Cost Of Google Adwords (Pay Per Click PPC) - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Cost Of Google Adwords (Pay Per Click PPC)

Old 08-28-2013, 07:35 PM  

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 32

Cost Of Google Adwords (Pay Per Click PPC)

I'm trying my first Google Adword campaign. I read a thread on here, from Sept. 2010, where a contractor outlined how he was having success using phrases and low bids like $.05 and $.10 each. I'm starting my max out at $.50.

For those of you who have run Google Adword campaigns, what did you end up spending per click.

If anyone is in the Washington DC area I would especially be interest hear your experiences. I'm targeting lower Montgomery County and upper NW DC.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM  
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Re: Cost Of Google Adwords (Pay Per Click PPC)

That should work really well if your trying to rank for "pink nematodal window replacement in south hamptonshire not vinyl not wood not fiberglass not expensive not cheap".

You get what you pay for. The trick is to find the right balance between clicks, calls, conversions and profitable work. I shoot for about 10% of gross.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM  

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
That should work really well if your trying to rank for "pink nematodal window replacement in south hamptonshire not vinyl not wood not fiberglass not expensive not cheap".

You get what you pay for. The trick is to find the right balance between clicks, calls, conversions and profitable work. I shoot for about 10% of gross.
Metro, thanks for the response. I can understand spending 10% of your gross on advertising. What I am interested in is what people have actually spent (bid) on their keywords. Was it $5.00 per keyword, $8.00 per keyword or was it 52 cents?
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 PM  
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

$.05-$.10 clicks went the way of the dodo. In 2006 I was getting tons of terms like that but competition ups the price(as well as Google). About the lowest that I'm getting now with any kind of clickthrough and conversion is $.75. Those are very specific keywords with 8/10-9/10 ratings. About the highest I pay is $2.50.

Given that our businesses are very localized it's impossible to guess what you will need to pay for decent conversion without at least using some of the prediction tools. Mock up your campaigns and see if you can't get some rough ideas using the keyword planner in Adwords.

Laying out your keywords into good ad groups and writing good copy is VERY important in achieving good cpc.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
QualityContract (05-15-2014)
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM  
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

I was going to say what Ethan said: Those cheap clicks don't exist any more. You can't have highly specific keywords anymore, Google will disqualify them for being "low search volume".

I pay about $4.50 on average but that's been going down as my CTR goes up. It depends on the keyword too: some I bid $1 and some I bid as high as $8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM  
Particulate Filter

Good copy is critical.

Tell you my ctr if you tell me yours.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM  
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Good copy is critical.

Tell you my ctr if you tell me yours.
Usually between 1-2% if I'm being very frugal with the cpc. I've hit 10%+ on certain things that I thought were worth it but the price was high.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 AM  
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

$2-$5 per click. Things have changed since that thread in 2010. Many more businesses now use Adwords; Google has provided outstanding tools; keywords have been thoroughly explored, and prices for effective keywords have been bid up.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM  
Pro

Trade: Tree Care
Rewards Points: 252

My CTR is .5 to 2.25 depending on what it is.

It's been kind of strange though; I've been weeding out the poor performing ads and keywords, and adding tons of irrelevant negative keywords and it seems to barely move the CTR. Like if I had a keyword with hundreds of impressions and no clicks, I'd just delete it, and I'd expect a big bump in my CTR but it never really happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashheatingand View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like to read as much as the next guy, but, not on the first date.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM  
Particulate Filter

Im between 1 and 2 percent ctr as well. I suspect the ctr doesnt change because that probably reflective of the market share of the key word youve bid on. Ie google has fifty guys that are going to hit their daily budget one way or another and that is the prevalence of clicks that works for google to max its daily revenue.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM  
PRO

Rewards Points: 1,004

Instead of budgeting a per click budget, what you should be doing is budgeting a monthly budget for adwords.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM  
Pro

Trade: Contractor for fema (disaster recovery division)
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I'm trying my first Google Adword campaign. I read a thread on here, from Sept. 2010, where a contractor outlined how he was having success using phrases and low bids like $.05 and $.10 each. I'm starting my max out at $.50.

For those of you who have run Google Adword campaigns, what did you end up spending per click.

If anyone is in the Washington DC area I would especially be interest hear your experiences. I'm targeting lower Montgomery County and upper NW DC.

Thanks
that was 3 years ago , in internet life its like 24 years ago, just saying
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM  

Trade: Landscape design, construction, irrigation
Rewards Points: 75

I'm somewhere between $2.80 and $4.25 depending on keyword.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM  

Trade: Google AdWords, Local SEO, Facebook Advertising
Rewards Points: 10

These days it depends on what local area you're targeting and exactly what keywords you want to go for. Want to bid on "roofing contractor il?" Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $8-$12/click, depending on your quality score. Want to bid on "commercial roofing contractor" with geo targeting within IL? Expect to pay upward of $15-$22 depending on quality score.

The key is to track conversions carefully (including call tracking) so you know exactly what keywords are sending you the good leads.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:05 PM  
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 10,920

Typically does everyone who ranks organically for these search terms also do PPC? For my better keywords I just rank more then one page, maybe my yelp page too. Much cheaper then ppc, or am I doing it wrong.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 PM  
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Typically does everyone who ranks organically for these search terms also do PPC? For my better keywords I just rank more then one page, maybe my yelp page too. Much cheaper then ppc, or am I doing it wrong.
If I'm committed to buying, I will look at paid ads before I look at organic search results.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM  

Trade: Google AdWords, Local SEO, Facebook Advertising
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
If you're getting all the leads you can handle from organic traffic, there isn't a reason to run PPC. But if you have the money, and you want more leads, should you run a campaign? I'd say yes.

There are a couple of reasons for this. The first one is that different people tend to click on organic v. paid. If you run a campaign, you aren't just cannibalizing from existing organic traffic, you're really tapping into a new source of traffic, those users who tend to click on the paid results before even scrolling down. You tend not to get those folks if you just rank organically.

The other reason to run a campaign is to identify highly profitable keywords that you don't know about yet. Especially with Google cutting out the keyword referral data, this is the best way to get information about which keywords send you the best leads. Hope that helps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMidwinter For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (10-05-2013), elecbysullivan (05-15-2014), wncbuilder (10-16-2013)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM  

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMidwinter View Post
The key is to track conversions carefully (including call tracking) so you know exactly what keywords are sending you the good leads.
Starting out, how many clicks should I expect per conversion?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:16 AM  
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 1,418

ive tried it multiple times

my cost per click was always around $2-4

id end up paying $50-150 a month and rarely got a call....

my last campaign was very small and limited to my hometown only....i actually got a few calls and paid around $30 a month.....i decided it wasnt worth it....the good thing is i noticed it raised my google ranking...more people clicked on my website and it went up in searches.....

get a good website and skip the google adwords.....put the thousands into your website and not into adwords

i dont think .20 cents is going to get you anything.....for me it was $2 or more to even show up
Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 AM  

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
ive tried it multiple times

id end up paying $50-150 a month and rarely got a call....

my last campaign was very small and limited to my hometown only.....i actually got a few calls and paid around $30 a month.....i decided it wasnt worth it....
How much did you spend total?

Advertisement

Last edited by QualityContract; 05-18-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Edit

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: