Google And Home Advisor - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Google And Home Advisor

Old 12-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

Trade: replacement windows
Rewards Points: 88

Google And Home Advisor

I don't know if you have heard it but Google is partnering with Homeadvisor. You will be able to use Google Home (their version of Alexa) to ask it to give contractor suggestions and then call them. They will give names to you from Google Local Services providers and from Homeadvisor.

I don't know about you all but I am not very happy with Homeadvisor and this looks like another move to tilt the playing field. What do others think of this?

Rod
Blue Sky Glass
Replacement Windows
The Following User Says Thank You to blueskyglass For This Useful Post:
nettles51600 (01-09-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Re: Google And Home Advisor

I can't stand either but obviously google is a bigger player. They've been partnered with yelp, another scummy company. What a day and age! I'm just glad I'm not starting out.

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,495

Makes me want to puke. I thought everyone had their hand in my pocket before. Now Google wants a slice of the action. Between AdWords and HA I have a silent partner.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:09 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Makes me want to puke. I thought everyone had their hand in my pocket before. Now Google wants a slice of the action. Between AdWords and HA I have a silent partner.
You need to Ditch google and HA and get your leads from Facebook man.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,172

[QUOTE=blueskyglass;6556865]I don't know if you have heard it but Google is partnering with Homeadvisor.
Rod

There is two issues, the original partnership that doesn't seem to amount to much since this was the original intent back in 2015

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/12/goog...-services.html

Flash forward two years, and all it shows is Home Advisor using a Google Backend technology to connect to people who happen to find contractors via their service. Notice the source of the story is from HomeAdvisor as opposed to it coming from Google. So many people promote something to get attention when it is nothing other than additional hype.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300564539.html

At the end of the day, you just need to stay focused on your own marketing around your own website, your own Google Reviews, your own Facebook marketing, your own YouTube marketing, etc., and you will do just fine since the vast majority of your competition will generally get distracted with these topics. That is your advantage, stay focused on yourself and you will do well in the long run.

Good luck and happy holidays.
Brian
lawndart (12-23-2017), prowork (12-20-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
At the end of the day, you just need to stay focused on your own marketing around your own website, your own Google Reviews, your own Facebook marketing, your own YouTube marketing, etc., and you will do just fine since the vast majority of your competition will generally get distracted with these topics. That is your advantage, stay focused on yourself and you will do well in the long run.
Google won't give HA any priority on search hits? I'm very skeptical, google does everything for money.

I think they are responsible for a lot of garbage on the net, the pay per clicks, all the busy crap on websites to keep the googlebots sniffing around when web activity takes place. Even reviews. Who are they to get involved in your business? They clearly want much more than to be an impartial search engine. Plus they track your every move. I don't trust them or use them much.

I keep getting calls from people that claim they can fix the errors on my "google page". Those are duplicates of my verified account. I delete them and they come back. Who could do that besides google? I'm pretty sure they screw it up and operate under another name to help repair your site, otherwise you might disappear from google, and presumably, the earth.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
google does everything for money
That's a bad thing?

Properly leveraged, they can also help you make money...lots of it. They can help connect people looking for your service with you. If Google users don't get relevant results to suit their need, they won't use Google.

As for HA, that's a self inflicted wound on the contractor trade. Had more contractors a decade or so ago followed Brian's (MOTB) advice and built a strong web presence that could be found by people looking, HA would not have been needed. The "I don't need no stinkin' web site I'm busy enough without one" attitude created a vacuum of customers actively looking and not finding. HA stepped up to the plate and found contractors willing to finance lead gen they should have done for themselves. They created this monster and now complain about it.

That's not going to be a popular truth here but I've said it before and these kinds of discussions just prove too many contractors aren't willing to admit blame and prefer to lament and complain instead of take action to solve problems. The real irony is your career choice has you solving a lot of problems for your clients. Why not solve your own?

Make 2018 a great year!
lawndart (12-23-2017), prowork (12-20-2017), SmallTownGuy (12-20-2017), TNTSERVICES (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
That's a bad thing?

Properly leveraged, they can also help you make money...lots of it. They can help connect people looking for your service with you. If Google users don't get relevant results to suit their need, they won't use Google.

