Cost Per Day Advertising On FB - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Cost Per Day Advertising On FB

Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 1,096

Cost Per Day Advertising On FB

To any MOD viewing, this is not the same as the Facebook thread listed in my signature!

The ad has my logo and a 90 character allowable writeup. When clicked, it links to my business FB page and the writing is "Do you need a new roof? Contact us today for a full roof analysis and a free estimate!"

The targeted audience is M/F over 28 yrs old, in Warwick, a larger RI city with over 30k Facebook users that fit this description. This city is broken into about 10-15 sub-sections where most contain homes I view to be my targeted customers. Warwick also has many people with money to reinvest in their homes and almost all of the neighborhoods are neatly prepped and groomed. I would say 90% of the homeowners take pride in their homes.

The main objection to this ad is to increase the likes in my page from local homeowners, specifically my target city. Facebook ads track on quite a few parameters, like social reach, campaign reach, clicks, frequency % and click through rate %. I'll track a few of those on here on a nightly basis.

This might be beneficial but having never used it I have no way of knowing, if $5(they suggest $5, $10 or $20) is way to little per day or if targeting 1 city as I am will not reach a wide enough market. Stay tuned if interested.
Page 77 has the updated, complete list.

Last edited by MattK; 03-12-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 346

Re: Cost Per Day Advertising On FB

Hi Matt,

I don't work with FB PPC advertising but a few people I know do. I do manage several Adwords campaigns.

My feeling on small PPC budgets is that they can work just fine if you're managing them but are prohibitively expensive in service fees if you're having someone manage it for you, e.g. paying someone $100 a month to manage $500+ in PPC vs. paying someone $50 per month to manage $150 in PPC.

I've started a number of PPC campaigns out very small(<$10 per day) and it's worked well for helping me avoid overspending on irrelevant keywords or poorly performing ads. If you're willing to put in the hours then there's really no reason to stretch a budget out very far other than for repeat exposure to the same customer. IMO, you can get that in a week with a site like FB. Lower budgets need more time to show there true potential, or lack thereof.

The most important thing for analyzing PPC, to me, is to have a solid conversion tracking system. If you can't measure the conversions then you're working without a very critical bit of info. Some ads pull lots of clicks but don't convert which makes them far more expensive than ads that are rarely clicked but have a high conversion rate.

TL;DR - $5 a day is fine if you're doing the work yourself.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
MattK (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Hi Matt,

I don't work with FB PPC advertising but a few people I know do. I do manage several Adwords campaigns.

My feeling on small PPC budgets is that they can work just fine if you're managing them but are prohibitively expensive in service fees if you're having someone manage it for you, e.g. paying someone $100 a month to manage $500+ in PPC vs. paying someone $50 per month to manage $150 in PPC.

I've started a number of PPC campaigns out very small(<$10 per day) and it's worked well for helping me avoid overspending on irrelevant keywords or poorly performing ads. If you're willing to put in the hours then there's really no reason to stretch a budget out very far other than for repeat exposure to the same customer. IMO, you can get that in a week with a site like FB. Lower budgets need more time to show there true potential, or lack thereof.

The most important thing for analyzing PPC, to me, is to have a solid conversion tracking system. If you can't measure the conversions then you're working without a very critical bit of info. Some ads pull lots of clicks but don't convert which makes them far more expensive than ads that are rarely clicked but have a high conversion rate.

TL;DR - $5 a day is fine if you're doing the work yourself.
Great input Ethan. To answer a few of your points. I will be doing all the managing myself and the $5/day is a jumping off point. If the ad performs any level above horrible, I will begin varying it slightly to re-release and start doing comparative tracking between wordings. I also with the help of a few guys on here created a nice lead tracking spreadsheet to track phone calls converting to appointments and appointments converting to sales. Broken down by sector and subsector.

The primary goal of this ad is to increase my "likes" and visual presence on people living in Warwick. Hopefully it will show some promise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Trade: Landscaping/Maintenance
Rewards Points: 111

I've been thnking of doing an ad. Interested in how this turns out.
MattK (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Pro

Day 1
Only a half day as I launched the ad after lunch.
$5/day budget

Campaign Reach (FB users in my targeted range who saw the ad) - 803

Frequency (Avg. # times each user sees my ad) - 1.9

Social Reach (users seeing my ad and their friends have previously liked my page) - 10;
I imagine something like this is written right under the ad: "John Doe also likes MRK Builders, LLC or Jane Smith and 3 other friends also like MRK Builders, LLC.

