Cut Vinyl Lettering - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Cut Vinyl Lettering

Old 11-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,828

Cut Vinyl Lettering

Hey Guys,

So I just got my van a few weeks ago, its a 2002 Ford E250, I know not the newest or the best but I am just starting to take my business from a side business to a full time one, and am trying to keep cost down while I transition.

Currently I have a 12" x 24" magnet on my van with my company info, but its way to small for my liking.

Does anyone know where I can get cut vinyl lettering for my van without paying 9$ a letter plus shipping like some of the sites I have found.

I am located in Canada so that puts most of the major players in the US out of my reach (dont like paying 100$ or more to ship something).

So if anyone has a place they used for their vinyl lettering Id love to hear where you got it!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Cut Vinyl Lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
Hey Guys,

So I just got my van a few weeks ago, its a 2002 Ford E250, I know not the newest or the best but I am just starting to take my business from a side business to a full time one, and am trying to keep cost down while I transition.

Currently I have a 12" x 24" magnet on my van with my company info, but its way to small for my liking.

Does anyone know where I can get cut vinyl lettering for my van without paying 9$ a letter plus shipping like some of the sites I have found.

I am located in Canada so that puts most of the major players in the US out of my reach (dont like paying 100$ or more to ship something).

So if anyone has a place they used for their vinyl lettering Id love to hear where you got it!
You'd be amazed at how cheap lettering can be if you just have somebody do it for you.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
You'd be amazed at how cheap lettering can be if you just have somebody do it for you.
Any suggestions on someone/somewhere I can get it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,429

Quote:
Any suggestions on someone/somewhere I can get it done?
Here ya go --->Vinyl lettering Ontario

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (11-29-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 94

try Sign11.com I lettered my vans and trucks on both sides and the back door for $70 per vehicle

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,500

I'd love to find a decent place too...I've installed them, but prices for lettering around here are all over the board, nearly $90 for 18x24 vinyl that I install...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,364

I would definitely look for a really good deal on letting that will be on your truck, outside, 24/7 for somewhere around 4 years. What could go wrong.

Does no one have the guy pinstripe the whole truck when he letters it anymore? Back in the day I was paying 300 or so for 2 doors and some spaghetti all over it.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,278

If you have the graphic file ready it is cheap. If not, then you have to pay for that which is why it costs so much. I can get both doors done for 90 bucks or so installed and guaranteed, with my own graphic file.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Ink Slinger

Trade: Retired Builder. Now graphics vendor to the trades
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrat View Post
I'd love to find a decent place too...I've installed them, but prices for lettering around here are all over the board, nearly $90 for 18x24 vinyl that I install...
Is that per piece or per pair?

This is a site that I am developing. I've been sending yard signs all over the country and guys have really started asking about vehicle graphics.

I offer a pair of 24x18 for $79.95. A pair of 24" x 24" is $99.95. A pair of 48" x 24" is $179.95. Prices quoted include basic design layout. It is all full color printed vinyl. I don't offer cut vinyl yet.

http://www.sign2day.com/category/pro...adhesive-back/
Attached Thumbnails
Cut Vinyl Lettering-doug-truck-trailer.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Is that per piece or per pair?

This is a site that I am developing. I've been sending yard signs all over the country and guys have really started asking about vehicle graphics.

I offer a pair of 24x18 for $79.95. A pair of 24" x 24" is $99.95. A pair of 48" x 24" is $179.95. Prices quoted include basic design layout. It is all full color printed vinyl. I don't offer cut vinyl yet.

http://www.sign2day.com/category/pro...adhesive-back/
Do you print it on a clear base (like on the truck?) I may be willing to make an order with ya!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I would definitely look for a really good deal on letting that will be on your truck, outside, 24/7 for somewhere around 4 years. What could go wrong.

Does no one have the guy pinstripe the whole truck when he letters it anymore? Back in the day I was paying 300 or so for 2 doors and some spaghetti all over it.
Yeah, I get that sometimes a deal isn't a deal...but "back in the day" prices have gone up, which is fine, but spending $400 to letter up his 2002 van (my trucks are '96-'02 trucks as well) doesn't always make sense...would I spend 25% of the truck's value in lettering, knowing that the tranny could puke next week? Budget doesn't allow a 'newer' vehicle currently, otherwise I'd be more apt to invest more in lettering
Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Ink Slinger

Quote:
Do you print it on a clear base (like on the truck?) I may be willing to make an order with ya!
All prints are full color on white vinyl.

I can sample the color from your truck, reproduce that as the background color of sign and then it usually blends in pretty well. That is what is shown on the truck above.

The customer was very happy with the color match but he was even more tickled when he sold two jobs from the new signage within the first week.

Let me know before you place an order, I can get you a free shipping code. It saves $10.00.

There is no charge for basic sign design/layout.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #13

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 916

Quote:
doesn't always make sense...would I spend 25% of the truck's value in lettering, knowing that the tranny could puke next week?

For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap.

I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Roofing and siding
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle
For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap. I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.
Just beware of the cheap vinyl, we did a few on our own and the sun had them faded and peeling of the truck in a couple of years.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
For a little under $300 you could get yourself a cutter and some vinyl and do it yourself over and over. Plus your own yard signs. Roll vinyl is cheap.

I bought 8" cutter years ago and it has paid for itself tenfold. I use it for all sorts of things. Letter your office window. Things for friends for pocket change. You can get the vinyl for T-shirts and do you own shirts as well. I change the blade and cut paint masks also. These are just a few I things I do with my CNC cutter.
Mind = Blown... what brand do you have? For $300-500 I'd almost be insane not to get my own, spend some of these dark winter nights making up some new signs as practice, and then try out the truck...now you have me thinking...though admittedly I don't mind the thought of a full color single sticker for the ease of installing it/removing it later on...
Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 916

Quote:
Mind = Blown... what brand do you have? For $300-500 I'd almost be insane not to get my own, spend some of these dark winter nights making up some new signs as practice, and then try out the truck...now you have me thinking...though admittedly I don't mind the thought of a full color single sticker for the ease of installing it/removing it later on...
http://www.rolanddga.com/products/cutters/stika/

I've got the Roland STX-8. Looks like they don't make that model anymore. My cutter was about $300 when I got it 10 years ago. Looks like the new models come with a little higher price tag. I've seen some others on e-bay for less than $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All City View Post
Just beware of the cheap vinyl, we did a few on our own and the sun had them faded and peeling of the truck in a couple of years.
Yes, there are different grades of vinyl. Some made to last 2 years, some made to last 10 years. Some colors fade faster than others as well. Pay a little more, it lasts a little longer. With a little research you can figure out what works best for your needs.

I'm not a sign maker nor do I want to take business from someone. I'm sure a sign guy has forgotten more info on vinyl than I know about it.

Buying a cutter just worked for my needs. Now I use it for all kinds of stuff.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Pro

Timo, what is your shipping prices like to Canada? I think I may also look into the price of a cutter, anyone got any recommendations?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,224

Old 12-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Ink Slinger

Quote:
Timo, what is your shipping prices like to Canada? I think I may also look into the price of a cutter, anyone got any recommendations?
Shipping to Canada can be fairly inexpensive. PM me your address if you want an exact quote.

Roland Gx-24 is a good cutter to start with.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,364

Im going to letter my truck this summer and im going to spend a ton of money on it just to balance the force in this thread

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (12-02-2013), heavy_d (08-31-2014)