Dramatically Increase Your Sales - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Dramatically Increase Your Sales

Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Dramatically Increase Your Sales

A couple of CT members have asked me to explain what I was fortunate enough to be taught years ago about how to recognize & sell different personality types. I appreciate all the help & advice I've received in here, so here goes...

WARNING: This is going to be a very, very long post - get the popcorn out.

The fact is that we all fall (including myself) into 1 of 4 personality types. Each of us has a dominate type and some of us have a back-up personality type - more on that later.

For those of you that have attended any sales "guru" seminar, you may have heard these types called: Type A personality, Type B and so on. I will refer to them as I was taught - the four types are DRIVER, ANALYTICAL, EXPRESSIVE (that’s me) and AMIABLE.

Be sure to read this post all the way through, there is a “twist” at the end that you’ll want to know – and there may be a test…HA!

I'll take each type individually & first explain how to recognize your prospects/customers type & then, effective ways to deal/sell that personality type.

DRIVER: (How to recognize) This is a "bottom line" type of person. Very direct, usually in a hurry, won't stand for any BS, tries to do everything their self because they think they can do it better than anyone else. May try to be intimidating. Won’t give you very much time, etc.

(How to handle the “DRIVER” type) GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT! Be straight and very direct, hold your ground (they will actually respect this), don’t “dance” around price, be ready to say “I realize we’re the highest estimate & here’s why”… (be an attorney & DIPLOMATICALLY state your case). NOTE: Diplomatically is the key word here – if you get into a pi**ing contest – you will lose, but you can “one call close” this personality type – IF they perceive you as a pro.

ANALYTICAL: (How to recognize) This type wants to study & analyze everything, loves stats & specs, very organized, probably subscribes to consumer reports, etc., very difficult to “one call close” because they need time to “weigh their options” – you get the idea.

(How to handle) Again, give them what they want! Be ready to supply brochures, stats, specs, etc. Explain the quality of materials you will use, the process of the job, etc. If positioned correctly, they will understand the concept of “cheaper doe’s not mean better”. This is the type that you will definitely want to give a follow-up call to in a couple of days. NOTE: With this type of personality, if you are late for your initial appointment – you’re dead…

EXPRESSIVE: (this is my dominate personality, & I can tell that it is Matt & Ed’s also) (How to recognize) This type will do business & make a quick decision but, they are going to have “fun” doing it! This type likes to joke around, tends to be unorganized (not a slob, but a lot of loose papers on their desk), usually very talkative & animated.

(How to handle) Again, give them blah, blah, blah… Joke, around with them, their spouse, their kids & for God’s sake… DON’T FORGET TO PET THEIR DOG! Have fun on the appointment (they need to feel comfortable with you, especially on a long project) but be professional – if they swear, DO NOT follow suit. The good news with an expressive is, they will make a decision, the bad news is that they are not very “detail” oriented – make sure the scope (and cost) of the work is fully understood to avoid a future problem.

AMIABLE: This type has a “sweet as pie” personality (think Aunt Bee from Mayberry) and usually religious. They NEED to get to know you and will probably ask questions about your family, how long you’ve lived in the area, you get the idea. This type will put more “weight” on you personally than your company BUT, needs to know that you are not going to send Charles Manson over to do the work. This type is very hard to “one call close”.

(How to handle) One more time…Give them what they want! Ask about their family, etc. Find out (as with any appointment) what is important to them. Live by the old saying “ People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care”. If you try to “hard close” this type, guess what, you’re dead – they will find a polite way to get you out of their house… forever. And again, DON’T FORGET TO PET THEIR DOG!

NOW FOR THE “TWIST”:

Some people (me for one) have a “back-up” personality. This back-up personality will surface upon pressure, as in, closing questions. Be prepared to recognize this & switch gears accordingly.

My back-up personality is DRIVER. It usually (unconsciously) kicks in when sales people (usually advertising reps) try to BS me. I will do a “Jeckle & Hide” transformation in about a second and a half! You should see the look on a amateur salespersons face when they thought they were selling Jerry Seinfeld & I turn out to be Hannibal Lechter!

If you practice & master these techniques, you will transform from a salesperson to a professional Master Salesperson – your bank account will reflect the change.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Home Services For This Useful Post:
CapeCodder (05-08-2009), CarterConstruct (05-13-2009), Century Man (05-05-2009), ClosetPro (05-05-2009), constmgt (05-07-2009), Darwin (05-05-2009), Ed the Roofer (05-05-2009), genecarp (05-05-2009), Handymanservice (05-07-2009), Jason Whipple (05-05-2009), poolcageman (05-05-2009), rbsremodeling (05-05-2009), SquirrelNmoose (05-06-2009), tommytwo (05-06-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

Re: Dramatically Increase Your Sales

Good post.

Funny how I pictured different clients faces while reading through the list.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Pro

Jason - I know what you mean. I have been doing this for so many years now, I can stand just inside a prospects doorway, look around what I can see of their house, talk to them for less than 30 seconds & have their dominate personality type figured out.