Clicks on the ad - 1

Click through rate - 0.067%

"Likes" received off of clicks - 0

Total Spent - $1.46

Last edited by MattK; 03-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

I tried facebook ppc 18 months ago and never could get an ad that performed well.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

There is a lengthy cnversation about this somewhere. Perhaps try a google search which works better than this sites search feature. I have had a good deal of success with my campaigns. Its all about the message. There are some tricks to it also like anything else....
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Pro

Totals are calculated cumulatively going forward.

Campaign Reach
D1 - 803
D2 - 1,784
D3 - 2,598

Frequency
D1 - 1.9
D2 - 2.4
D3 - 2.7

Social Reach
D1 - 10
D2 - 64
D3 - 116

Clicks on the ad
D1 - 1
D2 - 6
D3 - 7

Click through rate %
D1 - 0.067%
D2 - 0.143%
D3 - 0.099%

Total Spent
D1 - $1.46
D2 - $4.42
D3 - $10.62

"Likes" received off of clicks
D1 - 0
D2 - 1*
D3 - 1*

* - I received a "like" the night of 03/12/13 from an old coworker's sister. She must have seen "her sister's name likes MRK Builders, LLC". The problem is she then unliked it. So she either hit the button twice by accident and didn't realise she removed her "like" or she hit it the first time accidentally and proceeded to unlike it.
...Women

The ad is showing mild action but I am going to let it play out for 10 days to establish a base line of whats to be expected. Having read of others and their ads, it seems I might have limited myself with just one city. We'll see going forward.

Last edited by MattK; 03-14-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
There is a lengthy cnversation about this somewhere. Perhaps try a google search which works better than this sites search feature. I have had a good deal of success with my campaigns. Its all about the message. There are some tricks to it also like anything else....
Happy to have found the other convo! I read the entire thing and will be looking to learn the tricks or the FB advertising trade.

Day 3 results right above.

Last edited by MattK; 03-14-2013 at 05:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
ohiohomedoctor (03-16-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

I have been playing with FB ads as well. Same $5 a day. I had one ad that I ran for a week and got 1 like, and now the ad I am running now has gotten 2 or 3 a day for the past four days. I paused it because I need to figure out what to do with these likes beforeI spend more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Pro

Campaign Reach
D1 - 803
D2 - 1,784
D3 - 2,598
D4 - 3,125

Frequency
D1 - 1.9
D2 - 2.4
D3 - 2.7
D4 - 2.9

Social Reach
D1 - 10
D2 - 64
D3 - 116
D4 - 156

Clicks on the ad
D1 - 1
D2 - 6
D3 - 7
D4 - 11

Click through rate %
D1 - 0.067%
D2 - 0.143%
D3 - 0.099%
D4 - 0.122%

Total Spent
D1 - $1.46
D2 - $4.42
D3 - $10.62
D4 - $15.60

D1 - 0
D2 - 1*
D3 - 1*
D4 - 2; 1 regular, 1*

* - I received a "like" the night of 03/12/13 from an old coworker's sister. She must have seen "her sister's name likes MRK Builders, LLC". The problem is she then unliked it. So she either hit the button twice by accident and didn't realise she removed her "like" or she hit it the first time accidentally and proceeded to unlike it.
...Women

The ad is showing mild action but I am going to let it play out for 10 days to establish a base line of whats to be expected. Having read of others and their ads, it seems I might have limited myself with just one city. We'll see going forward.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeson1776 View Post
I have been playing with FB ads as well. Same $5 a day. I had one ad that I ran for a week and got 1 like, and now the ad I am running now has gotten 2 or 3 a day for the past four days. I paused it because I need to figure out what to do with these likes beforeI spend more money.
I would have kept it going. Why pause it? You obviously have a winner if $5/day is bringing in 3 likes consistently. That should turn into a job or two.

If you don't mind, it would be helpful to post both ads up here for all to see the changes you made to gain a higher result.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Rockford Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 256

I tinkered with FB ads twice. If you are a national or global firm, you would have better success. As for local targeted marketing, It's a farce, You would do better with Goober (name intentionally misspelled)

Targeting does not work as claimed, People outside my area and across the nation were seeing my ads despite my settings. I've seen other contractor ads on my phone from other states recently. This signals that FB hasn't fixed their sh*t in this respect.

