General Contractor Marketing - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

General Contractor Marketing

Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 20

General Contractor Marketing

Hey Everyone!

Ill start off by saying, this is a very informative forum, seems like theres alot of great people here

My business is only 3 years old, (2 years incorporated). We do mostly Residential work, Right now 75% of my work are my own contracts, and the remainder is subcontracting. This is what we do in a nutshell;

-General Contracting
-Renovations & Additions
-Backyard Living & Design
-New Construction & Framing

This year i really want to pump the business and get my name out there. My website is up and running, but i haven't "hyped" it very much, since the site is still lacking some formatting and content.

Website -----> www.TheWrightContractor.com

Facebook -----> https://www.facebook.com/pages/WRIGH...3788311?ref=hl

I am willing to sink some money into certain advertising, but i wanna be smart to where it goes. This is what i was thinking

1) BBB ($500/yr)
- Become accredited by Better Business Bureau
- looks professional on the Website,Invoices,Trailers,Trucks Etc

2) GVHBA ($1,200/yr)
- Become a member of the "Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association"
- Meet other contractors/ potential clients at member meetings
- looks professional on the Website,Invoices,Trailers,Trucks Etc

3) Advertising Banner ($650/yr)
- Was playing drop in hockey at my local arena and noticed some banners around the rink.
- I think this would be the "right" kind of exposure because;
- 3 Rinks in this arena (2000 ppl per day in peak season)
- Minor Hockey is the most expensive sport to put your kid in
- I know alot of people through the local minor hockey association

4) Signage ($250)
- Build another sign like this to put in front of larger projects

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

Re: General Contractor Marketing

Nice website. Does your site have a blog ?

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractors/Specialty Contractors
Rewards Points: 952

I like that sign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Trade: Commercial GC
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCI View Post
I like that sign
Second. Great sign, very iconinc, will help establish brand recongition. Stick one of these infront of every project you do.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Professional Babysitter

Rewards Points: 10

awesome sign!
like us: www.facebook.com/stewartknowlesconstruction
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Website Design & Social Media for Contractors
Rewards Points: 250

Promote the business you want to get. If you like doing backyard spaces, you have to market that aspect of the business. GC's run into trouble when they shotgun marketing. Approach each business line like it's own separate business in the way you position it. For example, you may do lawn and garden shows for the backyard part of your business but not for the home building.

Secondly, be where your best customers are.

Lastly, use a dark text/light background on your site. People want to read webpages the way they read offline. And add more content to your site.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicPoolSvcs View Post
Nice website. Does your site have a blog ?
I will have a testimonial page where clients can leave reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTypical View Post
Second. Great sign, very iconinc, will help establish brand recongition. Stick one of these infront of every project you do.
Thanks! It looks really cool at night with the solar light! When i build the next one i think i might use paralam materials and do an arched top
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter View Post
Promote the business you want to get. If you like doing backyard spaces, you have to market that aspect of the business. GC's run into trouble when they shotgun marketing. Approach each business line like it's own separate business in the way you position it. For example, you may do lawn and garden shows for the backyard part of your business but not for the home building.

Secondly, be where your best customers are.

Lastly, use a dark text/light background on your site. People want to read webpages the way they read offline. And add more content to your site.

I see what your saying. don't wanna wear to many hats...

But i want to market my company primarily as the general contractor. So no matter what the project is i.e. Interior Reno, Exterior Reno, or New Construction. I want them to call me for their project...

I have 2 crews
1) 3 guys for Demo/ Framing/ Forming
2) 2 guys for Framing/ Drywall Boarding/ Finishing

The rest is sub'd out...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
User

Trade: All Home Services
Rewards Points: 428

My suggestions:

1. Start with the goal. What you do in terms of advertising and marketing should always be based on: where you are today, where you want to be (and by when), and budget.

"Pumping up the business" is not a goal. Make it measurable. How much revenue did you do from your own deals last year? Doubling that this year is a goal.

What your budget should be depends on the goal. I love it when contractors say that they want to go from $1.5 million to $2.25 million in a year and that they've budgeted $15K to do it. If this were (routinely) possible, everyone would be a contractor.

So, set the goal, come up with a strategy, and then an implementation plan.

2. It's understandable to want to "get your name out there." Just recognize that a lot of companies go under just as they've started to succeed in establishing a brand. A safer play (arguably) is to identify 2-3 profitable lead/sale generation strategies. These strategies are the engine that drives your business. Brand or no brand, if you have these, you'll be fine. Get these in place and you'll have more money than you could ever imagine to 'get your name out there' and build a brand.

If you've got a bit of money or other sources of income, go ahead and get your name out there. Consider my recommendation(s) phase 2.

3. Skip the banner and invest your website. What % of people attending the games are really in the market for your services. Compare this to the number of people searching for things like, "Vancouver kitchen remodeling contractor" or "kitchen remodelers Vancouver." Online real estate is FAR cheaper and a MUCH better investment than real world real estate. It's also more effective. Maximize your online real estate starting with the search engine results pages.

From an SEO perspective, your website scores very low (compared to other "top" contractors). Whether you hire a pro to help you or improve things on your own, improving your website is - with little question - the best marketing investment you could make.

My $.02 (free to you),

Ben
The Following User Says Thank You to BenLanders For This Useful Post:
THINKPAINTING (02-17-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

Trade: Commercial GC
Rewards Points: 25

Thanks! It looks really cool at night with the solar light! When i build the next one i think i might use paralam materials and do an arched top [/QUOTE]

Which ever way you go, pick a design a stick to it. Personally I like the peaked one you built. Instantly recognizable and assoicated with the whole home. The arched top may end up looking more like the top of window.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightConst. View Post
I see what your saying. don't wanna wear to many hats...

But i want to market my company primarily as the general contractor. So no matter what the project is i.e. Interior Reno, Exterior Reno, or New Construction. I want them to call me for their project...

I have 2 crews
1) 3 guys for Demo/ Framing/ Forming
2) 2 guys for Framing/ Drywall Boarding/ Finishing

The rest is sub'd out...
If you are really just trying to hit GC's, offline is where you want to be. Build relationships. Build mindshare in your community. That is the fastest way.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTypical
Thanks! It looks really cool at night with the solar light! When i build the next one i think i might use paralam materials and do an arched top
Which ever way you go, pick a design a stick to it. Personally I like the peaked one you built. Instantly recognizable and assoicated with the whole home. The arched top may end up looking more like the top of window.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you in my experience including all of last year. My biggest lead getter was my job signs which I make from a sheet. 4x8 mdo. They cost me a few bucks but look great and everyone knows my name like they say on the old Cheers TV show. Just my 2 cts I would also invest in my website I would pay for a review from Darren or Ben and then implant there suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
General Contractor Marketing-image-3181857042.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKPAINTING View Post
Which ever way you go, pick a design a stick to it. Personally I like the peaked one you built. Instantly recognizable and assoicated with the whole home. The arched top may end up looking more like the top of window.
If you are making those yourself Nick you may want to do signs during the slow times! That thing looks great man.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #14

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter

If you are making those yourself Nick you may want to do signs during the slow times! That thing looks great man.
Lol thanks Darren, learned many years ago about a great job sign...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #15

Trade: Security Systems
Rewards Points: 10

You're website looks professional and solid aesthetically. I would definitely recommend joining the GVHBA to get your name out in the industry. It is a powerful networking resource and there are different forums and presentations that might be of interest to you. The other recommendation is creating a blog and putting up useful, quality content. Through the GVHBA and the BBB, I've been able to connect with contractors and home builders in North America, particularly for our low voltage wiring and security systems. You need to identify the needs of each group you target with specific services.

Advertisement