Domain, Web Site, Email - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Domain, Web Site, Email

Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting-Drywall-Restoration-Pressurewashing-
Rewards Points: 77

Domain, Web Site, Email

Hi Everyone...

I'm finally moving forward with the web site et al. I've purchased several domain names and now need to move forward into the process of building a site, having it hosted, and creating an email addy that links to it.

I know many of you have already gone through the process, and hope that I could get some quality suggestions. 've noticed certain compaines have the "CALL US NOW" link and other little add-ons that seem consumer friendly.

Is yahoo good? Should I just use GoDaddy for everything from hosting to site building? Wordpress?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 11,486

Re: Domain, Web Site, Email

I have never had problems with 1and1.com for hosting, but I know some other people have. I register all of my domain names with godaddy though.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I have never had problems with 1and1.com for hosting, but I know some other people have. I register all of my domain names with godaddy though.
What were there problems...?

What email do you use, or should I assume that you use the 1and1.com?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 11,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPainter View Post
What were there problems...?

What email do you use, or should I assume that you use the 1and1.com?
Im not sure of the problems, like I have said I have never had any problems with them. When you pay for hosting, you get so many email accounts free and it is very easy to set up.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
I know many of you have already gone through the process, and hope that I could get some quality suggestions. 've noticed certain compaines have the "CALL US NOW" link and other little add-ons that seem consumer friendly.
There a variety of little "widgets" such as the Call Me Now, etc... that you can add once you're website is online. I wouldn't worry too much about these sort of gimmicks though.

Quote:
Is yahoo good? Should I just use GoDaddy for everything from hosting to site building? Wordpress?
As for hosting 1&1 is a good host. I have used them in the past but have since moved everything I do online to LiquidWeb because of their outstanding customer service and support.

GoDaddy is fine for the domains, I've been using them for years.

Once you have a web host (if you have cpanel) you can create as many emails addresses with @yourcompanyname.com as you like.

Wordpress could be an option for site creation as well... You may want to pay for a custom theme though. Wordpress can be installed with 1 click if your webhost provides Fantastico. Then it's just customize and optimize!

Good Luck!

Carl Sorensen
Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 134

Research - do they have multiple servers in case 1 crashes, how quickly can they get your site back up, do they make backups, features available. What OS are they using for hosting your site - Linux & Windows both have there pro's & con's. Internet connection speed - does your web site load quickly or does it load like it is on Dial Up. Who is designing your site, most companies offer the service but the prices can climb quickly. You may wish to find a local designer that knows the business & have him post it up to your hosting company. Be careful, with a local designer hosting the site on their web servers (see above)

Go Daddy - awesome place & yes they host my site. However, I am partial, I met them back when I lived in Arizona. Sorry, I don't know about 1&1
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

My site is a wordpress design and I highly recommend it or some other CMS platform. They work great for keeping your site updated and have built in SEO as well.

I use GoDaddy for my domains (starting to get too many!) and I use iBusinessLogic for everything else.

Check out my site, I paid for the design and set up, but I maintain it myself and have reached the front page in Google for 12 out of 20 of my main search terms in only 2mos. I plan to be on front page for all of them before season kicks in (spring).

If you have any questions, feel free to call or email me.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 152

The person that set up our website used wordpress , so we could make our own changes to the website. She used Ipower.com to host our site.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Puppy Old Man
Rewards Points: 250

You will find complaints for every hosting service, and you will find cheerleaders too.

Find the hosting platform that makes the most sense and is easiest to use for your skills.

It's worth the price of a month's service just to see if you like it. Try 2 or 3 of them out, and see which one clicks for you.

If you have just one, or a handful of sites, all the popular hosts work OK.

The cool thing is, no matter which one you use, you can easily find a video tutorial for any problem you are likely to come across. It's pretty amazing really. Just do a search. There aren't many problems that haven't already been solved, documented, and turned into a video.

The Construction Marketing Blog
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 578

Quote:
Research - do they have multiple servers in case 1 crashes, how quickly can they get your site back up, do they make backups, features available. What OS are they using for hosting your site - Linux & Windows both have there pro's & con's. Internet connection speed - does your web site load quickly or does it load like it is on Dial Up. Who is designing your site, most companies offer the service but the prices can climb quickly. You may wish to find a local designer that knows the business & have him post it up to your hosting company. Be careful, with a local designer hosting the site on their web servers (see above)
Exactly why liquidweb gets my vote... My "other" sales site network receives over 50,000,000 (that's 50 million) visitors per year... I needed a webhost that could keep up. Liquidweb owns a massive datacenter, staffed with level III server technicians... Any issue with your website and you have an english speaking tech on the phone within 2 minutes... It doesn't matter if it's 2am, they will have somebody there ready to help.