Those stats you see, for impressions and such would not be accurate, sure I got a few likes and solicitations. But not the desired results that are claimed or could be. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Now they censor so to speak to coerced in paying for promoted posts...
'em.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomBuilders View Post
I tinkered with FB ads twice. If you are a national or global firm, you would have better success. As for local targeted marketing, It's a farce, You would do better with Goober (name intentionally misspelled)

Targeting does not work as claimed, People outside my area and across the nation were seeing my ads despite my settings. I've seen other contractor ads on my phone from other states recently. This signals that FB hasn't fixed their sh*t in this respect.

Those stats you see, for impressions and such would not be accurate, sure I got a few likes and solicitations. But not the desired results that are claimed or could be. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Now they censor so to speak to coerced in paying for promoted posts...
'em.
I can't speak to the servers targeting nationally. From what I've seen, it appears to be in my locally set range. What I will say is my $5/day doesn't buy anywhere near 100% of my range. I am probably reaching 8-10% of the people in Warwick, with a portion of those being socially reached.

When you weren't pleased with your ad's results, did you modify it or reword it and kick it back out there?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post

I can't speak to the servers targeting nationally. From what I've seen, it appears to be in my locally set range. What I will say is my $5/day doesn't buy anywhere near 100% of my range. I am probably reaching 8-10% of the people in Warwick, with a portion of those being socially reached.

When you weren't pleased with your ad's results, did you modify it or reword it and kick it back out there?
I spent my college days in an apartment above the Mediterranean on federal hill. I have lots of interesting friends around their.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohomedoctor View Post
I spent my college days in an apartment above the Mediterranean on federal hill. I have lots of interesting friends around their.
Interesting is a good word to use. The hill is nice, lots of good restaurants and a short run to downtown.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK View Post
I would have kept it going. Why pause it? You obviously have a winner if $5/day is bringing in 3 likes consistently. That should turn into a job or two.

If you don't mind, it would be helpful to post both ads up here for all to see the changes you made to gain a higher result.
Because I don't have any money

I actually got 14 likes in 5 or 6 days, and 18 clicks. No leads yet.

ArboRx Tree Care - Likes - Ad

[Paused]

Auto
Optimized CPM

$1.32
Optimized CPM

Ad:
Organic Fruit Tree Care [picture of apples on a tree]
Do you have fruit trees? "Like" us for useful articles on fruit tree care in Colorado.
Like 27 people like ArboRx Tree Care.

Actions?
Campaign Reach?
Frequency?
Social Reach?
Clicks?
Click Through Rate?
0.084%
Total Spent?
$28.29

I deleted the other ad, but it was just my company name as the title and something generic about tree care. Being more specific about somehting people are interested in (fruit trees) has been more successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
Pro

I hate paying for work too but such is life in this business. The ad obviously hit a very specific market and although you didn't get a huge amount of clicks from the campaign reach times almost 3 view each, you have a HUGE click to like ratio. 14 out of 18 is very very impressive. If/when you decide to re-run the ad, I would go right back to this one and possible increase the costs and reach to really push business. Does your biz page have fruit tree info or just photos and posts? It's part of my next step...asking questions and pushing a call to action in the FB ad, and clearly having answers and a continuing conversation once they him my page.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Pro

Campaign Reach
D1 - 803
D2 - 1,784
D3 - 2,598
D4 - 3,125
D5 - 3,837

Frequency
D1 - 1.9
D2 - 2.4
D3 - 2.7
D4 - 2.9
D5 - 3.0

Social Reach
D1 - 10
D2 - 64
D3 - 116
D4 - 156
D5 - 192

Clicks on the ad
D1 - 1
D2 - 6
D3 - 7
D4 - 11
D5 - 11

Click through rate %
D1 - 0.067%
D2 - 0.143%
D3 - 0.099%
D4 - 0.122%
D5 - 0.094%

Total Spent
D1 - $1.46
D2 - $4.42
D3 - $10.62
D4 - $15.60
D5 - $17.10

D1 - 0
D2 - 1*
D3 - 1*
D4 - 2; 1 regular, 1*
D5 - 2; 1 regular, 1*

...Women

5 days into the ad and it doesn't seem to be doing much at all. This will probably be the last update. Might be time to rework the writing, or change the picture. Something to still some chit up.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 346

Run a few ads simultaneously to iron out the kinks if you have to market, which it seems you do. Doing it one at a time costs the same but you add another variable. Plus, you have to wait much longer for your results.

Advertisement