As for HA, that's a self inflicted wound on the contractor trade. Had more contractors a decade or so ago followed Brian's (MOTB) advice and built a strong web presence that could be found by people looking, HA would not have been needed. The "I don't need no stinkin' web site I'm busy enough without one" attitude created a vacuum of customers actively looking and not finding. HA stepped up to the plate and found contractors willing to finance lead gen they should have done for themselves. They created this monster and now complain about it.

That's not going to be a popular truth here but I've said it before and these kinds of discussions just prove too many contractors aren't willing to admit blame and prefer to lament and complain instead of take action to solve problems. The real irony is your career choice has you solving a lot of problems for your clients. Why not solve your own?

Make 2018 a great year!
Making money is good, how you make it is not always good. Google puts review sites top and center, like yelp and many reviews are fake or malicious, ask me how I know. How does it help when you are putting the equivalent of a public restroom wall on top?

As far as HA, I did that too and they are dishonest and charge you for services you don't provide. I just talked to a sales guy there that claimed it's much better now. so I have to defer to my experience more than a salesman's opinion, sorry.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
Non-conformist

Rango, my comments were not against you personally and I agree for the most part. I was just amused at your tone that Google was strictly money motivated though I agree that if profit is the only measure then that standard is flawed. I just don't see that as being the case given the overall scope of their objective. It's true that review sites can take precedent, but that's not automatic. Nor do reviews have the final say in buyer decisions. If most are positive, a few ranters are to be expected. In the case of limited reviews, I base my decision on other trust factors which are far too complex to cover in a generalized thread like this.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
This space for lease

Quote:
Rango, my comments were not against you personally and I agree for the most part. I was just amused at your tone that Google was strictly money motivated though I agree that if profit is the only measure then that standard is flawed. I just don't see that as being the case given the overall scope of their objective. It's true that review sites can take precedent, but that's not automatic. Nor do reviews have the final say in buyer decisions. If most are positive, a few ranters are to be expected. In the case of limited reviews, I base my decision on other trust factors which are far too complex to cover in a generalized thread like this.
You read a LOT into my comments. Why should I have taken your comments personally? We weren't talking about me. If you agree that if profit is the only motive it would be flawed then why does it amuse you if someone says they apparently only care about profit? Does not compute.

When did I say reviews were the only factor? They surely can be. Fake or revenge reviewers are more motivated than a satisfied customer. My point was it would be more of a disservice than a service if a business gets unfairly targeted so I don't value the corporation that provides it.

I honestly don't care what you value and I'm not sure why you think I should. You gave your perspective and I gave mine. You seem a bit defensive, quite frankly.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #11
Non-conformist

Quote:
You gave your perspective and I gave mine.
Exactly.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Google won't give HA any priority on search hits? I'm very skeptical, google does everything for money.
Hi RangoWA,
This is actually a 3-Part question.
1) Google will give HA or whomever priority if they are wiling to pay more in the Paid Advertising sections. So you are correct.
2) Google will not give HA or any lead gen service priority (or even a reference) in the Mapping section since that is designed for localized businesses. However, there are SEO Marketing topics that do influence who will get priority here.
3) Google may give HA or other lead gen services priority in the organic areas based on how much optimized content they have compared wit how the other local companies have optimized content. I realize this can be viewed as a hard task, but it is not. Unfortunately the Lead Gen folk get contractors to upload pictures, stories, testimonials, etc.. This provides the Lead Gen folk with all the uniqueness to get the listing. They win by volume but they are beatable.

So depending on the section of the screen, and how the contractor positions themselves, I believe my answer to your question is a solid Yes, No and Maybe.

Have a nice holiday week.
MOTB
Old 12-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #13
This space for lease

Quote:
Hi RangoWA,
This is actually a 3-Part question.
1) Google will give HA or whomever priority if they are wiling to pay more in the Paid Advertising sections. So you are correct.
2) Google will not give HA or any lead gen service priority (or even a reference) in the Mapping section since that is designed for localized businesses. However, there are SEO Marketing topics that do influence who will get priority here.
3) Google may give HA or other lead gen services priority in the organic areas based on how much optimized content they have compared wit how the other local companies have optimized content. I realize this can be viewed as a hard task, but it is not. Unfortunately the Lead Gen folk get contractors to upload pictures, stories, testimonials, etc.. This provides the Lead Gen folk with all the uniqueness to get the listing. They win by volume but they are beatable.

