water shield in the valleys, is using a rented dumpster instead of a wheeled trailer for demo, etc..

Bottom line, if you as the Sales Person can dig in and understand the essential implications and needs, they can put together a proposal that addresses those and the proposal closes itself.

Most closing sales books I've read involve a lot of advocating and fancy psychological BS that frankly, just don't work. They imply that you as the Sales Person can manipulate reasonably intelligent people to make a multi thousand dollar purchasing decision different than they normally would make. While that may occasionally work, in general, it will have the opposite effect than the one you desire. Some people get a false sense of confidence because they win trying this crap when reality is, they won because the competitors were equally incompetent or worse.

IMHO, if you're advocating more than your asking questions, you probably are on the wrong path. How can you possibly advocate until you know what are the most important things the Customer is considering? I know, people are going to say "the price" and if you believe that and won't consider different than that, you should go ahead and buy the sales book on closing.

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Simple question @bender have you read the book I mentioned?
The Following User Says Thank You to JBMagi For This Useful Post:
MikeGC (03-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Pro

No. Have you read SPIN Selling? Based upon the title, I didn't see the need to. Perhaps I am in error by "judging a book by its cover".

I've spent much of my professional career selling very high $/ticket items and read a number of sales books. I've yet to see a "closing technique" that was of any true value for high $ items. That crap can be effective in door to door sales with items such as vacuum cleaners and encyclopedias.

Just to be clear, I do agree that when you've went through the sales process correctly and thoroughly, you should ask for the order and take it off the street. But in those instances, the sale has essentially been made by the good sales work and the Customer has made up their mind. As the Sales Person, you now have to be proactive enough to get them to do what they want to do anyway, that is, sign on the dotted line.

When I see books touting closing techniques, I immediately form the impression they are offering methods/strategies for moving the purchaser to do something they aren't wanting to do anyway. Or to put it differently, convincing someone with a fancy "closing technique" to sign on the dotted line when they aren't prepared to do so. Any way you package it, this generally involves applying some level of pressure. While this may occasionally work out, in general, I believe this either has the opposite effect or you end up with a Customer with buyer's remorse. Neither of those is the desired outcome.

Once again, I've seen so many Sales People who were thumping their chest about their great selling skills when in fact, what really happened is they simply sucked less than their competitors.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: sun rooms, screen rooms, pergolas, patio covers...
Rewards Points: 250

How about both you guys read each others books and then give the rest of us the Cliff notes version?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Z For This Useful Post:
DKnafo (03-23-2011), [email protected] (03-23-2011), MikeGC (03-23-2011), Vision Custom (04-09-2011), zenn68 (04-10-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #6

Just wanted to be sure that I was correct in my assumption that your opinion was baseless and irrelevant. While I do appreciate the suggestion on the "SPIN" book, I dont think it was very polite to hijack my friendly little post and pee all over my parade.

I think you will find that this book shares a lot in technique and methodology to what you are explaining. However it focuses on breaking up the lock up one often sees when it comes time for the client to sign on the dotted line.

I agree fully that anyone who thinks they can use Jedi mind tricks to close a deal without all the prior steps required for a true sale is an idiot. This book only focuses on that one last piece of the puzzle.

Also the Author has other books that I have not read. I know one of these is geared toward the entry to the sale cycle with prospecting and qualifying the clients.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBMagi For This Useful Post:
MikeGC (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Pro

I apologize for hijacking your thread. However, my opinion on your recommendation is hardly baseless or irrelevant. I simply dislike seeing people sent down the wrong path, knowingly or unknowingly.

Good luck closing!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #8

Most of us whether we admit it or not are involved in sales to a greater or lesser degree. I doubt there is any one of us who has never seen a client "lock up" when it came time to seal the deal despite how well the initial presentations and meetings went.

I fully agree that avoiding this needs to be done early in the sales cycle, and so does the author of the book.

I apologize for the somewhat coarse nature of my prior comment. My point is that you are unknowingly bashing and praising the same basic theory. I agree fully that the stereotypical hocus pocus of "closing" is a bunch of BS. However closing as the act of getting the contract signed is a very important part of the sales cycle, and one where the salesman can very often miss.

Bender if you can find a copy of the book i think you more than most would appreciate it, due to your upset with the BS, mystical, or strong arm techniques that are all to often taught.

I agree with you entirely on the subject and think we are actually haveing a "heated agreement" here.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMagi View Post

I agree with you entirely on the subject and think we are actually haveing a "heated agreement" here.

LOL Good comment, I appreciate the hump day chuckle. The fact that you're seeking knowledge about selling says a ton of positive things about your attitude and skill set. Regardless of the content, there's always at least a few things to be gained from reading a book. I will in fact do a search and see if I can find the book you suggest. Your belief in the value of the book has overcome the negative I got from the title. Thanks for the recommendation. Next time, I'll attempt to enter into a thread conversation a bit more tactfully. I didn't mean to be such as ass, there just seems to be days where it comes so naturally for me.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

Bender,
The title of the hardcover is "Big League Sales" and i think is a better description of the contents of the book. The paperback was printed years later and I am assuming the change in tittle was a marketing decision.

Also another point that speaks to the quality of the book is the prices it is normally found on ebay for. I have seen the paperback in ok condition going for over $100 and the hardcover as high as $1000.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #11

Bender
Any luck tracking down a copy?
Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Pro

Unfortunately, no. Every where I've looked it is several hundred dollars and up.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #13

I set up an automatic watch on ebay and found one for $28.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Pro

I got fed up with ebay quite a while back and no longer do any business there. Perhaps I should.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Masonry/Precast Concrete, Cast Stone
Rewards Points: 25

So, how many people have read this book and recommend it?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #16

I know a lot. It is widely used in the consulting group I work with. So far none here though.

Advertisement