It's like everything else, the more you do it, the better (and more accurate) you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Having spent some years selling both B2B and B2C, I enjoyed reading that post. I couldn't help thinking about the virtual equivalent that is just as true. These same 4 personality types exist in cyberspace too. The names may get changed to protect the innocent, but the characteristics, and the ability to combine different types with one usually being the most dominant, remains the same.

I mention this because company web sites rarely consider this in their design. Imagine trying to sell to every person the same way, yet web sites often do that. Since this was a great post, it also has a lot of added value to consider for every member here when they look at their web sites, brochures, or any other marketing materials.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Construction & Home Improvement Services
Rewards Points: 500

I'm lovin' this thread... I'm a combination of a few of these personalities... can you guess which one?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I'm lovin' this thread... I'm a combination of a few of these personalities... can you guess which one?
From your name... I'm guessing you change every couple of years! LOL

~Matt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BreyerConstruct For This Useful Post:
Darwin (05-05-2009), fez-head (05-07-2009), rbsremodeling (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Thank you for that insight. What is your feeling on trying to sell to the analytical person? I can't remember who was saying it (Brian T. Or Zig Z.) that said "back slowly towards the door and say thank you for your time and leave"

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Coming out of the closet

Trade: Closet Design-Install-Remodel
Rewards Points: 75

GREAT post! I've been in sales all my life and always knew of the different "types" of prospects..... just never knew they had a name. I always bragged to family & friends how I can "read" a client and adjust my personality to give them what they want. Sales are a blast, especially when they are buying!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Pro

I think "back slowly to the door..." was Ziglar, can't remember for sure.

I strongly agree that there are some jobs/customers you don't want for various reasons - we have all had them. Framerman, you bring up a good point - the Analytical person is tough in more ways that one.

When the analytical gets home from work, they will make a beeline to the area your working in, even before they drop their briefcase or IPod. They want to make sure that everything done that day meets their expectations.

With that said, "expectations" is the key word here. If you are going to sell and accept a job from an analytical, the expectations MUST be discussed (and agreed upon, preferrably in writting) BEFORE any work starts or contract is signed. P.S. Engineers are the worst!!!

IMHO, we, as an industry, have let the consumer call too many shots - when my appendix burst a few years ago, I didn't tell the surgeon how to remove it.

My company is fortunatly busy enough, that we have the luxury of firing a customer/prospect if there is the slightest hint of a problem beyond our control - you get the idea...

Contractors need to realize that a bad job loses money twice - the job that has gone sour & the good profit job you could have been doing in it's place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Home Services For This Useful Post:
nEighter (05-05-2009)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Services View Post

Contractors need to realize that a bad job loses money twice - the job that has gone sour & the good profit job you could have been doing in it's place.
No doubt!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
No doubt!
Ditto this. There have been a few jobs (2 last year come to mind) where we would have been better off keeping the crew on the payroll and doing nothing.
One where we could have taken them to Disney on the clock... ah, the lessons learned...)

~Matt
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Pro

You don't have to be crazy to be in this business...

But it sure does help!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Smart phone? Scan me!

Trade: Painting/Framing/Drywall
Rewards Points: 1,008

I love these threads! Thanks for posting it!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

"can tell that it is Matt & Ed’s also) (How to recognize) This type will do business & make a quick decision but, they are going to have “fun” doing it! This type likes to joke around, tends to be unorganized (not a slob, but a lot of loose papers on their desk), usually very talkative & animated."

But I still know where everything is at, LOL.

1. My Desk

2. Secretery's Desk that I have to use because I can't find my desk

3. Estmators Desk, All those card files are filled up with archived photos from the past 25 years and all indexed.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Dramatically Increase Your Sales-100_1873.jpg   Dramatically Increase Your Sales-100_1874.jpg   Dramatically Increase Your Sales-resized-eds-office-100_1852.jpg  

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 05-05-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Pro

Ed, looks just like my desk... after I've cleaned it!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #16

Trade: Designer for a residential design/build firm.
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post

1. My Desk

Ed
Ack!!!! Ed, you're killing me!

Do they have an Organizer personality on that list? Because I've redesigned your office already.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
"can tell that it is Matt & Ed’s also) (How to recognize) This type will do business & make a quick decision but, they are going to have “fun” doing it! This type likes to joke around, tends to be unorganized (not a slob, but a lot of loose papers on their desk), usually very talkative & animated."

1. My Desk

3. Estmators Desk, All those card files are filled up with archived photos from the past 25 years and all indexed.

Ed
I keep looking at these pictures and feel like sending Molly The Maid on my behalf. Really, it looks like a typical contractor's office.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

How long til the 'Post a Picture of Your Desk' thread gets kicked off?
Old 05-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

I apologize for getting this very appreciated topic drifted off onto my desk photos.

It was intended to convey some accuracy regarding the "Expressive" Personality type, but seemed to detract from the threads main purpose.

Please ignore those photos and continue on with the appropriate topic discussion.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 05-06-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
Pro

No problem Ed. I showed your pictures to my secretary, so she would quit bitchen' at me for the way mine usually looks...PRICELESS!

Advertisement