So depending on the section of the screen, and how the contractor positions themselves, I believe my answer to your question is a solid Yes, No and Maybe.

Have a nice holiday week.
MOTB
Sure, a sales guy would expect businesses to pay for top billing. That was my point. Billing. We can all throw more and more money at a near monopoly and line their pockets. That was my objection, it isn't based on anything but money. It has nothing to do with quality of service. They put themselves in a position to enrichen themselves with their dominance and it will continue to grow for a long as businesses pony up.

I see it as corrupt and a disservice to the community, google is not just a search engine as the unsuspecting masses believe, it's a money making machine and I don't have to like it. Is that clear enough? See, only one question from my end.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
You need to Ditch google and HA and get your leads from Facebook man.
Another monster and BS artist. Choking your newsfeeds unless you pay. Next!
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
Hair Splitter

Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
That's a bad thing?

Make 2018 a great year!
That's kind of a skewed version of reality. It had little to do with a vacuum created by contractors saying they don't need online presence because they are too busy without one. Heck that is the truth. Why would you need a service to generate leads when you have a client base that does it for you.

Home Advisor definitely filled a need, but it isn't what you think. It has to do with our industry and how it works. We are a referral business. Always will be. Home Advisor filled that void. Someone moves to a new town, doesn't know anyone, who can they ask about a contractor (as an example). So they filled the void of a referral base. They gave them a place that they could find recommended "verified" contractor and feel good about hiring them.

I don't see anyone complaining that they are sucking all the leads up, just unfair SEO practices. And no amount of time or money from a small contract will ever be enough to bump Home Advisor or Porch from first page results.

Then you have to contend with the fact that there are only so many spots on page 1. If every remodeling contractor started competing for page 1 in my area, I would be competing with thousands for 15 spots. It would be a constant battle on who could spend the most, or what I call chasing your SEO tail.

But it still leaves the question why does a successful contractor who is booked for months need to build an online presence?

Your opinion isn't going to be popular, but not because it tells the truth, because it isn't accurate.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
I see it as corrupt and a disservice to the community, google is not just a search engine as the unsuspecting masses believe, it's a money making machine and I don't have to like it. Is that clear enough? See, only one question from my end.
Well I wish you saw it for the advantageous side that it can be too. I was going to do a quick review for you as a holiday gift but did not see your website linked to your profile. Have a website? Happen to just not have it connected to your profile here? The reason I ask is, there really are a lot of positive aspects that search can provide your company - but you have to be positioned correctly to capitalize on it. Have a good day.
Brian
Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #17
This space for lease

Quote:
Well I wish you saw it for the advantageous side that it can be too. I was going to do a quick review for you as a holiday gift but did not see your website linked to your profile. Have a website? Happen to just not have it connected to your profile here? The reason I ask is, there really are a lot of positive aspects that search can provide your company - but you have to be positioned correctly to capitalize on it. Have a good day.
Brian
I don't recall asking for your help or advice, you did you determine that? How can you review me from a website? That wouldn't be an honest review. You're proving my point.

FYI, I advertised with Google and a few others. Google charged per click. How do I know who's clicking? It could be them. I asked questions about particulars and the guy rambled on about presence and impressions and all kinds of other gobbledy gook. I don't fancy myself to me a towering intellect but I know when I'm being sold a smoke and mirrors. There's nothing new under the sun.

You pay, you go up front. Has little to do with relevance or quality of work or service. I quit using google for any searches, apart from their tracking because I am not interested in seeing who pays the most for top billing. It isn't an honest search engine and I'm not going to feed it.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
That's kind of a skewed version of reality. It had little to do with a vacuum created by contractors saying they don't need online presence because they are too busy without one. Heck that is the truth. Why would you need a service to generate leads when you have a client base that does it for you.

Home Advisor definitely filled a need, but it isn't what you think. It has to do with our industry and how it works. We are a referral business. Always will be. Home Advisor filled that void. Someone moves to a new town, doesn't know anyone, who can they ask about a contractor (as an example). So they filled the void of a referral base. They gave them a place that they could find recommended "verified" contractor and feel good about hiring them.

