Fake Yelp Reviews - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Fake Yelp Reviews

Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 38

Fake Yelp Reviews

Lately quite a few of my colleges are getting unreal amounts of Yelp reviews. I'm talking about nearly 100 in a matter of months. Ive heard there are 2 ways this happens.
!. paying an "online reputation" company to post fake reviews
2. Paying Yelp to allow these fake reviews and allow the real ones to stick and not be filtered.

I find these tactics unprofessional and straight up cheating. I hope the consumers are aware that Yelp is no longer a legitimate source for client testimonials.

I've tried paying Yelp to boost my ranking but when I cancelled, they purposely buried my page.

What has your experience with Yelp and fake reviews been?
Do you know any contractors who pay for these BS reviews?
Does it piss you off that they are getting more marketing hits by lying?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Re: Fake Yelp Reviews

Haven't had any of these experiences. I have had real reviews filtered out but that is normal. Sometimes their filter is too aggressive when searching for fakes.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 276

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y0p...st=WL&index=28
Big Shoe (07-15-2015), festerized (05-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick71 View Post
Lately quite a few of my colleges are getting unreal amounts of Yelp reviews. I'm talking about nearly 100 in a matter of months. Ive heard there are 2 ways this happens.
!. paying an "online reputation" company to post fake reviews
2. Paying Yelp to allow these fake reviews and allow the real ones to stick and not be filtered.

I find these tactics unprofessional and straight up cheating. I hope the consumers are aware that Yelp is no longer a legitimate source for client testimonials.

I've tried paying Yelp to boost my ranking but when I cancelled, they purposely buried my page.

What has your experience with Yelp and fake reviews been?
Do you know any contractors who pay for these BS reviews?
Does it piss you off that they are getting more marketing hits by lying?
I would think that any yelp users, and practically everyone else, would know that they are fake. A painter with a hundred reviews in the last few months, all 5 stars? Fake. Faking reviews is stupid, and they are usually easy to spot. Honest reviews from real customers are obvious. The smart way to get reviews is to tell your best customers that you would appreciate a nice 5 star review on yelp if they have time. That's it. You don't hammer them, you just mention it and move on. It's also easier than faking reviews.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Red Letters

Trade: Full Service Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 42

I have 12 reviews on Yelp from clients and they will not show one of them. It's a shame that you have to pay to play with them.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
Thanks for posting the link to that video
The Following User Says Thank You to Creter For This Useful Post:
George Z (05-27-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,854

You dont have to pay to play on yelp. If you have a client create an account and they only leave a review on your biz it will get filtered, esp if its a 5 star.

If you want it to stick it is better for them to review a couple restraunts, and when they leave a review on your biz to mention someone by name, a day of the week or the color used on something. Specifics will go a long way for making a review stick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (05-27-2015), tjdrake (05-28-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

Not just Yelp. Yelp at least filters something.
Homestars here in Toronto is the worst!

There are companies in Homestars with 500 even more than a thousand reviews,
with an average of 9.9 out of 10.
Every single one of these companies with the hundreds of almost perfect reviews are paid advertisers.

The problem is, they portray themselves as legitimate and neutral
and they are on first page of Google.

I think time will come when consumers will blank all of them.
tjdrake (05-28-2015)
Old 06-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #9

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Hey OP,

I see this common topic talked about on many forums.

Don't worry about it. Acknowledge and move on.

Don't spend your time or even thinking about things that will not serve you and your business.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Contractor Marketing
Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel.Rocha View Post
Hey OP,

I see this common topic talked about on many forums.

Don't worry about it. Acknowledge and move on.

Don't spend your time or even thinking about things that will not serve you and your business.
Totally agree. Keep plugging away on what is working for you.

You can spend time trying to get them found out or you can focus on being a badass and dominating on your strengths.

That is unless......your main source of business is Yelp??

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 06-17-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Remove solicitation sig line
Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Lead Bloodhound

Trade: Marketing Consultant
Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid-87 View Post
You can spend time trying to get them found out or you can focus on being a badass and dominating on your strengths.
I have never seen "Yelp Fraud" as bad as what OP describes...it does happen. And I agree that trying to get another company busted is a total waste of time. Any time you spend trying to police Yelp (or other review sites) is almost always better spend working on YOUR Business....since that's the only business that you can control.
The Following User Says Thank You to kalel35 For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Yelp must desperate there calling me twice a week
Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Yelp has called as much as four times in a day. They will allow lies and falsehoods to be posted about you, even if you can prove it wrong. There's no way to contact anyone except by reporting the post, but you can do it only once and you get a reply that they don't take sides, without contacting you or having any dialog, and it's a no reply email address.

