Friend Trusted? - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Friend Trusted?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Friend Trusted?

As anyone been getting texts from these guys. They sent me a text this morning about a lead and so far my phone has been blowing up with requests for work. They want me to pay. $5 and 5% of the labor total if I get the job. Problem is you have to give an estimate without even seeing the job.

They don't supply customer names and numbers until you pay the fees either. Should I steer clear of these guys as I have heard other company's who do a similar thing are just sending the same details to 100's of other contractors and the leads never go anywhere.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Re: Friend Trusted?

Fvck that.

Advertisement

avenge (08-17-2014), CarpenterSFO (08-13-2014), dkillianjr (08-13-2014), greg24k (08-14-2014), pinwheel (08-14-2014), Railman (08-21-2014), tgeb (08-16-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 738

Just another scam to seperate you from your money.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 13,002

Yeah, I have been getting them lately. For roofing. I'm not even a roofing contractor. Not sure where they got my number unless they scour the states contractor listings.

I've gotten three texts over the last week or so. I was going to ask the same question on here.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Pro

I have had about 6 today alone. I would pay the 5% and $5 if they were good leads but if they are blowing my phone up like this then I'm sure they are doing the same to hundreds of others.

Here's some examples. Not sure how they expect you to estimate with these kind if details. There's not even pictures.

"bathroom remodel. want to gut my bathroom and install new tub, toilet and sink, new tile on walls and floor"

"Cape Cod style houseadd a room and bathroom to second floor),
First floor: add room to back of house, rearrange kitchen, move bathroom, knock down walls, install floors, add mudroom"
Old 08-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #6
Pro

Mine just say "Need roof quote, call, look at pictures at.....

Do I need to hit the link to get the info?
Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,030

Same here, I get them often. I think they get the phone number from places like Houzz
Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #8
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Should I steer clear of these guys as I have heard other company's who do a similar thing are just sending the same details to 100's of other contractors and the leads never go anywhere.
You know the cliché.. "When contractors compete, you win!"

How and where they are going about getting the leads in the first place is my bigger concern. Not every lead generation company qualifies their leads. I can generate 1000 leads a day just making a poster and a box of entry blanks asking "Who would like to enter a drawing to win a free deck or fence?" and then on the form ask "What other work would you like to have done in your home for free?"

Then the contractor shows up wondering why the HO thought they could get something for nothing.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
building Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 160

I messaged them back after getting bombarded with projects, told them that there is no way that there is 6 homeowners in my little 500 person town looking for a bathroom remodel and kitchen. Now i still get an occasional email. But not like that first day.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 20

I signed up a couple of months ago. Paid $20 for credit for four leads. So far they sacked me for two of the four.

It seem like a bunch of tire kickers. The one lead I accepted was a decent "small" job. Went to the customers' home, looked at his project, and gave him a firm estimate. A few days later he contacted me and stated he wanted to proceed. I told him that I would draft a contract. We scheduled a meeting. The day before the meeting he postponed. The day before the second meeting he postponed, again. At that point I cancelled.

The second job was a small roof leak & drywall repair. Customer accepted my bid, Friend Trusted took my $5, the customer would not return my calls or emails.

I have filtered the leads and still get them every so often. I think that I give fair pricing on the system. I think that the people that use a system like that have no clue what it actually cost to do a job.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
Pro

I been speaking to a few local guys who used it for a little bit. They said nearly all the bids were for Realtor's who wanted an estimate on what it would cost to fix something. This rang alarm bells as i have heard on here about Realtor's doing that just so they can get an idea for the buyer of how much they need to knock off the house price. Also seems that's why they want to confirm you do free estimates. Whats funny though is about 4hrs after that i get a free credit offer to get the details of a customer. It said that they would prefer i contact by email but i done a check on the guys name it found his number. Sure enough he was a Realtor in this area.

I have completely pulled out of their notifications now as it seems like most of them are tire kickers or realtor's.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Pro

That is one reason I am starting to do all real estate repairs by the hour. It makes it harder for folks to admit they just want a price.

I do have some agents that treat me real well and I just ask them if it is a negotiation quote. For them I don't mind, as they have sent me some serious job leads over the years and keep me busy with rental repairs.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

I started getting them in the spring, kind of annoying
Old 08-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

I agree most are just scams, if not all.

I like biding to the persons paying, THE HOMEOWNER.
Facebook
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I agree most are just scams, if not all.

I like biding to the persons paying, THE HOMEOWNER.
I always tell them I only enter into prime contracts, they almost always say we'll I'm just consulting for the HO. Then I say if I'm going to work for the HO have them call me, otherwise I'm not interested. I especially will not work as a sub. All too often, it's another contractor wanting your numbers so they can bid the job and do it themselves.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,146

I responded-estimated a few earlier this year, tossed in for 4 estimates - Nada a response. And still have all the bid credits.

Submitted a few questions to home owners - Nada

Most of the ones here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro Plex are DIY Wanna be GC type nickel and dime requests, price checkers, idiots for even asking.... a few have been "serious" looking requests. I don't have the time, right now, to experiment.

NO tracking or follow up metrics for those who have bid. Maybe it works but have yet to hear of anyone who actually got any work

Last edited by Texas Wax; 08-17-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
I responded-estimated a few earlier this year, tossed in for 4 estimates - Nada a response. And still have all the bid credits.

Submitted a few questions to home owners - Nada

Most of the ones here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro Plex are DIY Wanna be GC type nickel and dime requests, price checkers, idiots for even asking.... a few have been "serious" looking requests. I don't have the time, right now, to experiment.

NO tracking or follow up metrics for those who have bid. Maybe it works but have yet to hear of anyone who actually got any work
Same thing here

Advertisement