Carl Sorensen
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethHoldren View Post
You will find complaints for every hosting service, and you will find cheerleaders too.

Find the hosting platform that makes the most sense and is easiest to use for your skills.

It's worth the price of a month's service just to see if you like it. Try 2 or 3 of them out, and see which one clicks for you.

If you have just one, or a handful of sites, all the popular hosts work OK.

The cool thing is, no matter which one you use, you can easily find a video tutorial for any problem you are likely to come across. It's pretty amazing really. Just do a search. There aren't many problems that haven't already been solved, documented, and turned into a video.
I'm shy about jumping right in because I was thoroughly unsatisfied with my superpages website from 2003. They charged a lot and the site looked awful. I'd like to do it myself and have a plug and play type interface... I'm not sure if I've found that yet.

I wsn't comfortable the templates at 1and1 or GoDaddy buy I really need to take action soon. My eyes are bleeding from the research.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
Exactly why liquidweb gets my vote... My "other" sales site network receives over 50,000,000 (that's 50 million) visitors per year... I needed a webhost that could keep up. Liquidweb owns a massive datacenter, staffed with level III server technicians... Any issue with your website and you have an english speaking tech on the phone within 2 minutes... It doesn't matter if it's 2am, they will have somebody there ready to help.

Carl Sorensen

I may receive 1000 hits a year, or something close to that- who knows.
I want to make sure the page doesn't load like it's dial-up and that I can have an aesthetically pleasing- user-friendly site. I'll up the ante down the line.

I tried word press before and maybe I missed a step but it didn't work. I want something that's dummy-proof, as I'd like to jump into a website builder with a full head of steam and not have to waste more time.

I swear, from reseaching all of the posibilities, comparing contractor websites and 'looking around', my eyesite has deteriorated from 20/20 to 75/120.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Welcome to the 21st. century. When you regged your names, each came with an e-mail addy. You MOW have your own dot-com addy!
Skip the Yahoo BS and go to your registrar and log-in. Under whichever name(s) you want to use, set up the e-mail and you're good to go. Works with Outlook and Express, Eudora, etc as a 'pop3' account.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

I reread and see you have GD. Just click on e-mail accounts and you'll be set in minutes.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Builder/Remodeler

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,054

I've been with GoDaddy for registration and hosting since 2004 and I'm very happy with them. Any issues I've ever had--I was able to get a real person on the phone when needed or an email response within a few hours.

I built my site from scratch using FrontPage, and now maintain it with Expression Web. If you've never done web publishing, optimization, etc. you're in for a steep learning curve. If you can afford it, I would hire a good designer to put together something that you can then maintain on your own.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
I reread and see you have GD. Just click on e-mail accounts and you'll be set in minutes.
I like the site. You've got a good niche and let your personality and pride shine through. Good stuff!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Google for "godaddy coupon codes" and save a few dollars on each one. I learned that a $3.00 savings is a big deal once my collection grew to a hundred or so domains.

I have used Godaddy in the past for hosting and in my opinion they suck. Hostgator is OK but they go down more than I care for. If you start to collect sites a well managed VPS is a fun solution.

As I have mentioned before wordpress, some plug-ins and a custom or modified theme work fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrWright View Post
I've been with GoDaddy for registration and hosting since 2004 and I'm very happy with them. Any issues I've ever had--I was able to get a real person on the phone when needed or an email response within a few hours.

I built my site from scratch using FrontPage, and now maintain it with Expression Web. If you've never done web publishing, optimization, etc. you're in for a steep learning curve. If you can afford it, I would hire a good designer to put together something that you can then maintain on your own.

Ah, the steep learning curve...

Last edited by NJPainter; 04-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Puppy Old Man
Rewards Points: 250

Seriously, whatever you can't figure out, do a search for a video tutorial. It's the only way to go.

You can easily learn everything from "how to upload" all the way to "how to design CSS that emits aroma therapy from your visitor's computer speakers."

OK, well, maybe not that last one. But you can learn a lot really fast.

The Construction Marketing Blog
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #20
Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle!

Trade: Web Development
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
As for hosting 1&1 is a good host. I have used them in the past but have since moved everything I do online to LiquidWeb because of their outstanding customer service and support.

Wordpress could be an option for site creation as well... You may want to pay for a custom theme though. Wordpress can be installed with 1 click if your webhost provides Fantastico. Then it's just customize and optimize!
I agree with carlsore. 1&1 is good but certainly not the only one around. I've used them for years and still do.

I also agree that Wordpress is a great solution and will have you up and running, getting result's the fastest. Plus you can maintain it yourself right from the start. If you want to learn to make your own, put a Wordpress site up and start getting traffic while you tinker with learning new skills on a version 2 of your site.

Advertisement

Website Development -contact me @ GeekSpecialties.com