Strange way to run a business. There have been numerous complaints about the same thing, I don't know how they get away with it. Then they call and try to sell you advertising! Maybe it's supposed to make the bad reviews go away? Hopefully the smarter customers can read between the lines.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,470

I dont know how many different Internet service there are these days. I am not on any of them. I am stubborn and I hate how the internet and the television shows make the skills of our profession a fun hobby. Its a friggin joke.

I advertise in local newspapers and it not very good but what I see tells me going on the internet would be 10x worse. Nearly........ not all but.... 20 out of 25 is a disrespectful person. Either they want to supply materials or get you to provide a list for them to shop, or avoid a permit, or comment how they would do it themselves but are too busy, whatever...... Your just a handyperson they can go on craigslist pimp it out to anyone. Your prices are outrageous.....

I have my referrals and there are never enough but the lack of respect seems like it would only be compounded by net services.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-30-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #15
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I hear ya Tom. But those types of customers aren't ready for you yet. Once they get the lowball work done they will be a little more open to more professional work. At least most folks. Some will never learn and the thought of saving a nickle will over power all other considerations.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Tom M (06-25-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #16

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 94

I would not worry about it as those reviews will get filtered. Yelp is actually one of the hardest review sites to game. They also note your IP, so if someone in another state leaves a review, it will get filtered. It can be done but you have to know how to do it properly.

The other reason a lot of real reviews get filtered is because it's your customers first review on Yelp. A lot of accounts with only 1 review looks unnatural. To bypass that filter the reviewer needs to have a minimum of 5 reviews posted previously. If your customer has never left a review on Yelp you're better off getting them to leave one on G+ or FB.

Yelp is starting to call people out on fake reviews when possible. They are also looking for a buyer $3.5 billion estimate.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,854

Its funny they want that much, the Yankees, Redsox and Patriots are all valued somewhere around 2 billion each. Which one would you rather own....
Old 06-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldnote View Post
I would not worry about it as those reviews will get filtered. Yelp is actually one of the hardest review sites to game. They also note your IP, so if someone in another state leaves a review, it will get filtered. It can be done but you have to know how to do it properly.

The other reason a lot of real reviews get filtered is because it's your customers first review on Yelp. A lot of accounts with only 1 review looks unnatural. To bypass that filter the reviewer needs to have a minimum of 5 reviews posted previously. If your customer has never left a review on Yelp you're better off getting them to leave one on G+ or FB.

Yelp is starting to call people out on fake reviews when possible. They are also looking for a buyer $3.5 billion estimate.
My GF owns a successful bakery, easy 30-60 orders a week which could potentially be a lot of reviews. She never pushes reviews, no time, doesn’t want to harass customers etc. Few months ago a new bakery opened up In town so to be proactive she asked customer to write reviews. Think she had about 200 reviews within a month between google, yelp, Angies list and a few bakery web sites.

Yelp calls her to advertise because she “Had” a lot of reviews, turns out yelp removed the reviews because the people posting were not members, members who did not post reviews often (whatever that means) and because to many reviews came in a short period of time.
It doesn’t take rocket science to verify the reviews; instead of doing their homework Yelp just deleted the reviews.

Why would anyone want to do business with a company that doesn’t know the difference between real and fake reviews
Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #19

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 94

Sounds like they had an issue with the velocity of the reviews left. She went from none for how ever long to a lot in a matter of a couple months.

Even Search Engines take velocity into effect with backlinks. You can't go from 5 backlinks a month to 5,000 links all the sudden. It looks unnatural and this is how many people try to manipulate rankings. Whether it's with reviews or links.

G+ reviews are the most important reviews for obvious reasons. Does she rank in the 7/5/3 pack map listings?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #20

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 38

There are a few issues at play with Yelp.

1. Fake reviews.
Painters in our area are paying people to post fake reviews. They pay people they hire through craigslist $5-$10 per review. Once the review posts they pay the "reviewer" through paypal.

2. Reputation Management
That's just a fancy term for Fake reviews on a large scale. Businesses pay these companies $100- $2500 per month to post fake reviews. These are outsourced to places like India where they have hundreds of computers in an office. cranking out fake reviews.

3. Yelp "ads"
When you pay Yelp every month, they keep all the good reviews, filter the bad ones and allow the fake ones to be posted.If you stop paying Yelp a ton the good reviews get filtered.

Personally, we take Yelp with a grain of salt. Yelp will never make or break our business. The people who pay Yelp and post fake reviews won't last long. I get plenty referrals without Yelp.

Google "Yelp Fake Reviews" and "Yelp Extortion"

Advertisement