Cold Calling Scripts (HELP!!) - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Cold Calling Scripts (HELP!!)

Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, i been in construction business for few years now. After the economy went down our company has been lacking in sales. So we are in process of setting up cold call telemarketing in our office. Im thinking of having 2-3 telemarketers between 3:00pm to 8:00pm. Thinking of paying them 8 dollars an hr plus 1% commission on every sales. Am i paying them okay or do i need to pay them more?

Also, i dont have any cold calling scripts.

Does anyone know where i can get the best cold calling scripts?

If you have any scripts can you post it on here?

Thank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Cold Calling Scripts (HELP!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngaepaz View Post
Hi, i been in construction business for few years now. After the economy went down our company has been lacking in sales. So we are in process of setting up cold call telemarketing in our office. Im thinking of having 2-3 telemarketers between 3:00pm to 8:00pm. Thinking of paying them 8 dollars an hr plus 1% commission on every sales. Am i paying them okay or do i need to pay them more?

Also, i dont have any cold calling scripts.

Does anyone know where i can get the best cold calling scripts?

If you have any scripts can you post it on here?

Thank you

This has always worked well for me:

Steve: Good evening Sir, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling [magazine subscriptions] General Contracting Services.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428963/

Advertisement

NormW (12-09-2009)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE, AND CONTINUE TO THE INTRO PAGE AND TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, THANKYOU AND WELCOME TO CT", also please do not double post, GMOD

Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Trade: Fine Wall Finish Application
Rewards Points: 25

You should make up a simple flow chart. For example, "Hi does your design service do interiors?" If "no" then, "thanks for your time.good bye", if yes then, another question like "Do you ever include venetian plaster in your remodels?" If no then you ask one question, if yes then a different question.

Aside from the 1% commision, I would have other miles stones and rewards. For example, $20 for every appointment set and maybe a $50 gift certificate for the most appointments sets and $50 for the one who has collected the most email addresses.

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hello - Cold calling can be very effective in generating leads, appointments and sales. Here are a few tips I recommend:

1. Use a CRM (database) to manage your lists, call backs, call notes, etc.
2. Have a plan - what do you send them when they want more info, are you offering anything for an initial meeting, how will you deal with a 'not interested' - will you still them mail them something.
3. Have a secondary goal - get them on an email list to start communications via an ezine/blog/website.
4. Notable difference - when you call you need to stand out in the crowd, you can do this a couple of ways 1)make sure your service offerings are different/better than the competition 2) segment your list and when you call tell them you specialize in whatever that is. For example, "My name is Bob and I'm calling from XYZ Contractors. We specialize in transforming basic or outdated kitchens into beautiful, functional and smart gathering spaces - they also make a great place to cook dinner too. (with a smile on your face). We are currently offering ......

Hope that helps, keep us all posted. Wish you all the best. Nicole

Last edited by MktgMatters; 12-08-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: hit send too early
Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Sales, Consulting
Rewards Points: 278

I've ran home improvement call centers in the past. When writing scripts I always thought about what I would need to hear from the caller to get me interested in the product/service if I was the "targer customer".

1. I would highly recommend purchasing a calling list from a vendor and choosing the demographics you feel best suit your needs whether it be cold calling businesses (design firms, architects, builders) vs. residential customers.

For example get 1000 names of 1. owners of single-family properties, 2. married 3. been in the home between 5-10 years 4. and combined incomes between $100-$200K.

This way you're not wasting your time calling prospects that have no value to you.

Don't forget to scrub the names against the Do Not Call List.You can ger in some pretty good trouble if you call a HO that is on that list and they decide they want to make trouble for ya.

Think about any objections someone might verbalize and have some rebuttal waiting for them.

Train them very well, watch them carefully, and reward their successes!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #7
Proprietor

Trade: TILE!
Rewards Points: 1,060

I have worked as a telemarketer for Honeycutt Home Improvement and Aladdin Heating and Cooling.
I've had my ups and downs with those two companies, plus mine own. And I've found that getting up early in the morning and going to jobsites works great for commercial projects, so long as you are licensed and insured, and have workman's compensation. If you aren't taking FICA and State taxes out of your employee's checks: shame on you.
Also, on the reverse, if the weather is nice, I've found canvassing to be a far better substitute during the hours of 11a.m to 2p.m (around lunchbreak) in neighborhoods that do not have a no soliciting sign. If they do have a soliciting sign, make telemarketing calls only in those areas.

As far as a script is concerned: so long as you know how to compose properly structured sentences, you can be an immigrant for all I care, as long as you pay taxes. It's those contractors that don't pay taxes quarterly that I have a problem with.

You do know how to read and write, don't you? (yes)
Okay, great. Then, what is wrong with the script you currently have?

P.S. I think the current pay structure you have is outstanding, so long as you are paying the right people. You need to give them a quota and see who is achieving results. Like a wise Vice President once said to me: "don't be afraid to write Sole Prop on your business card. It speaks volumes."
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Proprietor

Here is the script I use in breakfast places: "Hey dude, can you tell your manager there is a crack in his floor tile. If the building inspector comes by for a sanitation score, they will be sorry for not fixing that. Here is my card. Have a good day."

It works a good percentage of the time. Only got 2 jobs off it. One was a $600 repair. And one was a whole new floor and cove base.

The closing line at the estimate on the later was: "sorry I stepped on your shoe sir. But ma'am, don't you think that good looking bathrooms, even in something as simple as a breakfast place, sell more pancakes."

100% true story with real results.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
Proprietor

Sorry Nathan. Have to get this off my chest before going to the gym. But:

Hey James from 5 star heating and cooling in Indian Trail, NC. Sorry that you did not get immediate results from the web design contract we had. How did YODLE.com work out for you?

If you need some telemarketing: call 704-605-0907

and have a good day sir or ma'am.

P.S. Come on moderators, let an ignorant European at least post an advertisement to get a plane ticket to Savannah, GA. #yut

best viewed at 1280 x 600 pixels

Last edited by MattCoops; 12-09-2009 at 05:18 AM. Reason: credentials
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
www.magicpoolservices.com

Trade: Pool Service
Rewards Points: 502

Telemarketing is a great sales technique, however you only have about 10 seconds to get your message across.

I would idenify yourself
Explain what you do
End with an open ended question

I hope this helps
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #11

Trade: Fine Wall Finish Application
Rewards Points: 25

Yes, we only have 10 seconds so sometimes I sit down with a list of builders, architects etc.. and say "Hi My name is Ayn with Italian Plasterworks we are a fine wall finish application business with a showroom in Solana Beach. I would just like to send you an email with our contact information as we would love to bid on the next wall surface job. Would that be OK?"

Nobody objects as it gets them off the phone very fast. I then send an email but mainly put them on my constant contact list.

Advertisement