I don't see anyone complaining that they are sucking all the leads up, just unfair SEO practices. And no amount of time or money from a small contract will ever be enough to bump Home Advisor or Porch from first page results.

Then you have to contend with the fact that there are only so many spots on page 1. If every remodeling contractor started competing for page 1 in my area, I would be competing with thousands for 15 spots. It would be a constant battle on who could spend the most, or what I call chasing your SEO tail.

But it still leaves the question why does a successful contractor who is booked for months need to build an online presence?

Your opinion isn't going to be popular, but not because it tells the truth, because it isn't accurate.
Let's approach this from a different angle here, Rob.

I started my current company in early 2002 and started developing web design skill in the late 1990's. That has provided a good scope of experience with which to make observations.

Going back briefly to the early days of commercial Internet, the early adapters were largely the affluent which would certainly represent the target market for contractors. Trying to find contractor services online was a frustrating quest back then.

Here's the problem. Buyers wanted to see your work online but contractors were largely ignoring that desire, choosing instead to focus on the fact that they didn't need a web site and missing the opportunity to create it for their buyer's benefit.

Going back to another market state during that time, since so few contractors recognized the value of a web site, ranking was easy. Developing an effective site that ranked well and converted visitors was cheap.

It has long floored me that many of the same contractors, who previously and perpetually spent thousands on phone book ads, snubbed investing in a well designed web site that had greater potential at a fraction of the cost. Lead gen had no problem taking advantage of this mindset. Combined with the wide open opportunity, it was destined to explode.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
This space for lease

Quote:
Here's the problem. Buyers wanted to see your work online but contractors were largely ignoring that desire, choosing instead to focus on the fact that they didn't need a web site and missing the opportunity to create it for their buyer's benefit.

Going back to another market state during that time, since so few contractors recognized the value of a web site, ranking was easy. Developing an effective site that ranked well and converted visitors was cheap.

It has long floored me that many of the same contractors, who previously and perpetually spent thousands on phone book ads, snubbed investing in a well designed web site that had greater potential at a fraction of the cost. Lead gen had no problem taking advantage of this mindset. Combined with the wide open opportunity, it was destined to explode.
Last I heard, web design was not cheap. Then it has to be maintained. I had a shop back then and did not want people eyeballing the work online. First off, most work was referral and repeat, which is where I wanted to be. And still do.

since it was highly personalized work I wanted them to come in, if they couldn't be bothered that was a good filter for me. Yes, without the phone book people need an online way for people to find you. That just takes a link to your website with a simple search. But that's not what we are talking about. It's the cottage industry that has sprung around it that isn't necessarily the best option for those looking around.

They get the best payers. They may never see the contractor that can't or doesn't want to compete on that level but may well have been the best suited. At least with the phone book they'd see you.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
I don't recall asking for your help or advice, you did you determine that? How can you review me from a website? That wouldn't be an honest review. You're proving my point.
Sorry for putting you on the defensive. I was just looking to offer some friendly holiday advice. I really would enjoy talking to you since your questions are clearly showing you are unaware of what you are missing. I would bet there would be a handful of service providers and forum members that could easily go into many forms of replies. But it is holiday time and I just thought I could help you. I understand that it seems this is not an interest of yours. Either way, Happy Holidays and Good Luck with your marketing efforts.

The rest of my reply is geared towards the silent majority of people who come here to read and learn but may not reply. Here is the issue about the power of online marketing, and it is a massive opportunity. Do not for one second discount it.

There are two issues when it comes to online marketing:
1) Being found when people do not know your company, and
2) The image you present once you are found.

The original comment was "How can you review me from a website?". There are two different answers, one towards search engine optimization and one from a visual perspective. When it comes to Search Engine Optimization (SEO), there are many many topics that can be discussed. Some are very easy to see and correct, and some are more technical. When it comes to the visual perspective, there are many elements including the services and locations you target, the pictures you show, the customer reviews I can see, etc.

The opinions are all honest, especially when they are coming from a prospect who is validating your business. A prospect will not tell you if they could not find your company. A prospect will not tell you if they were not impressed with your website (which appears different on a desktop or tablet or phone).

So I revert back to my original friendly suggestion to focus on your own website marketing and do not discount Google since there is a world of opportunity, in both the Organic (Free) and Advertising (Paid) sections.

Have a good start to New Year.

Advertisement